Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: davie355
Tips are not expected in Polaris lounges, but employees are allowed to accept them.

Originally Posted by legalalien
Polaris employees are explicitly recruited to "non-tipping" positions
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
they were told not to expect any tips but be appreciative of what they do get and quickly pocket them; they don't want loose bills or a tip jar in sight to give the idea that tipping is expected.
Print Wikipost

Tipping in Polaris lounge

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DBam
Half joking, if I never tipped during some of those occasions, I probably would still be standing at the bar to this day.

What's a guy to do for a drink?
Then it's no longer a tip -- it's a bribe.
RandomNobody, IndyHoosier and DBam like this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by chavala
FWIW I always tip at SFO UCs. It is my home hub and I am there so often I know much of the staff by name. I tend to always get great service and almost never wait for a drink or the bill. In general very good people and staff.
UA_Flyer likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nomad420
FWIW I always tip at SFO UCs. It is my home hub and I am there so often I know much of the staff by name. I tend to always get great service and almost never wait for a drink or the bill. In general very good people and staff.
But do you tip at the SFO Polaris Lounge? Which is the question in this thread.
chavala likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
But do you tip at the SFO Polaris Lounge? Which is the question in this thread.
Only been in the Polaris lounge twice since it opened and only at the bar but yes I did throw a few bucks downs for some sparkling wine and maybe a bowl of bar nuts given to me. It's a choice and realize some may not want to tip.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Not recently !

Bear in mind service quality, especially at outstations like EWR are known to not nearly be as good as their hubs like LHR

-James
LHR is a hub but EWR is an outstation now?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Note the emoji at the end.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I tip when I use the sit-down dining at the Polaris Club. Usually $5 (unless the service is awful). And it's my own money - no reimbursement at all. I think I can live with that.
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I always tip using my own money when visiting the Polaris Lounge.
I'd be happy to tip with your money ...
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by joe_miami
By this logic, though, the FAs should also be tipped. And also the gate agents. And probably the baggage handlers.
you should tip service employees. FA’s are airline employees and have better benefits. Hell I tip whomever I come in contact with.
You can’t take it with you and I buy wife / kids / friends enough stuff already.
Let them dead presidents see the light of day for CS
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by rankourabu
How many of you tip out of your own money?
Not part of per diem/not expensed?

For those that fly for work, how much a year do you spend tipping airport staff? Wouldn't u rather buy something nice for your wife/partner/kid/mom for that money?
Do people really expense their tips? That seems bizarre to me except where it's included in a single credit card charge. Can't imagine expensing the housekeeping tips etc. that I leave.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 27, 2018 at 11:21 pm Reason: Please limit discussion to tipping while traveling with United
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SJWarrior

you should tip service employees. FA’s are airline employees and have better benefits. Hell I tip whomever I come in contact with.
You can’t take it with you and I buy wife / kids / friends enough stuff already.
Let them dead presidents see the light of day for CS
I bet a lot of lounge bartenders and servers make more than a lot of FAs, particularly since the former are making straight-cash tips that aren't subject even to the minimal restaurant-type withholding for tipped staff.
krazykanuck and chavala like this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by chavala
Any realistic person would agree that they shouldn't have to bribe their way to get a drink, whether or not it's a pre-paid service.

In regards to both UC and PL, UA shouldn't have any reason not to put up a sign in all lounges clearly stating "No Tips". On the other hand, they shouldn't have any reason to tell guests and members not to leave gratuities for good service. At the end of the day, I don't believe UA was ever dependent on gratuities for their FOH employees anyway, so I'm in favor of the former.

I suppose notifying CC or manager on duty of any tip-related concerns is a start.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:50 am

I tip 1 or 2 dollars per drink. The reason why? I have yet to find a higher RoI. Employee is happy, I feel good because I made someone happy. They laugh at my bad jokes. Typically get drinks faster and bigger measures.
janehoya and nomad420 like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 28, 2018 at 1:54 pm Reason: OT/OMNI content deleted
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:00 am
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by joe_miami
I bet a lot of lounge bartenders and servers make more than a lot of FAs, particularly since the former are making straight-cash tips that aren't subject even to the minimal restaurant-type withholding for tipped staff.
I don’t disagree, but they do work a lot more hours.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by DBam
At the end of the day, I don't believe UA was ever dependent on gratuities for their FOH employees anyway, so I'm in favor of the former.
But remember, these are not UA employees. They are employees of Sodexo, the company that operates the PLs.
DBam likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by SJWarrior

I don’t disagree, but they do work a lot more hours.
That's debatable considering the clock for FAs doesn't start until the door is closed.

Restroom attendants in the PL work even longer hours than bartender, and everyone uses the restroom (whereas not everyone drinks).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.