Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and weve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just cant find it or arent sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Old Sep 2, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by findark
Yes, however unless your companion is *G, I believe LX is in the set of stingy carriers that will not allow them to also check two bags.
She should be *G by the end of the year, so I'm banking on four checked bags for our trip.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 1:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by physioprof
Is it correct that if departing LHR on UA out of Terminal 2 that it is not possible to first visit airside of Terminal 5 (to go to the Fortnum & Mason store)?
Correct. You would need a T5 BP.
physioprof likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Correct. You would need a T5 BP.
At what point in the process do they check boarding passes if attempting to use the bus transfer between LHR terminals?
Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:56 pm

Hello, if an airport has a change fee waiver, can I also change an award ticket? My flight is CLE -> SFO (15 hour layover) SFO - > TPE (EVA). There is now award space open on the afternoon EVA flight. Can I switch to that flight for free? They have issued a change fee waiver for night flights at SFO because of runway re-pavement.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Eclipsed830
Hello, if an airport has a change fee waiver, can I also change an award ticket? My flight is CLE -> SFO (15 hour layover) SFO - > TPE (EVA). There is now award space open on the afternoon EVA flight. Can I switch to that flight for free? They have issued a change fee waiver for night flights at SFO because of runway re-pavement.
Yes it applies to awards. Generally people are switching away from the waiver airport (SFO) . So the agent might be a little confused but give UA a call.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes it applies to awards. Generally people are switching away from the waiver airport (SFO) . So the agent might be a little confused but give UA a call.
Thanks! Do you know what the maximum stopover they might allow is? If my Cleveland flight lands at 9am on Monday, do you think I can take the 1pm flight on Tuesday for example?
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eclipsed830
Thanks! Do you know what the maximum stopover they might allow is? If my Cleveland flight lands at 9am on Monday, do you think I can take the 1pm flight on Tuesday for example?
Generally, it would be 24 hours. 28 seems like a very tough sell.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Generally, it would be 24 hours. 28 seems like a very tough sell.
Figured. I have to run home and finish packing two 70lbs boxes before my next flight; 3 hours might be a bit rushed. I'll just keep it as is. Thanks for everyone's help.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Why is United offering me a bundle for $30 to get a standard checked bag when I am logged in as a platinum member?
Kannai likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pdg63
Why is United offering me a bundle for $30 to get a standard checked bag when I am logged in as a platinum member?
Because it does not take into account status or subscription packages at that point. Note at that point the passenger for the ticket purchase as not yet been selected, you could be purchasing for someone else even though signed in to your account.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold,DL SM.UA,HA
Flying UA Business out of BCN. Which lounge if any can I use?
Old Sep 15, 2019, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by JFKATC
Flying UA Business out of BCN. Which lounge if any can I use?
Just one contract lounge, get an invite on checking in
Old Sep 17, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA plat, Hertz, gold , Bonvoy gold,IHGplat
I will be flying to Lisbon on Luthansa and then Air Portugal. Returning to the US on Air Canada. The simple question is will I get my miles credited to mu United account?
Old Sep 17, 2019, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Srklaw7
I will be flying to Lisbon on Luthansa and then Air Portugal. Returning to the US on Air Canada. The simple question is will I get my miles credited to mu United account?
As long as you provide your MileagePlus number, yes.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
I live in Germany, and my MP account is registered to my German address.
Now I moved within Germany and tried to update the address.
I always get the error message that the state/province/region is invalid. I've tried "Bavaria" and "BY".
I even reached out to United about this via email, but apparently they misunderstood and thought I'm trying to move the account out of the U.S. - and they suggested to add the new address using the website.

Is this a known bug with German addresses? Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.