FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2019 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
That food looks so nasty.
Looks like a nearly empty Panda Express chafing tray.

Lesser than fast food quality here. What a mess.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
That food looks so nasty.
...but the carrots are nicely cut......
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by EWR764
It was nice for the 15 minutes or so it lasted, but anyone who expected some of those 'frills' to survive in the long term was only kidding themselves, now that several waves of middle managers looking to cut costs have taken their turns with the red pencil. It's only a matter of time before we start to see cuts to the Polaris Lounge product... if you don't believe that, just wait and see.

The sad thing is, the product is going to continue to degrade, until someone wakes up and realizes, "Hey, our crappy product is actually costing us business again" and product investment is trumpeted with glossy pictures, press releases and a media event. Then, a few months later, the cost-cut cycle simply begins anew...
Agreed. If anyone feels like throwing back to the old days, look at this early 2000s BF service on CO... what a drastic, drastic difference. AirlineMeals.net - Airline catering * the world's largest website about airline catering, inflight meals and special meals
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:34 am

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Agreed. If anyone feels like throwing back to the old days, look at this early 2000s BF service on CO... what a drastic, drastic difference. AirlineMeals.net - Airline catering * the world's largest website about airline catering, inflight meals and special meals
Crazy ... 7 dedicated crew assigned to the 772 J cabin (today it’s 4.5), separate salad, side dishes, decent wines, a choice of crackers, and a decent espresso before landing ...

Today it’s a Lean Cuisine frozen entree and rubbing alcohol wine that’s rumored to make you blind ... but only on the outbound!
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by transportprof
This roller coaster has been the norm for airlines that aren't state owned or regulated or otherwise protected from the cyclical market for air travel.
Except the U.S. air travel market is absolutely booming right now. So this isn't about cutting losses. Someone nailed it earlier, current UA management is only willing to spend on cap ex, not op ex. So plenty of dollars for hard product, while the soft product goes in the toilet.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:13 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Feb 2019
UA283 SFO-> IAH, aircraft 787-9, Lunch,
but I'm not sure it's United First or Polaris?

Last edited by phoxay; Feb 14, 2019 at 2:30 am
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:09 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
I had my first post-cut flight last night (IAH-LHR). Other than the pathetic-looking casserole dish (I wish I had read the threads above about the still-served-in-the-bowl spicy chicken), I didn't notice much difference.

Last edited by st530; Feb 17, 2019 at 3:16 pm
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by greenpau

Crazy ... 7 dedicated crew assigned to the 772 J cabin (today it’s 4.5), separate salad, side dishes, decent wines, a choice of crackers, and a decent espresso before landing ...

Today it’s a Lean Cuisine frozen entree and rubbing alcohol wine that’s rumored to make you blind ... but only on the outbound!
My last paid Polaris flight was January 2018, if I ever get the notion of taking another I come back to this thread to re calibrate my thinking
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I have a photo database of all the meals I had in the past 15 years of flying UA (including PMCO and PMUA), and I don’t believe I have seen anything this bad as the casserole plating of entrees (both quality and quantity) of today.

cesco.g, EWR764, demkr and 6 others like this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
I look forward to trying out Delta One and Virgin Atlantic Upper next month on my trip to the UK.

While I'll certainly miss the Polaris lounge, I'll compensate for it at the Clubhouse.

The ridiculous cost cutting at UA has gotten so bad that I truly miss the old BusinessFirst and PS service with the delicious salads, dressings, and generously sized entrees, as opposed to cabbage and mango in a cereal bowl, and cheap meat with processed cheese as an appetizer.

Polaris was marketed as an upgrade, but truthfully, soft-product wise, it was a downgrade.
EWR764, Benj K, BlueSky72 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Except the U.S. air travel market is absolutely booming right now. So this isn't about cutting losses. Someone nailed it earlier, current UA management is only willing to spend on cap ex, not op ex. So plenty of dollars for hard product, while the soft product goes in the toilet.
I agree that the market is strong now, but I'd suggest that op-ex cuts begin at the peak of the market because:

1. At the macro level, when demand is strong and competition is limited and the US big-3 get to flex their oligopoly. Any booking away will simply get filled with other customers, so the revenues will remain strong, leading to....

