Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

So Did Hot Bites Officially Bite The Dust?or is the Report of Their Demise Premature?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So Did Hot Bites Officially Bite The Dust?or is the Report of Their Demise Premature?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:08 pm

I have not had it in over a year China-->US. I still get it US to China. However, due to the numerous cuts that Polaris has had over the past 24 months, I've decided to just fly coach. Hoping I'll requal for GS this year as my spend is actually up 10% yoy, but I won't get it for sure next year since I've decided it's not worth paying $5k to fly between Asia and the US in Polaris versus $500 in Y. I've been giving away most of my GPU's also since I've decided it's also not worth $1500 for a round trip versus $500. The quality has gone down soooooo much. I was really excited when Polaris first launched. Now, I'm disappointed. oh well, hello cattle class.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
I have not had it in over a year China-->US. I still get it US to China. However, due to the numerous cuts that Polaris has had over the past 24 months, I've decided to just fly coach. Hoping I'll requal for GS this year as my spend is actually up 10% yoy, but I won't get it for sure next year since I've decided it's not worth paying $5k to fly between Asia and the US in Polaris versus $500 in Y. I've been giving away most of my GPU's also since I've decided it's also not worth $1500 for a round trip versus $500. The quality has gone down soooooo much. I was really excited when Polaris first launched. Now, I'm disappointed. oh well, hello cattle class.
Wow. A pax who flips between GS and discount Y. Give the pax the product/service they want and they will pay. All about cost/benefit. I am also a value buyer, but it is not about the food for me but comfort and price. I did like the cottage pie but not enough to stop flying UA.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Maybe they're limiting it to the longer flights, like pajamas?
This is what I was told. Service has been enhanced to align hot bites with ultra long haul service where PJs and blankets are provisioned. Apparently we, the customer, asked for this as too much food was already provided on shorter sectors. FAs have also been instructed to only open wines as they are requested and share them between aisles using the credenza to stop waste. The latter makes sense.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (Lifetime), United GS, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-la Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I miss the sandwiches and wraps when Polaris was first rolled out. I’d rather UA bring those back.
this.

i fly EWR or SFO to NRT and also EWR to HKG six or seven times a year. you used to be able to go to the galley and get a decent sandwich or wrap... now, it's just whatever is left over from the dinner service, mostly cheese plates and brownies or some sort of fruit tart, supplemented by domestic snacks, like twix bars or potato chips. if you can find a helpful flight attendant, the response is as above... they either know nothing about it or they will serve you tomato soup twenty minutes later.

this is not such a big deal leaving from the USA, as the quality of the dinner service is pretty good (spicy thai chicken, anybody?), but the quality of the food ex HKG and ex NRT varies from pretty bad to awful. (YMMV.)

i'm spending 5K to 9k for a round trip business fare and more often than not, i'm bringing some of my own snacks on board, along with my own sprite zero.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
you really should try OAL, particularly PE on the asian airlines. For the type of spend you are talking about you will fly like a king. UA is a joke
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
I had the grilled cheese and tomato soup both directions EWR-HKG this past week. They also had a hot noodle with meat option as well.

Maybe they're limiting it to the longer flights, like pajamas?
I had it on that flight as well. IIRC they had some other hot bite options as well.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:28 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
My understanding of the "enhancements" would be that the hot snacks would be available by asking and that they would advertise it on the water bottles that they handout and NOT on the menu anymore. I got the water bottle with the tag and when I asked, I was told that the LAX-LHR route does not have them. I guess the only thing that is consistent is United's inconsistency.

BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by seat38a
My understanding of the "enhancements" would be that the hot snacks would be available by asking and that they would advertise it on the water bottles that they handout and NOT on the menu anymore. I got the water bottle with the tag and when I asked, I was told that the LAX-LHR route does not have them. I guess the only thing that is consistent is United's inconsistency.

