Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why can Google find a bookable UA itin but United.com can't find the same one?

Old Oct 8, 19, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond

I'm running into more and more issues where United won't sell me a seat on specific flights (even though it appears to have availability in Expert Mode) but when I run the itinerary through flights.google.com, the purchase goes through OK.

As an example, trying KOA-DEN-EWR on 11/19 for a ticket in first/business, J=5, JN=5, C=1...yet the UA website shows only economy is available whereas first isn't. But when I try to purchase the same through flights.google.com, it looks like I can buy 5 seats up-front for this flight.

When pricing out other trips, Google also comes up with lower fares than what United does ...even though it's ticketed through United.com as a single UA ticket. I was doing LAX-LHR, EWR-SIN, and SFO-HKG in Polaris and the United site wouldn't give me flights I wanted and/or it did for more than going through Google. Am I doing something wrong or is this a typical UA technology glitch?

Seems wide open, but can't book.
Old Oct 8, 19, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The one in question is pretty typical.. it's getting confused between Business-marketed and First-marketed flights. Not sure why it came back today, but I saw also. Try searching for Y and then you'll see F.
Old Oct 8, 19, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Diamond (no I will not use the new name), Marriott/ SPG lt Plat, JPM Reserve, Amex Plat
I ran into this trying to book EWR-CDG-MUC-EWR over christmas. Matrix showed availability in Z going and P coming back with a fare $2k less than the lowest one United.com was showing. I just called and they were able to manually build it out and it came to the exact same fare that was showing on the matrix.
Old Oct 8, 19, 4:20 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by DErg View Post
I ran into this trying to book EWR-CDG-MUC-EWR over christmas. Matrix showed availability in Z going and P coming back with a fare $2k less than the lowest one United.com was showing. I just called and they were able to manually build it out and it came to the exact same fare that was showing on the matrix.
If you were using multi-city search on Matrix, beware that it has bugs and will try to combine segments on a single fare if they meet the layover requirements (4 hours domestic, 24 hours international), but it does not correctly check for married segment inventory availability.
Old Oct 8, 19, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
If you were using multi-city search on Matrix, beware that it has bugs and will try to combine segments on a single fare if they meet the layover requirements (4 hours domestic, 24 hours international), but it does not correctly check for married segment inventory availability.
actually, UAs own site has this bug, where it doesnít check married segment availability. Itís been going on for years. So sometimes searching XXX-YYY, it will find a flight connecting in ORD for say, $250, but searching multi-city XXX-ORD then ORD-YYY will be available for, say, $180, on the exact same flights. This is one reason I almost always search multi-city, the other being UAs site is buggy in that it will also often just not display perfectly legal and decent connections when searching XXX-YYY, and so if you want those options, mutli-city is the only way to book it.
AceReport, leoo, perkele and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 8, 19, 6:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by findark View Post
The one in question is pretty typical.. it's getting confused between Business-marketed and First-marketed flights. Not sure why it came back today, but I saw also. Try searching for Y and then you'll see F.
+1

I pretty much never search for J/F even if that's what I intend to buy.
Old Oct 8, 19, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
+1

I pretty much never search for J/F even if that's what I intend to buy.
Ironically, I always do, because that way I never see Basic Economy
Old Oct 8, 19, 8:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by findark View Post
Ironically, I always do, because that way I never see Basic Economy
They let you turn BE off on the app. Wish they offered that on the website.
Old Oct 9, 19, 6:11 am

It's most likely an issue with Google.
Old Oct 9, 19, 7:02 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by siwiem View Post
It's most likely an issue with Google.
How is it an issue with google when the OP was able to successfully purchase a ticket searched for and priced on google, but could not be found on .bomb?
Old Oct 9, 19, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Weatherboy View Post
I'm running into more and more issues where United won't sell me a seat on specific flights (even though it appears to have availability in Expert Mode)
Booking class availability is only half the story, as you agreed you understood when you enabled expert mode.

It's probably some fare construction issue that UA.sux is screwing up that google (nee ITAsoftware) is getting right.
Old Oct 9, 19, 10:37 am

Programs: UA:1K AC: 50K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Gold
I have seen this quite a bit. If I can price it on Google I click through to buy it through United.
Old Oct 9, 19, 12:32 pm

What happens with IRROPS when your ticket is purchased through Google instead of UA? Is it the usual pile of 3rd party vendor issues?
Old Oct 9, 19, 12:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Long Zhiren View Post
What happens with IRROPS when your ticket is purchased through Google instead of UA? Is it the usual pile of 3rd party vendor issues?
Contrary to the inaccurate thread title, Google isn't selling the ticket, it's just constructing the fare and providing a link back to united.com to purchase the ticket.
tstauck likes this.
Old Oct 9, 19, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
They let you turn BE off on the app. Wish they offered that on the website.
well, sort of. When you turn BE off on the app, it just doesnít account for/display it on the initial search page. Once you click in to a specific flight, the BE fare still shows, and you still have to know not to click on the fare to the farthest left (I mean, thereís a blaring warning if you do, but still).

Search this Thread