2. At the micro level, when revenues are strong, C suite bonus time can be extra lucrative - if there's a greater than forecast surplus at year end. Cutting opex is the easiest way to pump that cash into the balance sheet, with a good chunk of it going to feed those bonuses for "stretch" and "above and beyond" performance!

I've been on boards where the compensation committee followed just the logic that I'm suggesting lies behind the current cuts.

So our Polaris casserole meals are helping to fuel Oscar and Scott's super sized bonuses this year, and they are going to get quite a big reward unless the global economy tanks suddenly (and this is certainly not out of the question).
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by transportprof
I agree that the market is strong now, but I'd suggest that op-ex cuts begin at the peak of the market because:

1. At the macro level, when demand is strong and competition is limited and the US big-3 get to flex their oligopoly. Any booking away will simply get filled with other customers, so the revenues will remain strong, leading to....

2. At the micro level, when revenues are strong, C suite bonus time can be extra lucrative - if there's a greater than forecast surplus at year end. Cutting opex is the easiest way to pump that cash into the balance sheet, with a good chunk of it going to feed those bonuses for "stretch" and "above and beyond" performance!

I've been on boards where the compensation committee followed just the logic that I'm suggesting lies behind the current cuts.

So our Polaris casserole meals are helping to fuel Oscar and Scott's super sized bonuses this year, and they are going to get quite a big reward unless the global economy tanks suddenly (and this is certainly not out of the question).
Completely agree with this analysis.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by demkr
Polaris was marketed as an upgrade, but truthfully, soft-product wise, it was a downgrade.
I respectfully disagree. The original inception of Polaris was an upgrade, with upgraded meals, additional desserts (petit fours), new crockery, wine flights, and so on. It was only after the initial rollout of Polaris, that UA kept decimating the service, thus where we are today. If UA kept the original, initial Polaris rollout the way it was, then it wouldn't be a downgrade. Unless there's something I'm missing.

Question: Is there any way the service can realistically get worse? I mean, it could go to a domestic-style all-at-once service, with cheesecakes/pies replacing the sundae service, and the small domestic-style salad replacing the salad course, but that wouldn't be competitive. Is there anything UA can further do to decimate the service, while remaining competitive? In other words, have we hit rock bottom here?
EWR764 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I respectfully disagree. The original inception of Polaris was an upgrade, with upgraded meals, additional desserts (petit fours), new crockery, wine flights, and so on. It was only after the initial rollout of Polaris, that UA kept decimating the service, thus where we are today. If UA kept the original, initial Polaris rollout the way it was, then it wouldn't be a downgrade. Unless there's something I'm missing.

Question: Is there any way the service can realistically get worse? I mean, it could go to a domestic-style all-at-once service, with cheesecakes/pies replacing the sundae service, and the small domestic-style salad replacing the salad course, but that wouldn't be competitive.
Is there anything UA can further do to decimate the service, while remaining competitive? In other words, have we hit rock bottom here?
Don't challenge them! If UA can do anything well it's find a new rock bottom.
EWR764, BlueSky72 and zeer0 like this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium

Question: Is there any way the service can realistically get worse? I mean, it could go to a domestic-style all-at-once service, with cheesecakes/pies replacing the sundae service, and the small domestic-style salad replacing the salad course, but that wouldn't be competitive. Is there anything UA can further do to decimate the service, while remaining competitive? In other words, have we hit rock bottom here?
In the last month, the domestic salads I've had were somewhat more substantial than on Polaris and transcon. Last month it was all cabbage and mango in a small plate.

Just a few years ago, they would have a cart with choice of dressings and toppings such as bacon bits, croutons, etc
EWR764 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.