Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2019 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
How can UA management keep straight faces going back on their Polaris launch statement of “game changer!”

Hello Oscar?

It is kind of a game changer that they can go this low.. Though I am sure that's not quite what they meant when they made that statement.

Seeing this, for sure my TPAC Star Alliance flights will be on ANA from now. (Though I'll probably lean even heavier to sticking with JAL as ANA is also on a downward trajectory)
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cricketer
No issues with pace of service - though being in 1L I'm done ahead of time
The 77W has kept the mid-galley position in Polaris, so this is one instance where the staffing positions didn’t change Feb 1. One FA position was taken out of Y.

It’s quite interesting that the airline eliminated the mid-Galley position on the 789, which has 48 J seats, and kept it on the 77W which has 60, and the 788 has 36 J seats. One FA friend shares with me today that the 789 Galley position has become the most undesirable, with the 77W suddenly the most, given the Galley FA/PAX ratios.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by greenpau

The 77W has kept the mid-galley position in Polaris, so this is one instance where the staffing positions didn’t change Feb 1. One FA position was taken out of Y.

It’s quite interesting that the airline eliminated the mid-Galley position on the 789, which has 48 J seats, and kept it on the 77W which has 60, and the 788 has 36 J seats. One FA friend shares with me today that the 789 Galley position has become the most undesirable, with the 77W suddenly the most, given the Galley FA/PAX ratios.
The 772/50J also removed the mid-galley position, apparently causing the crew member to sprint back and forward between the galleys.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Well I'm assuming because they were Japanese. Which also explains the care taken in heating and plating
h
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by djmp
Apparently causing the crew member to sprint back and forward between the galleys.
Correct ... the Galley FA on SFO-SYD was running between both galleys, and said it is very stressful. The 763 at 30J is manageable, like the 77W. Apparently the high-density 763/48J will also run with one Galley FA and production-line service flow.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by djmp

The 772/50J also removed the mid-galley position, apparently causing the crew member to sprint back and forward between the galleys.

Unreal. Core4!!

I reiterate the importance of passengers writing in to complain about this absurd service flow after each Polaris flight. The company clearly does not care about feedback from its employees, as there's no way this scheme was actually developed with input from frontline staff.

It's a boneheaded cut that makes employees miserable, cheapens the product as compared to its competition, and frustrates passengers. Just stupid all around.
demkr likes this.

Last edited by EWR764; Feb 12, 2019 at 10:24 am
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hopefully, this entire szenario / FA complaints is not resulting in a reduction of J-seats in the end!
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Hopefully, this entire szenario / FA complaints is not resulting in a reduction of J-seats in the end!
They are actually expanding the number of J seats!
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Change I don't Like

I flew this past weekend on IAD-PEK 788 and experienced the "new and enhanced" services for the first time.

The portion is clearly smaller and the presentation is awful. Pictures say it for me. I removed the vegetable and noodles to show the actual amount of chicken served on the plate. The mount of chicken served is just embarrassing! The noodle was overheated and became dry and hard to chew.

Service was slower than before. I cannot confirm but it seems one FA short in the Polaris cabin. I was in row 4 and I noticed more FA foot traffic between the two galleys during meal services moving food around.

Attached Images      

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Feb 12, 2019 at 7:20 pm
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
That food looks so nasty.
EWR764, rch4u and greenpau like this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Service was slower than before. I cannot confirm but it seems one FA short in the Polaris cabin. I was in row 4 and I noticed more FA foot traffic between the two galleys during meal services moving food around.
They cut the mid-galley position here, keeping only the forward galley. There isn’t the storage in one galley for all 36 passengers plus crew meals, however, so they need to keep running between the two. There are four FAs total now for the 788 in J (as opposed to the old five and previously six when the 788 was launched) ... 1 x Galley, 2 x Aisle, 1 x Purser/Aisle.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:58 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
That food looks so nasty.
I have had that dish before (prior to the pre-plating downgrade), and it is actually quite good. It did, however, look a little better than in these pictures.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: LX Senator; AF Platinum and Club 2000; AA Platinum for life (former EXP)
These photos should be used in a marketing campaign by a UA competitor. Fly us for real food, or fly UA for this slop.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: united
United is so strange. I can see an airline pursuing a strategy of luxurious service in international J. I can also see an airline pursuing a strategy of just being adequate and keeping costs under control.

What I don't see the value of is this constant push-pull, where service yo-yo's up and down.
EWR764, demkr, Artpen100 and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:17 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dilanesp
United is so strange. I can see an airline pursuing a strategy of luxurious service in international J. I can also see an airline pursuing a strategy of just being adequate and keeping costs under control.

What I don't see the value of is this constant push-pull, where service yo-yo's up and down.
This roller coaster has been the norm for airlines that aren't state owned or regulated or otherwise protected from the cyclical market for air travel. I see the same rhythm with AA and DL, although the specifics of what they add and cut do vary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.