Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by narvik
Originally Posted by zombietooth
... a price of $1,455- for the W-fare and $2,622- for P+ (A-fare)...
Oh, THAT is not good.
That's common for TATL
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:23 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Flew in Premium Plus on the 787-10 from LAX-EWR yesterday. The seating configuration is 2-3-2, with 3 rows of PP seating. I switched from an E+ aisle seat to PP middle seat just to try out the product - figuring that it's only 4.5 hours of suffering in case of any issues.

Pluses
  • For the premium transcon flight, the business class headset was provided (and there's a good reason why - see minuses), along with a blanket that's better than the gauze blanket. No pillows.
  • The TV screen is significantly larger than standard economy screen.
  • Unlike some reported instances in the 773, I did not have any issue with the legrest. In fact, I used it most of the way, and it was comfortable.
  • The deeper recline was nice, along with seat cushioning.
  • While there is a galley separating Polaris and PP, along with 2 lavatories that technically belonging to the Polaris class (the curtain is behind the lavatory), most people in PE used those 2 lavatories instead of going all the way back to the back of the plane.
Minuses
  • There needs to be a manual explaining all the functions of the seat. For example, the seat tray requires you to flip a switch upwards, as opposed to pushing a button, for release. It was not intuitive. This is even more imperative since the FAs were also not trained on the new seat and functions.
  • The seat was narrower than standard domestic first class seat or old barcaloungers, and it's probably similar to the IPTE seats on the 767.
  • The power and headphone plugs are located within the alcove underneath the armrest. It's almost impossible to plug in any items without getting out of the seat. On the positive side, once the plug is in, there is a small slot on the side of the seat to store a phone or tablet for charging.
  • The side remote control does not come out of the seat, or at least the one for my seat did not. Therefore, you might be relying mainly on the on-screen control for everything.
  • This may be specific for Ship #1001 , but the plane is equipped with a dual plug for headphones, with 1 long prong and 1 short prong. While the standard plug worked for music, it did not work for movies. And since most 1-to-2 plugs adapters have 2 standard sized prongs, this means that you can't use your own headphone to watch movies. I am guessing this was a programming issue and can be fixed.
Overall, I thought the seat was nice and worth the changeover from E+, even in a middle seat. I would seriously consider flying in it in lieu of business class as an alternative.

Last edited by PTahCha; Jan 10, 2019 at 10:42 am
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Flew in Premium Plus on the 787-10 from LAX-EWR yesterday. The seating configuration is 2-3-2, with 3 rows of PP seating. I switched from an E+ aisle seat to PP middle seat just to try out the product - figuring that it's only 4.5 hours of suffering in case of any issues.

Pluses
  • For the premium transcon flight, the business class headset was provided (and there's a good reason why - see minuses), along with a blanket that's better than the gauze blanket. No pillows.
  • The TV screen is significantly larger than standard economy screen.
  • Unlike some reported instances in the 773, I did not have any issue with the legrest. In fact, I used it most of the way, and it was comfortable.
  • The deeper recline was nice, along with seat cushioning.
  • While there is a galley separating Polaris and PP, along with 2 lavatories that technically belonging to the Polaris class (the curtain is behind the lavatory), most people in PE used those 2 lavatories instead of going all the way back to the back of the plane.

Minuses
  • There needs to be a manual explaining all the functions of the seat. For example, the seat tray requires you to flip a switch upwards, as opposed to pushing a button, for release. It was not intuitive.
  • The seat was narrower than standard domestic first class seat or old barcaloungers, and it's probably similar to the IPTE seats on the 767.
  • The power and headphone plugs are located within the alcove underneath the armrest. It's almost impossible to plug in any items without getting out of the seat. On the positive side, once the plug is in, there is a small slot on the side of the seat to store a phone or tablet for charging.
  • The side remote control does not come out of the seat, or at least the one for my seat did not. Therefore, you might be relying mainly on the on-screen control for everything.
  • This may be specific for Ship #1001 , but the plane is equipped with a dual plug for headphones, with 1 long prong and 1 short prong. While the standard plug worked for music, it did not work for movies. And since most 1-to-2 plugs adapters have 2 standard sized prongs, this means that you can't use your own headphone to watch movies. I am guessing this was a programming issue and can be fixed.
Overall, I thought the seat was nice and worth the changeover from E+, even in a middle seat. I would seriously consider flying in it in lieu of business class as an alternative.
Thank you for the review. I'm currently deciding to book TPAC flight and Y (V) is $1460 whereas PE (R) is $2100 so it is right at the edge of being "worth it"...
The seat is supposed to be 2" wider and 4" more recline but it is hard to translate these numbers to see how much difference all that actually makes.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Barring an aircraft swap my SFO-HKG flight this week looks like it will have PP and that is currently where I have selected my seat

Would those that have flown it say it is better for fly PP or E+ with an open middle seat beside you (aisle seats in both cases) as at the moment there are some open on the seatmap

Thanks
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by whitethunder
Barring an aircraft swap my SFO-HKG flight this week looks like it will have PP and that is currently where I have selected my seat

Would those that have flown it say it is better for fly PP or E+ with an open middle seat beside you (aisle seats in both cases) as at the moment there are some open on the seatmap

Thanks
PP. And there is no guarantee that the middle will stay open anyways. Enjoy the free "upgrade".
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Where to sit 772?

