Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2019, 6:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by st3
On retrofitted planes is there any difference in the actual Polaris seat between a 772v5 and the 76L? A lot of people seem to complain about the small footwells and I don't know if they are the same for every seat?
If someone is complaining about footwells, it is the old B/E Diamond seat, not the Polaris seat.

The seat on the 76L will be narrower than on the 772, with less personal space. But the footwell per se is not a problem.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 8:30 pm
st3

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by Kacee
If someone is complaining about footwells, it is the old B/E Diamond seat, not the Polaris seat.

The seat on the 76L will be narrower than on the 772, with less personal space. But the footwell per se is not a problem.
Thanks, with the retrofits it can be hard finding out exactly what version a reviewer was on unless they are savvy enough to know the differences.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 1:49 am
Original Poster

I have booked a flight A-B-C, D-B-A where A-B-C is PE (R fare) and D-B-A on C (Z fare). I need to change D-B to Q-B. If I use the Change flight option, the D-B segment has no Z availability and therefore the price different is huge (including the $310 change fee). I was wondering If I call United, would the agent be able to book Q-B on Economy instead of C so will ended up having a low change fee?
Old Sep 27, 2019, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by absdotan99
I have booked a flight A-B-C, D-B-A where A-B-C is PE (R fare) and D-B-A on C (Z fare). I need to change D-B to Q-B. If I use the Change flight option, the D-B segment has no Z availability and therefore the price different is huge (including the $310 change fee). I was wondering If I call United, would the agent be able to book Q-B on Economy instead of C so will ended up having a low change fee?
Did you mean Q-B has no Z space? I doubt it's possible to do what you want, for a number of reasons

(a) flight changes usually force re-validation of downline inventory, so you can't "hold the space" on an existing flight
(b) your Z fare is from D-A; if you add a fare break in B it will get complicated (and likely expensive)
Old Sep 27, 2019, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
Did you mean Q-B has no Z space? I doubt it's possible to do what you want, for a number of reasons

(a) flight changes usually force re-validation of downline inventory, so you can't "hold the space" on an existing flight
(b) your Z fare is from D-A; if you add a fare break in B it will get complicated (and likely expensive)
An agent might be able to do a long sell to hold inventory, but I agree this is likely a fool's errand. Also, some UA fares are written so that they can't actually be downgraded.

OP: Price out A-C / Q-B / B-A with multi-city search and see what you get. That's the best estimate you'll be able to get.

To get a more accurate answer, you'll need to identify A, B, C, D, and Q, and provide the original ticketing date.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jsloan
To get a more accurate answer, you'll need to identify A, B, C, D, and Q, and provide the original ticketing date.
and original fare rules.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
and original fare rules.
That's why I asked for the original ticketing date... but, yes, now that United provides the fare rules, I guess it's possible to copy them all in here.

Just the fare codes themselves would be a help.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 10:20 am
Original Poster

That's why I asked for the original ticketing date... but, yes, now that United provides the fare rules, I guess it's possible to copy them all in here.

Just the fare codes themselves would be a help.
The fare codes:
A-B-C RKRCME3W (A - European city)
Q-B-A ZRCILW
Old Sep 27, 2019, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The fare codes:
A-B-C RKRCME3W (A - European city)
Q-B-A ZRCILW
Sorry, the fare codes by themselves aren't sufficient. They're just a replacement for one step of the lookup process. We'd still need A, B, C, D, and Q, along with the original ticketing date. If you're not comfortable posting that information, try the multi-city search as suggested above. There's just not likely to be a great answer here, unfortunately. Can you fly from Q to D and still catch your original flight?
Old Sep 27, 2019, 10:55 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Can you fly from Q to D and still catch your original flight?
Another option is to wait to change the return ticket until after flying the outbound. So only the returned is repriced.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Sorry, the fare codes by themselves aren't sufficient. They're just a replacement for one step of the lookup process. We'd still need A, B, C, D, and Q, along with the original ticketing date. If you're not comfortable posting that information, try the multi-city search as suggested above. There's just not likely to be a great answer here, unfortunately. Can you fly from Q to D and still catch your original flight?
Here are the cities
zrh-ewr-dca
bos-ewr-zrh

need to change iah-ewr-zrh
ticketing date 9/25/19
Old Sep 27, 2019, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here are the cities
zrh-ewr-dca
bos-ewr-zrh

need to change iah-ewr-zrh
ticketing date 9/25/19
Is it possible to fly IAH-BOS-EWR-ZRH?

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Another option is to wait to change the return ticket until after flying the outbound. So only the returned is repriced.
While that's true, I don't think it helps much in this case. You'd still either need an IAH-ZRH through fare, with whatever inventory it had at the time, or you'd need a combinable IAH-EWR + EWR-ZRH fare. Most UA intercontinental fares aren't combinable in this way.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 1:52 pm

When UA upgrades your cabin, do you get the PQMs with that cabin upgrade?
Old Sep 27, 2019, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by clin9383
How did the upgrade happen? It depends.
clin9383 likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 2:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by clin9383
Did you do a cash upgrade? Or did you use an upgrade certificate or miles or get a complimentary upgrade?
On the former maybe (need to know when and how), on the latter no.
Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON'T!
clin9383 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.