Search
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2019 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Flying Blue Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriot Plat (TWA / NWA - million miler)
the new years line of wine is pretty disappointing. they removed the california Cuvee blend, and the replacement was not that great. Of what they had last night the Pinot was drinkable. Otherwise, things continue to slide downhill for Polaris.

Cheese plate is down to 2 cheeses, from 4. Had the 4 bites of Tuna appitiser...

All have to say is the polaris lounge food makes up for the crappy meal service. I suspect they plan to cut back food service futher with removal of food from the second galley next month.

UA20 - IAN - AMS 19th
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Z Man
the new years line of wine is pretty disappointing. they removed the california Cuvee blend, and the replacement was not that great. Of what they had last night the Pinot was drinkable. Otherwise, things continue to slide downhill for Polaris.
If the new wine offerings are disappointing, I’m .

Removing the California Cuvée, makes me . I avoided it after my first partial glass of it.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Z Man

Cheese plate is down to 2 cheeses, from 4. Had the 4 bites of Tuna appitiser...
Hmmm. I had 3 or 4 cheeses on the cheese plate earlier this week (FRA-IAH). Also, the wines weren't terrible. Two chardonnays available -- one from Wente Vineyards and one in a green bottle that I can not remember the name of, but which I selected and enjoyed. I ordered the Hake as a main -- it was ok, but a bit overcooked.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
January menus to & from SIN

SIN-SFO: (the Malay-style perch was decent)
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
SFO-SIN:

Some glitch not letting me post even though the other pic was fine!

Choices were short rib, Ginseng chicken bowl, seared turbot fish fillet, Indian vegetarian
jonisflying likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Thorgils
We're flying UA863 SFO>SYD in early February (the day after the new pre-plating regimen takes effect). Under normal circumstances, should we be expecting this same menu (or do they differ ex SFO, for example, or get changed by calendar month)?

Since if the flight leaves punctually dinner won't get served until at least 02:30 (on our EST body time), I had naively been thinking that we had the alternative of a more leisurely earlier dinner in the SFO Polaris lounge. However, the lounge's thread here tells me that the full service restaurant there shuts down usually by 21:00 (the official time appears to be vague), notwithstanding the four or five widebodies scheduled to depart later in the evening.
We took this flight (departing like 11pm SFO time, right?) two weeks ago. We also had a full dinner in the SFO Polaris Lounge around 9:30pm/9:45pm (that dining room cioppino is really quite good, though small in portion size and the provided sourdough is a bit stale, but we supplemented with options from the buffet), then went to sleep as soon as we got on the plane (as it seems, did many passengers). No issues with being seated and ordering food in the Polaris Lounge dining room around 9:15pm.

When providing our dinner selection, we indicated we wanted our dinner approximately 8-9 hours into the flight (to be triggered by you asking the FAs once you're awake) - the FAs are usually cool with this, as long as you recognize it will take about 30 minutes from the time you tell them you want your dinner to the time it's served. My husband and I both took this option - to be fair, both of our meals were served a bit lukewarm and not hot, and Express Dining style (to be expected, as in the middle of the night I don't expect them to course things out for just us) all on one tray. We had the Ginger Chicken/Potstickers option. It's fine, but I liked the Thai style udon with chicken better. Make sure to ask for a spoon to scoop up the broth in the Ginger Chicken dish with.

ETA: to appropriately quote Thorgils' post
kirkwoodj and Thorgils like this.

Last edited by bluepig1; Jan 24, 2019 at 4:49 pm
Old Jan 27, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro

UA90 EWR-TLV January 27, 2019

I opted for a-la-carte dining in the Polaris lounge, so did not try any of the above. Breakfast options were an omelette or a fruit plate.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by legalalien

UA90 EWR-TLV January 27, 2019

I opted for a-la-carte dining in the Polaris lounge, so did not try any of the above. Breakfast options were an omelette or a fruit plate.
Identical menu on UA923 LAX-LHR last Thursday. Had the fish wtih rissito and it was excellent--best dish I have had on United in quite some time.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:51 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Flew SFO-LHR-SFO last week. On the outbound, had the ginseng bowl. Didn’t care for it. The dumplings had much too strong of a lemongrass taste and the broth was oddly thick with lots of mushy celery and carrots. No idea what they were going for; it’s an odd amalgamation of random pan-Asian elements. On the return had the hake with Chardonnay cream sauce and quinoa which was excellent. I’ve always had good luck with fish on UA.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 2:37 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Identical menu on UA923 LAX-LHR last Thursday. Had the fish wtih rissito and it was excellent--best dish I have had on United in quite some time.
Exact same menu on UA 2 (SIN-SFO) last Monday. Had the chicken bowl. Thought it was very good. Would have it again.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:24 am

Another vote the risotto fish is decent. Lemongrass soup fine too.

On the way back LHR-EWR the beef was dreadful. Same stringy garbage they throw on the PS flights - just some sliced carrots and potatoes for the side. Appetizer was skimpy - just mozzarella and tomato.

Wines as noted have gone downhill this year. Champagne was Ayala.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
They do a nice job with the turbot. I order that on Premium Transcon flights whenever it's available.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:56 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
SFO-AKL
UA917

Boeing 777-300ER
Meal: dinner, breakfast

First time seeing the Ginseng chicken bowl, so picked it. Good substitute to the spicy chicken noodle, but some might find the lemongrass a bit overwhelming. Didn't really taste the ginseng, but I enjoyed it nonetheless, good flavor for airplane food.

Menu

Breakfast - looked like a tray of product placement
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Make sure you eat before boarding! A glimpse of the new "enhanced" Polaris meals in the tiny domestic casserole dishes, LAX-NRT ...

Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rch4u
Make sure you eat before boarding! A glimpse of the new "enhanced" Polaris meals in the tiny domestic casserole dishes, LAX-NRT ...

Example of first "preplated" items to show up ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.