Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2019, 6:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by rattydukes
you could also just try destroying any united.com cookies in your browser
You're suggesting someone toss their cookies?
EmailKid and gobears293 like this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: None
Thanks, findark: your idea worked, but I had to call three times to find the right agent to resolve it. Please send me your mailing address, so that I can write you a check in the amount I saved.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 1:14 am

Programs: United 1K
I'll be flying UA 101 (IAH-SYD) soon. Is there a hot mid flight meal in J? Or just the standard grilled cheese / tomato soup?
Old Nov 11, 2019, 6:55 am

If booking J class on Thai Airways for BKK-DAC-BKK using my UA miles, I need to spend 50000 miles + USD 100 taxes. A few questions:
(1) Is this a good deal compared with the ticket price of USD 970 quoted at the TG website?
(2) Will I get to visit TG’s business class lounges at BKK and DAC if booked on UA miles?
(3) Since UA does not reveal seating plans, will I be able to pick my seats later on using TG’s website?
Old Nov 11, 2019, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Resonant Programmer
I'll be flying UA 101 (IAH-SYD) soon. Is there a hot mid flight meal in J? Or just the standard grilled cheese / tomato soup?
It's the same as other similar flights - dinner after departure, breakfast on arrival, and hot snacks on demand mid-flight. There is no special third meal service if that's what you are asking.

Originally Posted by rahman99000
If booking J class on Thai Airways for BKK-DAC-BKK using my UA miles, I need to spend 50000 miles + USD 100 taxes. A few questions:
(1) Is this a good deal compared with the ticket price of USD 970 quoted at the TG website?
That's a complicated question. Generally, spending 50k miles to fly less than 2,000 is not seen as a great deal. However, 50k miles for $870 is 1.74 cents per mile, which is generally higher than the agreed-upon value of UA miles. If you must make that specific trip and your only options are the UA award or a $970 ticket, the miles are not a bad option.

Note also most miles/cash valuations assume an unlimited number of miles; if e.g. you won't earn many United miles in the future and 50k represents an "odd lot" for you, this might be less of a deal.

(2) Will I get to visit TG’s business class lounges at BKK and DAC if booked on UA miles?
I would assume so. There are no special restrictions for being on an award ticket - your access is the same as if you flew paid J.

(3) Since UA does not reveal seating plans, will I be able to pick my seats later on using TG’s website?
Yes.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The SQ lounge at BKK has much better food (though the brand new TG "Prestige" lounge is worth checking out).
Originally Posted by findark
Yes.
TG IT is extremely finicky and I have not been able to pick seats on the website in some time. The TG app usually works better.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 1:50 pm
guw

I'm unable to find Lufthansa First class inventory when trying to book via United.com. There is on Google Flights as well as on the LH website. Is this a temp. issue or a glitch in the system (because of conflicting fare class A with LH First and UA E+)?
Old Nov 11, 2019, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by guw
I'm unable to find Lufthansa First class inventory when trying to book via United.com. There is on Google Flights as well as on the LH website. Is this a temp. issue or a glitch in the system (because of conflicting fare class A with LH First and UA E+)?
United-marketed LH flights (codeshares) do not have First inventory, which is probably your issue. If you need it plated 016, you should probably be able to call United and spell out the segments with the LH flight numbers.
guw likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 6:15 pm

Thanks to findark and Kacee for informative responses. Cheers.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 7:34 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Kacee
TG IT is extremely finicky and I have not been able to pick seats on the website in some time. The TG app usually works better.
Just last night I booked a TG segment on a LifeMiles award booking, and had no problem securing a seat assignment on the TG web site. I even was able to get my seat assigned on a connecting NH flight ... on the TG web site. That latter part surprised me. I logged into the NH site just to make sure, and it was there.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 1984SW
Just last night I booked a TG segment on a LifeMiles award booking, and had no problem securing a seat assignment on the TG web site. I even was able to get my seat assigned on a connecting NH flight ... on the TG web site. That latter part surprised me. I logged into the NH site just to make sure, and it was there.
When it works, the TG website will allow you to pick seats on other carriers that utilize Amadeus. For a while you could use it to pick seats on OZ flights, even when there was no TG segment on the itinerary.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 2:49 pm

I have a United Explorer Credit Card, so I am fine booking basic fares since I get a free bag, a carry-on, and priority boarding. This policy applies with my companion.

My question is:

If I purchase a basic economy flight for my gf on my card, to fly on a different day than me, does she get any of the benefits?
Old Nov 12, 2019, 2:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jamesinclair

If I purchase a basic economy flight for my gf on my card, to fly on a different day than me, does she get any of the benefits?
No

Benefits go to the primary cardholder when they fly and to companions when on the same PNR as the primary cardholder.
jamesinclair likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesinclair
No. Needs to be on the same PNR as yourself.
jamesinclair likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 3:06 pm

Thanks for the response. That changes the price equation since she would have to pay for a bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.