That TATL route doesn't have them. Hence, the tag on the water bottle says "snacks" and not "hot bites." In your case, I would venture to guess the 'snacks,' if any, consisted of various leftover desserts, a cheese plate or two, and some crappy chips/crackers. If lucky, some fresh produce such as oranges that look and smell very good but then taste bitter.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by onthesam
That TATL route doesn't have them. Hence, the tag on the water bottle says "snacks" and not "hot bites." In your case, I would venture to guess the 'snacks,' if any, consisted of various leftover desserts, a cheese plate or two, and some crappy chips/crackers. If lucky, some fresh produce such as oranges that look and smell very good but then taste bitter.
I thought they had the hot bites TATL to the USA. Am fairly confident I had the cottage pie in November.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Perhaps I average 2 international roundtrips per month (one flight per week), I found myself sick of hearing tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. More often than not, it is the only hot bite choice.

On flights departing China, you can forget about any hot bites most of the time. On flights departing US to Asia, it seems they are still available subject to FA’s discretion.

I have not had hot bites on transatlantic flights in 2008 partly due to the short distance of the flights between East Coast and EU.

I miss the sandwiches and wraps when Polaris was first rolled out. I’d rather UA bring those back.
I flew UA six times last year from PVG and CTU to the US. I must have ordered the hot bites 4-5 times leaving China and they always had it. I have found that some of the crew are not aware of what it is and twice had to convince them to check on it. This is especially true for the younger FAs on the CTU flights.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Agree with the many posts about FAs who dont know anything about the hot bites, but then after looking through the carts miraculously find them. I even had one flight where they offered the hot bites as a breakfast choice since they hadn’t served any of them during the flight.

i do wish they would bring back the wraps and small sandwiches though.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
My experience: hot bites gone from most if not all TATL. Haven't been on West Coast - FRA lately to find out if the ultra-long TATL still have it but I've personally not seen them on flights even as long as SFO-LHR. Absolutely 0 hot bites out of ORD TATL. Menus and other marketing collateral no longer reflect 'hot bites' but rather refer to 'snacks.' No hot bites on shorter TPAC either.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA-GS 4M, Hilton Diamond , Marriott Platinum
I loved the hot bites, but my experience is the same as everyone else. Since I don’t like the tomato soup+grilled cheese, I am often left with no warm option.
On SFO to Europe and SFO to Japan, I am usually stuck with the remainders of the desert cart. I am sometimes lucky between the west coast and HKG or Sydney, where I sometimes can get a hot rice dish.

Above all, I miss the lobster Mac n Cheese days, the PJs on 8+ hour flights, the good chocolates before takeoff (as opposed to the way-too-sweet ones before landing), the nice cart with the initial drinks, the champagne that is not hidden from our view... Polaris sure has changed a lot recently, and it is not only the warm bites. Does anyone really believe that these changes are really the result of customer feedback?

Happy New Year!
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by totorn
I loved the hot bites, but my experience is the same as everyone else. Since I don’t like the tomato soup+grilled cheese, I am often left with no warm option.
On SFO to Europe and SFO to Japan, I am usually stuck with the remainders of the desert cart. I am sometimes lucky between the west coast and HKG or Sydney, where I sometimes can get a hot rice dish.

Above all, I miss the lobster Mac n Cheese days, the PJs on 8+ hour flights, the good chocolates before takeoff (as opposed to the way-too-sweet ones before landing), the nice cart with the initial drinks, the champagne that is not hidden from our view... Polaris sure has changed a lot recently, and it is not only the warm bites. Does anyone really believe that these changes are really the result of customer feedback?

Happy New Year!
In terms of inflight meals:

I see no difference between the pre-Polaris United Business and Polaris of today....other than the sweet deserts.

The downgrade is the elimination of noodle soup during mid-flight over the Pacific, and elimination of two choices of decent salad dressing.

I consider the current Polaris inflight meals as an overall downgrade from the former United Business offerings.

totorn, demkr, BlueSky72 and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA-GS 4M, Hilton Diamond , Marriott Platinum

In terms of inflight meals:
[…]
I consider the current Polaris inflight meals as an overall downgrade from the former United Business offerings.

Right on!
The new “low” for me:
-the weird brunch menu on CDG-SFO
-the frequently soggy nuts ex HKG and Tokyo. (Or have I just been unlucky?)

... all that, in addition to the diminishing mid-flight snack choices.. oh well...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.