Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2018, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Indeed. All UA customers would do well to remember that loyalty is a one-way street with United Airlines. I left the airline as a loyal flyer after 1.8 million miles and 15 straight years as a 1k (on mostly premium fares at the end) because they took away many of the former benefits of 1k and million miler.

IME, UA just can't be trusted. I just learned that lesson again, the hard way. I hope 1ks enjoy the bennies...while they last...
Well said. My flying past with UA is close to a carbon copy of yours. I and wife both had 2.1 mm lifetime premier miles and were 1K's for probably over 15 yrs. For us, though, we gave up because the service tanked several years ago beyond our ability to cope (remember the doc they dragged off?).

We do take UA when it has the best non-stop routing for what we need, and we always purchase F tickets. We are always top tier on the competitors---EXP on AA, and DM on DL. So we know the drill of boarding on the other two. AA's is the best of the bunch (although they should have made us concierge key) and DL's is, objectively, a pain, with all the groups boarding before F.

This demotion, by UA, of its F paying pax behind 1K's who aren't in the F cabin on the flight, is for me an infamnia, and I won't forgive.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 8:53 pm

Indeed. All UA customers would do well to remember that loyalty is a one-way street with United Airlines. I left the airline as a loyal flyer after 1.8 million miles and 15 straight years as a 1k (on mostly premium fares at the end) because they took away many of the former benefits of 1k and million miler.

IME, UA just can't be trusted. I just learned that lesson again, the hard way. I hope 1ks enjoy the bennies...while they last...
Well said. My flying past with UA is close to a carbon copy of yours. I and wife both had 2.1 mm lifetime premier miles and were 1K's for probably over 15 yrs. For us, though, we gave up because the service tanked several years ago beyond our ability to cope (remember the doc they dragged off?).

We do take UA when it has the best non-stop routing for what we need, and we always purchase F tickets. We are always top tier on the competitors---EXP on AA, and DM on DL. So we know the drill of boarding on the other two. AA's is the best of the bunch (although they should have made us concierge key) and DL's is, objectively, a pain, with all the groups boarding before F.

This demotion, by UA, of its F paying pax behind 1K's who aren't in the F cabin on the flight, is for me an infamnia, and I won't forgive.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FullFare
...is for me an infamnia, and I won't forgive.
Well, at least you admit outright it's an ego thing (bolding mine) - a demotion in social standing.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
What's more amazing is that until last year, I was unaware of this, and stood in line like I always do at any property. I was perfectly content to be a nobody and check in, Hilton decided my Diamond status is important, not me. UA has decided that status matters, and now we have a handful of people in a very long thread demanding better treatment, most of which have zero status with UA. Heads up to you that think what you paid; your one time payment means nothing, as it does with my clients. Do you think the demanding once a year client should deserve more than the consistent client I know will stay with me year after year? I've dealt with demanding clients, even fired some. The once a year prick that thinks he/she is all the money and demands everything gets shown the door, while my consistent clients are well taken care of, even at lower margins.

If Delta, American, or whatever airline fits your needs better, by all means fly with them. Somehow I doubt UA will care about 1 or 2 people leaving over prioritizing boarding of elites, in a situation that really is unimportant. I'll survive just fine, and you will survive much better if you avoid the apparent heart attack of flying UA. But since some of you have it all figured out, maybe you should start an airline.
I generally don't like to use the word "you" in posts, and usually scrub my post for the word before clicking the word "you" out, but I'll apologize for using the word this one time, up front in this post. That said, and putting things in objective perspective, what about the many of us who have paid a ton of money in the past, over decades (as in my and Kokunutz's case) and have over 2 million miles paid for to the airline? I think that is forgotten in the advocacy that I'm seeing. I think the word "prick" is inappropriate. The concept that this post has been espousing has lost me and is demeaning to the discussion.

