Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by SenSCL
Therefore, please allow a few rookie questions:

- I am surprised that I have not received a formal recognition (aka automated email) that my status challenge was completed. Are UA usually not doing that? I understand that they will also send a welcome kit, but have read that this takes a couple of weeks.
- My digital card now shows valid until 01/20, but the status is supposed to extend into 2021. When will this be updated?
- Is there such thing as a „soft landing“, if you don‘t qualify for your current status or any higher tier?

Thanks for some constructive replies and please apologise, if any of the answers that I am looking for, could be found elsewhere.
Regarding the digital card... it won't update to show a 2021 expiration until the end of this coming January.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 8, 2019 at 3:05 pm Reason: cleanup after moved
Old Oct 8, 2019, 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
If the upgrades clear, your Economy Plus fees will be refunded.
Almost certainly will have to request a refund, as UA's default is to keep the money.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: LH FTL, LATAM Platinum, KL Silver, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Regarding the digital card... it won't update to show a 2021 expiration until the end of this coming January.
Thanks, that‘s a first piece of valuable information!

Does UA still provide physical cards?
Old Oct 8, 2019, 3:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
...- Is there such thing as a „soft landing“, if you don‘t qualify for your current status or any higher tier? ....
Generally no (except for GS)
Does UA offer "soft status landings"?
Does UA still provide physical cards?
Only for Plats and higher -- will take 4-6 weeks
2019 Premier Kit discussion - contents, pictures, actual delivery, ....

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 8, 2019 at 3:09 pm
Old Oct 9, 2019, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Kacee
Almost certainly will have to request a refund, as UA's default is to keep the money.
Thanks!
Old Oct 10, 2019, 5:13 am
Original Poster

I have an upcoming flight on UA metal aaa-bbb-ccc, ddd-bbb-aaa. The aaa-bbb leg was successfully upgraded by GPU. I need to change the ddd-bbb-aaa segment. If I do that from the united.com, would that affect my upgraded flight aaa-bbb? I recall that in the past the agent said to me that I should wait until I flew the upgraded flight and then request changes. Is that still correct?

Last edited by absdotan99; Oct 10, 2019 at 9:25 am
Old Oct 10, 2019, 10:51 am

I am United Silver (thru Marriott), looking to book an Economy trip LHR-DEN-LHR with a friend of mine.

Can I book 1x Basic Economy ticket (for my friend), and 1x Economy ticket (for me), on one PNR?

The way I understand it, doing it this way would mean we have 2x luggage between us, and would be able to get Economy Plus seats for both of us - is this correct?
Old Oct 10, 2019, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by shadowline
Can I book 1x Basic Economy ticket (for my friend), and 1x Economy ticket (for me), on one PNR?
No, everyone on the PNR has to have the exact same itinerary, booking code, etc.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
even as a 1K, I am not immune to middle seats in the back of the plane
Old Oct 12, 2019, 9:20 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by mfirst
even as a 1K, I am not immune to middle seats in the back of the plane
If your work forces you to travel at last minute, I can see that, but in my over 20 years of travel starting with no status, I have NEVER sat in a middle seat except by choice to be in an exit row. My philosophy is, if I can't get a decent seat, I will NOT fly and either not go or go some other time. I've never found a fare low enough to break that rule @:-)
Old Oct 12, 2019, 12:25 pm

I am gold, by virtue of being MM, and my wife is also by virtue of the MM spousal/partner benefit. If I get an award ticket for her and my son, using my award miles, will they both be able to book into E+ with seat selection at time of purchase (i.e., go for the exit rows)? Domestic Y itin. I *think* so but I haven't done this for a while so not sure. Thanks in advance!!
Old Oct 12, 2019, 1:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
I am gold, by virtue of being MM, and my wife is also by virtue of the MM spousal/partner benefit. If I get an award ticket for her and my son, using my award miles, will they both be able to book into E+ with seat selection at time of purchase (i.e., go for the exit rows)?
Yes.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 1:41 pm

Thanks! Those of you who attend to this thread are the best!!
Old Oct 14, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite (Lifetime Gold), United 1K
Wasn't sure where to pose this question - is it just me, or is there a significant drop in availability in First Class/Business seats? I initially noticed this when checking my upcoming flight on 3/1 to Kona, HI (see screenshot)... but i'm also noticing it for routine flights to San Francisco as well.

Old Oct 14, 2019, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Sounds like https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...-same-one.html ?

(It's just a bug.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.