Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion

This will be a discussion thread, for discussing the needed qualifications and timing of notification.
For posing formal notifications (but no discussion), use this thread Global Services 2019 Notifications (ONLY)
2019 GS Timeline
First requal notifications came out on 6 Dec 2018
First-time notifications started about 3 Jan 2019
Numerous reports that all regular notifications will be out by 11 Jan 2019
Initial successful reconsideration appeals reported 15 Jan 2019
First reports of challanges15 Jan 2019
For discussion of GS benefits, please use Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2018
For 2017 qualifications, see the 2017 thread and for 2018, see the 2018 thread

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to
MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Definitions

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.

rwsteelers had a good method for determining UA BIS -- the change in Lifetime Miles from the first of the year.

Originally Posted by sgopal2
Hello:

To help with collection of qualification metrics for global services, I created a Google Doc. This will be useful for future members. For ease of use, I created a form which feeds into a spreadsheet. The spreadsheet and form does not require a google account and is free to use.

Similar spreadsheets were created in years past, so I'm hoping to continue this tradition. Please take the time to enter your stats into the spreadsheet. Many thanks

LINK to entry form:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1SYm...xRKZ_EUD8/edit

View responses here ( read only ):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Print Wikipost

GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Speculation on when “Der Tag” will be this year?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: UA GS and 1MM; SPG/Marr Plat; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by manstein58
Speculation on when “Der Tag” will be this year?
Houston or Los Angeles
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott (Plat Premier, LT Plat)
Current GS (ORD based). Been GS since 2016
I'll end the year with $57.5K spend (all UA metal) Combination of domestic (Y,B,M,E) and Intl (C,D,Z) flights
Expecting to end the year at PQD $57,516 PQM 238,279 CPM 0.36
Hoping to requalify.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by jp12687

what business did you have in Antarctica?
And how does one get there on UA metal?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by drewguy
And how does one get there on UA metal?
Buenos Aires or Auckland
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jjmoore

Hopefully I will be invited back... will make it a ton easier to justify spending more $$ on UA metal vs. Singapore Airlines and others next year!!
MCO-IAH-TPE-SIN on EVA and NEVER EVER look back - you layover in TPE can be 90 min or 3.5 hrs. Flight leaves IAH around midnight and gets into TPE at 6amish (Same TZ as SIN) and if you take the 90 min layover you get into SIN at roughly 2pm - just in time to check into a hotel.

If you are one of the ones who wants to get there at 9am and start work, well, this isn't for you or go a day early.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Why is it not in UAs interest to publish a GS PQD requirement?

Seems like it would drive incremental revenue from PQD runs and eliminate the uncertainty that surely annoys high revenue passengers who just miss the cutoff.

CO published that they required $30K spend on their metal for Presidential Platinum. Why doesn't UA do the same? If the reason is that hub pax need to spend more, there are probably ways to enforce that as well.

They do have one - how much PQD does it take to reach 4mm - then that is your PQD quota
Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: United GS
seems like a no brainer
Old Nov 15, 2018, 5:19 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Global Services, Marriot Bonvoy Platinum, National VIP Status
Last Year:

PQD: 43,544 (all UA Metal)
PDM: 162,633
PQS: 151

2018 so far:
PQD: 69,020 (all UA metal less ~$1000)
PQM: 244,119
PQS: 135.5

Questions:
1. Will I make GS?
2. Does it really matter...I'm fortunate enough to be able to buy first class/int'l business at all times due to my employment contract?

Thanks all!
Old Nov 15, 2018, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by SFFLYR1940
Last Year:

2018 so far:

Questions:
1. Will I make GS?
2. Does it really matter...I'm fortunate enough to be able to buy first class/int'l business at all times due to my employment contract?

Thanks all!
Kind of like 4WD in the snow...better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it! Tight connections at hubs and guaranteed next flight out due to interruptions to flights would be positives.
LIH likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Last Year:

2018 so far:

Questions:
1. Will I make GS?

Thanks all!
With those stats even if you happen to be out of SFO I would say good bet you get the invite. I had approx $44K and didn't make it as well (SFO hub) but unfortunately won't even be close to that this year so no chance for me. Wife has same deal with ability to fly F/Biz due to her employment contract but she never gets it because she flies any and all airlines (mostly*A) so doesn't build up UA metal dollars.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:34 pm
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC

Thanks all!
As a 1K who books 99% of my travel at the front of the bus I would say GS makes a huge difference, especially during IRROPs. There have been several times where a GS colleague has had preferred re-booking when I'm booked into a Z/A fare when they're on a coach fare class. I'm borderline this year out of ORD ($47K PQD) and just the ability to skip the always stacked pre-check lane at SFO (one of my most frequent airports) would make a big difference over the course of the year.
jjmoore likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriot G, Hyatt, P, Hilton G, UA Club
All numbers are UA only. 3rd year as a GS. I'm not really sweating sitting at $75k UA PQD out of PIT

PQM: 370,153
BIS UA Metal: 215,125 (estimated)
PQD: $74,832
PQS: 181 (based in PIT means 2x hop anywhere)
CPM: $0.34

Edit: and I've had two emergency landings this year (both UA31 MUC-EWR), and each time the disaster team contacts me, I made sure to let them know that they can repay me by re-qualifying me.
drewguy, jjmoore and LIH like this.

Last edited by sethvargo; Nov 16, 2018 at 3:53 pm
Old Nov 18, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by LIH
As a 1K who books 99% of my travel at the front of the bus I would say GS makes a huge difference, especially during IRROPs. There have been several times where a GS colleague has had preferred re-booking when I'm booked into a Z/A fare when they're on a coach fare class. I'm borderline this year out of ORD ($47K PQD) and just the ability to skip the always stacked pre-check lane at SFO (one of my most frequent airports) would make a big difference over the course of the year.
Not to mention, next flight guarantee is a HUGE perk (even though GS didn't honor it during two situations involving blizzards, as they refused to put me onto flights that were already oversold by 5+ people). This is the one I miss most this year being a 1K, and have suffered lengthy delays on several occasions as a result. There are some things you get with GS that you simply cannot purchase with a J seat.

1) Benz rides across the tarmac
2) Converting T space into XN
3) Using RPU/GPU on award tickets
4) The aforementioned next flight guarantee
5) Global reception - walk to front of TSA Pre line

These perks are what make GS untouchable.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Not to mention, next flight guarantee is a HUGE perk (even though GS didn't honor it during two situations involving blizzards, as they refused to put me onto flights that were already oversold by 5+ people). This is the one I miss most this year being a 1K, and have suffered lengthy delays on several occasions as a result. There are some things you get with GS that you simply cannot purchase with a J seat.

1) Benz rides across the tarmac
2) Converting T space into XN
3) Using RPU/GPU on award tickets
4) The aforementioned next flight guarantee
5) Global reception - walk to front of TSA Pre line

These perks are what make GS untouchable.
You forgot opening up companion award space on a paid premium ticket. This has been my favorite perk and actually causes me to spend more on United.
jjmoore likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.