Gonna give PP a try EWR-CDG on March 30 (Day 1) and the cabin is wide open. Other than avoiding the middle section, any seat recommendations? Bulkhead seats appear to be better with a combo leg rest and footrest, while non-bulkhead only have a footrest. Is bulkhead the way to go?

Last edited by elitefreak; Jan 18, 2019 at 7:38 pm
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by elitefreak
Gonna give PP a try EWR-CDG on March 30 (Day 1) and the cabin is wide open. Other than avoiding the middle section, any seat recommendations? Bulkhead vs not?
On our last flight from Asia in December, we got a Polarized plane. During the flight, my wife sat for a few minutes in different seats in the Premium Plus section. She stated that she would choose a bulkhead seat due to the big space in front of it.
elitefreak likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Bulkhead for me every time if possible.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:53 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
I'm planning a trip to Paris this summer and will likely book PP on the return. Currently, there's a 787-10 between EWR and CDG and a 777-200 between IAD and CDG. I noticed a few small differences:
787-10 is in a 2-3-2 configuration with 38" pitch, 6" of recline, and 19" width
777-200 is in 2-4-2 configuration with 38" pitch, 6" of recline, and 18.5" width

I wonder if 1/2" inch in width is noticeable.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 4:03 am

Gonna give PP a try EWR-CDG on March 30 (Day 1) and the cabin is wide open. Other than avoiding the middle section, any seat recommendations? Bulkhead seats appear to be better with a combo leg rest and footrest, while non-bulkhead only have a footrest. Is bulkhead the way to go?
just flew on these and the legrest is connected to the seat in the bulkhead row, not to the seat in front like other 2 rows I prefer the latter with my two frame but to each his own.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
PP. And there is no guarantee that the middle will stay open anyways. Enjoy the free "upgrade".
glad I listened and chose PP on my SFO-HKG yesterday.

For a data point I was moved from a PP seat I chose for months on the 77W to row 35e+ when we officially were getting a 77W a few days before flight. I switched back to 21K in the middle row of PP; an aisle seat on the far right pair of 2.

i gotta saw it wasn’t bad I am 6’3” and 260lbs and I was comfortable. It would be great for a couple, overall a little smaller than domestic first but manageable.

I actually used the footrest rest for the first time ever (as they usually don’t cater to tall guys) only negative my right foot hit some bar under the seat in front but I moved it a bit and it was fine.

Audio jack was not in the best spot I had to keep unplugging my headphones to get up each time to use the washroom.

Obviosuly didn’t get the PP soft product as it wasn’t for sale yet but I like the smaller cabin feel and overall had a good flight for economy.

I thought about this during the flight and I’d be comfortable paying 200 bucks more each way for PP but no more.

I am unsure if I’d spend a GPU on this I’d much rather fly on a Tuesday or Wednesday with an upgrade to Polaris than a Friday in PP.

Kmxu likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
FIrst time on B77W

Originally Posted by Kmxu
I took NRT-IAD flight today. I ended on a middle-section aisle seat on the first row. My original seat was a middle seat on the second row. After about 6 hours, my butt began to feel hurt. I put additional support on the seat to survive the 12 hour journey.
Positive impressions:
1) the aisle seat can become wider after lowering the arm rest (additional 2-3 inches);
2) tray table can be easily pull out and stored;
3) controls for seat recline and footrest are easy to use;
4) the seatback screen is bigger than in Economy cabin.
5) footrests other than the first row are nice.
Less favorite impressions:
1) seat cushion
2) video/audio/light controls
3) footrest on the first row (cannot extend forward much)
4) pulling out the video screen on the first row is not easy.

Finally, will I pay for these seats? I might do it with GPU on the lowly G fare.
I took SFO-TPE on 77W. I sat on the bulkhead row in the middle section. The leg space is just too large (i.e., nearly 2 feet). Therefore, there were a lot of traffic in front of me,, especially duing boarding. I also noticed that there were at least 6 inches of space remaining for the last row when these seats reclined. I was thinking that the 77W PP cabin can afford to use an updated and narrower version of pre-ITPE business seats for the space allocated in this cabin.

By the way, my butt hurted after 5-6 hours, which was not even a half way point to TPE.

Last edited by Kmxu; Jan 19, 2019 at 7:02 am
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by whitethunder

just flew on these and the legrest is connected to the seat in the bulkhead row, not to the seat in front like other 2 rows I prefer the latter with my two frame but to each his own.
Can you elaborate? Are you taller or shorter?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:26 pm

Can you elaborate? Are you taller or shorter?
sorry the bulkhead row legrest I believe would be too short for tall people, like most ones I have seen on planes that are connected to the seat

the second and third row they are not connected to your seat but come down from the seat in front so your big feet and legs and go over-top of them
Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:00 am

Programs: UA PG, IHG Diamond Amb
The bulkhead legrest wasn't ideal, but at 180cm (5'11") I managed OK..
However the bulkhead legroom on EWR-TLV was far superior than the other pe rows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.