Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

So Did Hot Bites Officially Bite The Dust?or is the Report of Their Demise Premature?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So Did Hot Bites Officially Bite The Dust?or is the Report of Their Demise Premature?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nygiants242
A few pieces of beef, boiled potatoes, in a sauce.
That’s the beef bourguignon? Julia Child is rolling in her grave.
wrldtrav2013 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by totorn
Does anyone really believe that these changes are really the result of customer feedback?
I do to the extent that I believe one or two people have provided feedback about too much food or that they like/don’t like this or that. United management, like politicians or a five-year-old kid, is hearing the feedback they want to hear and ignoring the rest.
UA_Flyer likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by seat38a
What was surprising was that the MXP - EWR FA's said they've never heard of "Hot Bites" before.
and let’s not forget the old pasta course on ex-con flights out of Italy...
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
Originally Posted by 1015-1k
Is part of the issue the terminology “hot bites”? Are people asking literally for hot bites? I’ve been flying Polaris regularly since its roll out and have never associated that term with the Polaris experience. I always thought they were all “mid-flight snacks,” some of which are warm.

Then again, I’m not studying the menu regularly and have substantially lowered my expectations for snacks based on the decline in service.
I think you've hit on a source of confusion both here and with the FA's in terms of the terminology "hot bites". I knew immediately what that is, although I doubt a FA would. I usually go for a hot bite mid-flight on a TPAC. I know the FA don't always know they are available or what they are based on their reaction. They have never been on the menu or otherwise announced. They are just available on request. Oftentimes the FA have to do some searching to see if they any. The grilled cheese and tomato soup has been the regular. There have been some others that I'm struggling to recall, I think a noodle soup, and a beef dish?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
My menu says “Anytime ala carte menu. Indulge in our midnight snacks anytime after dinner service. Ask a flight attendant”. (not exact, typing in the dark here)
I don’t remember ever reading the words “hot bites”
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (Lifetime), United GS, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-la Diamond, Marriott Platinum
i see a couple of recent reports above of "shepherd's pie."

were you served shepherd's pie or cottage pie? (shepherd's pie has lamb in it; cottage pie is made with beef.)

these two dishes are often confused. not asking to pick nits, but because i rather like cottage pie, but i don't eat lamb at all.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Eadward
I think you've hit on a source of confusion both here and with the FA's in terms of the terminology "hot bites". I knew immediately what that is, although I doubt a FA would. I usually go for a hot bite mid-flight on a TPAC. I know the FA don't always know they are available or what they are based on their reaction. They have never been on the menu or otherwise announced. They are just available on request. Oftentimes the FA have to do some searching to see if they any. The grilled cheese and tomato soup has been the regular. There have been some others that I'm struggling to recall, I think a noodle soup, and a beef dish?
See here:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ss/dining.aspx

Under Mid-flight snacks, they use the exact term, "hot bites", and show the picture of the grilled cheese and tomato soup.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 8:46 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

The hot bites that I have had were chicken on rice (like kung pao), beef on rice and the cottage pie. There were others too, which I can't recall at the moment.

Many FAs don't know about them.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Tomato soup and cheese sandwiches were still a thing on my SIN-SFO flight 3 days ago.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:48 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by UK Stages
i see a couple of recent reports above of "shepherd's pie."

were you served shepherd's pie or cottage pie? (shepherd's pie has lamb in it; cottage pie is made with beef.)

these two dishes are often confused. not asking to pick nits, but because i rather like cottage pie, but i don't eat lamb at all.
It is cottage pie and very yummy.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:21 am

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
On SFO-SYD yestrday, I grabbed one of those half hummus sandwiches mid flight. When my partner woke up, he wanted one but they were gone, so we asked the FA if there were more. She said no, but she could see about getting us a crew sandwich if we wanted. But that there was also grilled cheese and tomato soup, or lobster mac and cheese, but we'd have to wait 20 minutes while she heated it up. He took the grilled cheese and soup and it was tasty....
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Under Mid-flight snacks, they use the exact term, "hot bites", and show the picture of the grilled cheese and tomato soup.
It uses "hot bites" in a sentence, not "Hot Bites" or anything else to indicate that it's a thing. At least based on the text quoted above, I wouldn't expect a FA or anyone else to know what I'm talking about by mentioning just two words out of context taken from a larger sentence on the website.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by Steve M
It uses "hot bites" in a sentence, not "Hot Bites" or anything else to indicate that it's a thing. At least based on the text quoted above, I wouldn't expect a FA or anyone else to know what I'm talking about by mentioning just two words out of context taken from a larger sentence on the website.
Agree.
Especially as those two words are in a sentence mentioning "...snacks and a variety of hot bites."
What exactly is this variety then?

The picture UA uses that shows the cheese sandwich and the soup is entitled "United-dining_soup_619x400.jpg", not "United-dining_hot-bites_619x400.jpg".

I think it might be prudent to ask specifically: "Could I please have a cheese sandwich and tomato soup, if you get a chance." as opposed to: "Do you offer hot bites on this flight?"
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by totorn
Does anyone really believe that these changes are really the result of customer feedback?
Pretty easy to look in the carts at the end of the flight and see what wasn't eaten.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
Originally Posted by zombietooth
See here:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ss/dining.aspx

Interesting. Had never seen official mention of their existence before. That is the traditional grilled cheese and tomato soup, although I've tended to get the soup in a cup not a bowl more recently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.