Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2019, 8:41 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mr8
In an IRROPs situation with a paid ticket connecting onto a separate NH PNR (UA award ticket). My UA flight was rebooked onto a different flight making my connection very tight. Can I get a letter or something to show NH when I arrive in NRT so they can rebook me onto another flight if I miss my original flight?
You can provide you UA travel information and NH can see the details-- but what's the object? NH is under no obligation to do anything regardless of the reason if you fail to appear in time.
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer, AA, Qantas, SPG, Marriott
What's with United's weird pricing setup? I wanted to grab a multi-city flight from New York, to Grand Rapids to Melbourne (via Chicago+LA) - $5,895 AUD??

When I price the EXACT same flights separately - $2,040 AUD

Now while I don't mind booking these separately, is this an issue with the United booking system which doesn't allow for this route on a single booking?

Becomes even slightly cheaper if I book the GRR to ORD seperately, but that's not worth it.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jubbing
What's with United's weird pricing setup?
Welcome to airfare pricing. It's not required to pass any sort of common sense (or cost per mile) test.

In this case, the two separate tickets (NYC-GRR, GRR-MEL) price considerably cheaper than a one-way from NYC-MEL with a stopover at GRR.

International one-ways are often insanely expensive.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
As in this case, international fares often prohibit end-on-end combinations with fares in the origin region to avoid unintended consequences.
jsloan, wpcoe and Repooc17 like this.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 9:42 pm

For W fare class for BOM-EWR and EWR-DFW they are quoting 35k miles + $550 for Upgrade to Polaris and First for the domestic without waitlist. Is it true that United 1k members don't have to pay the copay amount of $550?

Do they offer better deals at checkin ? (500-700 for an upgrade to Polaris is worth it for me)

Current seats available -
  1. J9
  2. JN9
  3. C9
  4. D9
  5. Z9
  6. ZN9
  7. P6
  8. PN0
  9. PZ0
  10. IN0
Old Oct 26, 2019, 10:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by randoteam3
For W fare class for BOM-EWR and EWR-DFW they are quoting 35k miles + $550 for Upgrade to Polaris and First for the domestic without waitlist. Is it true that United 1k members don't have to pay the copay amount of $550? .
that is not correct, all elites are subject to copays on non-CPU routes

Do they offer better deals at checkin ?
sometimes, not always
$500 would not be very unlikely and a reasonable chance there will be no seats available at check-in
Old Oct 26, 2019, 10:07 pm

I have seen posts mentioning you can get dollar upgrades offers(zero miles) even with W fare class at checkin? If yes any idea on the range?
Old Oct 26, 2019, 10:17 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I have seen posts mentioning you can get dollar upgrades offers(zero miles) even with W fare class at checkin? If yes any idea on the range?
Have seen between $1,000 and $2,000 when available. You might look through UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase to Day of Departure (TOD) for some examples.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 12:31 am

Thank you. On a United ticket, if you have Swiss Air segments and you are crediting the miles to Asiana. For the Accrual chart, do we check for Asiana-United or Asiana-Swiss ?

Ex Swiss Air Segment T class and is roughly 8000 miles.
Based on Asiana-United chart : earn 75% of miles.
Based on Asiana-Swiss chart : earn 50% of miles.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you. On a United ticket, if you have Swiss Air segments and you are crediting the miles to Asiana. For the Accrual chart, do we check for Asiana-United or Asiana-Swiss ?
If you are crediting the miles to Asiana, you’re looking at Asiana’s chart for Swiss Air flights. United has nothing to do with it.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 1:25 am

Cost me $1,500 USD last time to upgrade from a G class fare - 15 hour flight and it was delayed 45 mins so it was just worth it. Just. So W is possible, I just happened to grab the only seat left and there were at least 20 people requesting an upgrade.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 5:07 am

Woa, so much variation in what's possible by different agents. One says i can upgrade only one segment for $3000 or 35k miles + $500, others says upgrades not possible at all and will have to reprice the whole ticket for $4500.

What is generally the best time to call their customer service for international travel?. I am assuming they use different call centers.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 5:10 am

Woa, so much variation in what's possible by different agents. One says i can upgrade only one segment for $3000 or 35k miles + $500, others says upgrades not possible at all and will have to reprice the whole ticket for $4500.

What is generally the best time to call their customer service for international travel?. I am assuming they use different call centers.
Keep calling and hanging up really. I had one agent who said it was booked through a travel agent so you can't upgrade (which is false since I had upgraded the outbound journey) - another said you can but with points, another said upgrades aren't possible (though online check-in gave me the option to upgrade).
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I have an LAX-YVR trip coming up that's United on the way up and Air Canada on the way back. Air Canada lets you input your passport information immediately, but United doesn't seem to have anywhere to put this information in right now. Is this right? Do we have to put our passport information in at all ahead of time, or do we just show it at the gate?
Old Oct 28, 2019, 2:28 pm

I'm looking to book a roundtrip flight on Thai Airways later this year for travel within SE Asia.
I know I can get PQM if I book direct with them, but I'm hoping to also get PQD (I'm a flight or two away from Gold for 2020).
I tried looking online at united.com to see if I could get a United issued ticket (starting with 16) but no luck.

My question is - can I call United and book flights that don't show up online? Are agents able to issue tickets with partner airlines?

Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.