Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

So Did Hot Bites Officially Bite The Dust?or is the Report of Their Demise Premature?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So Did Hot Bites Officially Bite The Dust?or is the Report of Their Demise Premature?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
In fine print. I don’t want people to take all my soup and grilled cheese.

Even though I wouldn’t pick other options I am happy to read these are being offered.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
On UA29 on Wednesday (SFO-SIN), I asked the FA if she had any hot snacks in the middle of the flight. She replied that she had the grilled cheese/tomato soup combo. I said do you have anything else hot. Her response: You mean "Hot Bites?" Loved it! It was Korean Barbecue Beef and it was yummy! BTW, it does take about 20 minutes to prepare.
On a recent ANA flight to NRT I awoke mid-flight feeling a little peckish. A FA rushed over and offered a bowl of the most sublime ramen I can remember. This stuff isn’t hard. UA, in many cases, has hot bites on board but the FAs can’t be bothered. How do we break this culture?
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Just to add another data point - on PVG-LAX the grilled cheese and tomato soup was available (I had to request). I asked about any other options and the FA said she didn’t see anything else except the prearrival meal. This time the grilled cheese was not so great - very thick bread and almost no cheese and not served very warm - soup was at least hot and served in a shooter cup.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Back to my earlier post, and supported by the recent reports here, hot bites will continue to be offered on ULH Polaris services over 11.5 hours where pajamas are also provisioned. That basically means all TPAC except SFO-PPT. Shorter-haul TATL don’t have them now. Personally, they were available on SFO-SYD, AKL-SFO, SFO-HKG but not loaded on SFO-LHR and SFO-FRA.

Totally agree with everyone that the FAs need to be given better information on them, but they’ve even told me they are often confused these days. They said it’s worse because the Galley FAs are usually on break mid-flight ... so they don’t even know where to look.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greenpau
....... but not loaded on SFO-LHR and SFO-FRA.

TATL HBs seem to be offered Westbound, but not on the shorter Eastbounds, which I am fine with.
In 2018 I had them on FRA-ORD/SFO, ZRH-SFO, LHR-LAX - all of them non-PJ runs.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:44 am

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
UA49 BOM-EWR 1/20: had the usual tomato soup (but some local variety and not the chunkier one from ex-US hubs) + grilled cheese
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:24 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by cesco.g
TATL HBs seem to be offered Westbound, but not on the shorter Eastbounds, which I am fine with.
In 2018 I had them on FRA-ORD/SFO, ZRH-SFO, LHR-LAX - all of them non-PJ runs.
I am pretty sure this is the way they are supposed to cater it. I kinda remember there was a service change around the opening of EWR Polaris lounge. Hot bites were dropped (at least from the East Coast) to Europe since the flights are 6.5-8.5 hours, they already cater two full meals, and with the opening of EWR Polaris you have the table service option as well. But return flights from Europe were supposed to be catered with the a hot snack option. UA also pointed out at the time that eastbound not even half of the J customers took two meals (and many took none) any way given that most want to sleep as much as possible. I thought it was very reasonable but a bit EWR centric since IAD still does not have its Polaris lounge but would follow this policy. No idea about ORD, IAH, DEN, SFO or LAX to Europe routes though
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Just flew IAD-NRT and asked the FA about Hot Bites. She wasn't immediately sure but came back and said they had noodles; a chicken dish and grilled cheese with tomato soup. Got the grilled cheese which was a bit overcooked but a decent snack.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:32 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Flew SIN-SFO yesterday. Awesome crew. They were proactively asking pax if they wanted the Kung Po Chicken Hot Bites or the Grilled Cheese/Soup combo for a midflight snack.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Flew SIN-SFO yesterday. Awesome crew. They were proactively asking pax if they wanted the Kung Po Chicken Hot Bites or the Grilled Cheese/Soup combo for a midflight snack.
Today’s UA2 had the same offering. ( Unfortunately with the most indifferent crew I think I’ve ever seen in 2MM miles on UA.)
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
And I flew NRT-EWR yesterday. Awesome crew as well. Mid-flight the FA asked if I wanted the tomato soup/grilled cheese or a hot chicken dish. Or both. Did.

Good thing, too. EWR-BOS was upside-down due to BOS wx (one runway and strong wind). I was given a to-go meal from the P Lounge for my rental car drive home. Cold bites on the road!
Pat89339 and BlueSky72 like this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 1:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle
Kiwi version of a pot pie available today AKL-SFO. It was tasty.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:38 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Are the hot bites still offered TATL westbound?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Grilled cheese and tomato soup on EWR-HKG...yum!
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Are the hot bites still offered TATL westbound?
I don't believe it is included with the new "express" (ie, stripped down) meal service

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.