Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

So Did Hot Bites Officially Bite The Dust?or is the Report of Their Demise Premature?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So Did Hot Bites Officially Bite The Dust?or is the Report of Their Demise Premature?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:42 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold

Well I just got back from Europe. One flight was LAX - LHR in Polaris BC and the other MXP - EWR Polaris BC. Each time that I asked the FA for hot bites, I was told on the LAX - LHR flight that its not catered on the route and on the MXP - EWR, the FA's seemed confused and after I explained to them what it was with the whole tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich, they looked around in the carts to see if any was loaded and came back to me about 10 min later and told me that there was no hot snack items.

The menu still has "Anytime A La Carte Menu" which states to ask the FA's about "today's selections." Was this just my bad luck or has Hot Bites Officially been cut for good? I remember back when United changed it from it being advertised on the menu to "Ask the FA's" but it looks like none are being loaded.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:53 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
On the red eyes from the west coast, SFO-LHR and LAX-LHR, they got rid of the cottage pie. It was explained to me that most people sleep. I did have the cottage pie on the return flight in November so at that time they were still available. There were no cottage pies available on my LAX-LHR flight last Friday (but in line with my understanding, although I always ask).

I believe removing the hot midflight snacks on the red eyes was one of the "enhancements" to Polaris announced last year.

Last edited by Aussienarelle; Dec 31, 2018 at 6:42 pm
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:03 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I had the grilled cheese and tomato soup both directions EWR-HKG this past week. They also had a hot noodle with meat option as well.

Maybe they're limiting it to the longer flights, like pajamas?
wxguy likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:36 am

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
I've not seen hot bites TATL and on short TPAC (i.e. SFO-NRT) for at least the last 6 months.

​​​​Even cold snacks have fallen below the level of what's offered in the domestic F snack basket...
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by onthesam
I've not seen hot bites TATL and on short TPAC (i.e. SFO-NRT) for at least the last 6 months.

​​​​Even cold snacks have fallen below the level of what's offered in the domestic F snack basket...
On my two flights, snacks were the domestic snack basket stuff along with leftover desserts and cheese plates left on a trolley.
chavala likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Perhaps I average 2 international roundtrips per month (one flight per week), I found myself sick of hearing tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. More often than not, it is the only hot bite choice.

On flights departing China, you can forget about any hot bites most of the time. On flights departing US to Asia, it seems they are still available subject to FA’s discretion.

I have not had hot bites on transatlantic flights in 2008 partly due to the short distance of the flights between East Coast and EU.

I miss the sandwiches and wraps when Polaris was first rolled out. I’d rather UA bring those back.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Dec 31, 2018 at 7:45 am
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Perhaps I average 2 international roundtrip per month (one per week), I found myself sick of hearing tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. More often than not, it is the only hot bite choice.

On flights departing China, you can forget about any hot bites most of the time. On flights departure US to Asia, it seems they are still available subject to FA’s discretion.

I have not had hot bites on transatlantic flights in 2008 partly due to the short distance of the flights between East Coast and EU.

I miss the sandwiches and wraps when Polaris was first rolled out. I’d rather UA bring those back.
What was surprising was that the MXP - EWR FA's said they've never heard of "Hot Bites" before.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:21 am

I did SFO-SIN last month. On the outbound, FAs were practically begging anyone standing in a galley to stretch or wait for a bathroom to take hot bites. On the inbound, when I asked, one FA looked everywhere, saw nothing, and then just gave me a sandwich from an uneaten crew meal.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
It's United................................
BlueSky72, HGHUA and bman1002 like this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by seat38a
What was surprising was that the MXP - EWR FA's said they've never heard of "Hot Bites" before.
I'm not surprised - only recently have many pre merger UA FA's gotten back international routes after the seniority lists merged......
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I usually sleep through most of the flight between dinner and landing on TATL flights so I don't know about hot bites. On TPAC flights, I've been able to get hot bites on all flights (EWR-NRT/HKG,SFO-NRT/ICN/AKL/SYD) regardless of direction. However, I've only been offered once, all other times, I had to request it. I don't call it "hot bites", I just say "do you have anything hot?" It is usually very hot as it has been sitting in the oven all night
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
A few months ago (can't remember which flight but it was TPAC), I asked for the tomato soup and grilled cheese and the FA said they no longer have it.
20 minutes later I walked to the back Business cabin to stretch my legs and saw a bunch of people eating it. I asked the other FA and got it right away.
Go figure.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
On my last trip to HKG in November, I could smell the grilled cheese when I was trying to sleep. So, it's there in both directions on that route. But I never really wake up to ask for one. Even If I were awake I would not ask for one. I already eat too much on planes.
cranky1K likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: UA GS
Just had a grilled cheese + soup 2 days ago on AKL-SFO. Loved it like always. Ex-AKL they seem to use higher end baguettes for the read.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ryder1650
Just had a grilled cheese + soup 2 days ago on AKL-SFO. Loved it like always. Ex-AKL they seem to use higher end baguettes for the read.
I noticed that too! Sometimes the bread is so hard it's a struggle to bite through it

Last edited by chavala; Dec 31, 2018 at 12:00 pm Reason: spell

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.