Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

So Did Hot Bites Officially Bite The Dust?or is the Report of Their Demise Premature?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So Did Hot Bites Officially Bite The Dust?or is the Report of Their Demise Premature?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2019, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
Recently: nothing ex CDG, but I think that is normal (too short). Sometimes crews don't know what they're catered. FRA should get the normal tomato soup + grilled cheese / something stew, right?
East Coast bound maybe, still would expect CDG-SFO to be hot bites-catered.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by tcdtcd
I find the westbound TATL crews hate to serve them and thus hate to advertise them. Many times I get an eye roll when asking for one mid flight with the obligatory “it’ll take me 20 minutes to heat up”🙄.
The TPAC Asian crews are more than happy to serve them - and proactively offer them.
They are still alive! For now.
Yes exactly! They'll do it if you ask, but not happily. Other flight's, they somehow notice as soon as you wake up in the middle of the flight and come over and ask you.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cesco.g
East Coast bound maybe, still would expect CDG-SFO to be hot bites-catered.
Right—I think the discussion was for East Coast.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I skipped dinner on the late SFO-SIN flight a couple days ago and they ran out of grilled cheese and tomato soup 4 hours into the flight. Annoying thing was the FA suggested it when taking my meal order.
In fact, I head her suggesting it to everyone within ear shot — telling them skip the main course and just have a salad and cheese plate instead, and the hot bite later.
All they had was a “rice bowl” with 2 small lumps of bland chicken in it.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 6:29 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by chavala
I skipped dinner on the late SFO-SIN flight a couple days ago and they ran out of grilled cheese and tomato soup 4 hours into the flight. Annoying thing was the FA suggested it when taking my meal order.
In fact, I head her suggesting it to everyone within ear shot — telling them skip the main course and just have a salad and cheese plate instead, and the hot bite later.
All they had was a “rice bowl” with 2 small lumps of bland chicken in it.
That's really smart of the flight attendants, ensuring that they get the unused main course meals from disinterested Polaris customers.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Silver
i got my reply finally:

I am sorry to hear about your recent inflight dining experience recently. I escalated your concern to our Catering Team, and our Director confirmed that tomato soup and grilled cheese is still available as part of hot mid-flight snack offering on flights over 12 hours. However, she also stated that these are provided on a rotational basis; veggie chili is rotational alternative to our Sheperd's Pie. We apologize for any inconvenience it may cause in the future if your preference is on a rotation.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PBIFLL
i got my reply finally:
veggie chili is rotational alternative to our Sheperd's Pie. We apologize for any inconvenience it may cause in the future if your preference is on a rotation.
IME, ex-Switzerland & Germany veg-chili replaced the beef stew; sofar never come across the Shepherd'Pie except out of LON, and hope it will stay there.
Would love to see the beef stew back!
Old Nov 23, 2019, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
SFO to HND and back changes between noodles and fried rice. In talking to a purser a few months ago, she said they do a switch every quarter but it’s only two items a year, so A B A B by quarter, and different for each direction. They are also actually listed on the menu but not obvious to most folks. I’m usually one of the very few who orders one, as I am sick of the normal meals since I travel the route so much. I just find them better options occasionally than the normal entrees.

Often times the FA puts two portions together in an entree bowl without prompting since they feel bad I skip the meal services apparently.

Availability varies by hours flown on the route. Also the 787-V (that’s what a crew called it but I’m not sure what that is other than an older 787) doesn’t have galley space for hot snacks so on those birds, they have noodle cups heated up by hot water.

The tomato soup and grilled cheese is not served on California to Japan routes or back. Only California to China, because of the longer flight times. I assume also on other longer flights to central and east coast destinations.
vaguba likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Had the grilled cheese and tomato soup on EWR->HKG last week. Was heated upon request and very tasty.

Quite a difference from when they are heated and held at temp until ordered.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
BOM-EWR had an Indian dish and the tomato soup / grilled cheese combo on Friday November 22, 2019

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.