United has been short-sighted in not recognizing the lifetime contribution of many of its flyers, at least those of us who don't fly a full "1K" regimen for the prior year, but who have paid many tens of thousands in past years, and for whatever statistical aberration may have transpired, may have just not had a recent 1K year. I would like to think UA would cave on this unwise demotion of lifetime 2mmilers who buy an F ticket. And no, we are not "pricks".
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zombietooth
...So everyone will board at the same time....
If the F cabin has 16 seats. the door would have to be about 30' wide for shoulder-to-shoulder boarding Then the complaining would begin about who has to be in the middle.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FullFare
...United has been short-sighted in not recognizing the lifetime contribution of many of its flyers,...
Uh, which airline does???? I'm flew a bunch of full-fare int'l F money to DL for years. I'm dirt now to them. I don't begrudge DL (or UA) for treating their current HVFs a little better.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but MM with UA gets you Gold for life, which is a pretty good deal for no additional loyalty (although such a Gold would be subject to the apparent brutality that is BG1). But if indeed United rewards your past flying with Gold status, that puts you in BG1 with a coach ticket. Would you would stand your ground and not board with BG1 because that is an affront to paying F customers? Would you board with BG2? I'm pretty sure you'd be as close to the front of the BG1 line as you could get, enjoying the benefits of earned lifetime status - paying F customers be damned.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 21, 2018 at 9:45 pm
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:17 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Well, at least you admit outright it's an ego thing (bolding mine) - a demotion in social standing.
You seem to be obsessed with the ego thing. Projection?

I pay a premium price, I want a premium experience. That's CAPITALISM, not ego. @:-)

Originally Posted by limey1K

Second flight the GA called GS, 1K and First Class to pre-board
LOL, that GA was acting as if the new boarding process made sense!!!!

Last edited by kokonutz; Sep 21, 2018 at 9:33 pm
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You seem to be obsessed with the ego thing. Projection?

I pay a premium price, I want a premium experience. That's CAPITALISM, not ego. @:-)...
And it's just as capitalistic for UA to pre-board other people. Your capitalistic expectations aren't always met by the provider who has other capitalistic intents - ie treating it's best customers better (very capitalistic).

You're still in BG 1. That's darn premium to BG5.

So if you buy a Polaris ticket, are you going to demand use of GS check-in and a short cut to front of TSA? Those are GS perks, just as pre-boarding. Why are you not offended by those perks? Is it because it's not in front of your eyes? Is that the breaking point? Answer truthfully

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 21, 2018 at 9:55 pm
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:43 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
And it's just as capitalistic for UA to pre-board other people. Your capitalistic expectations aren't always met by the provider who has other capitalistic intents - ie treating it's best customers better (very capitalistic).
Yep. And another feature of capitalism is competition. If someone has cash to spend someone will provide the desired service for a price. Yay capitalism!

So if you buy a Polaris ticket, are you going to demand use of GS check-in and a short cut to front of TSA? Those are GS perks, just as pre-boarding. Why are you not offended by those perks? Is it because it's not in front of your eyes? Is that the breaking point? Answer truthfully
Well, I buy lots of international business class tickets. Regardless of carrier I check in online and pay for Clear so I already cut to front of TSA...often in front of GS/CK/DM. Again, yay capitalism!!!

If I could pay, say, $100 for a guaranteed overhead space above my seat in paid domestic F and be able to board last I would pay it.

<shrug>
Old Sep 21, 2018, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Data point; boarded towards end of BG1, in 1B. Had to have gesture conversation with guy on phone to get permission to move a couple things around to stow my backpack. 1A came later, required FA intervention to move and rearrange things to stow one item. Field upgrader not allowed to bring luggage up. Sat on my purse. No idea if this is typical or not. (SFO-IAD)
Old Sep 21, 2018, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...often in front of GS/CK/DM. Again, yay capitalism!!!

If I could pay, say, $100 for a guaranteed overhead space above my seat in paid domestic F and be able to board last I would pay it.

<shrug>
So, you’re annoyed you can’t buy your way to what you want on United - either first to board or guaranteed bin space above your seat. Fair enough. There’s a couple of other carriers to choose from. If they have the network and frequency that fits, you’re good to go.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Someone upthread mentioned maybe F should board last with the bins closed until they board. I almost wonder if they should try that - also saves money on the PDB Just board and depart...
Old Sep 22, 2018, 12:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
I've got a great idea for a new airline; we'll call it "Pretentious Snob Airways". The will be only one class of service, First. So everyone will board at the same time. All the FAs will be gorgeous and young (both sexes, mind you) and they will stow your bags in your own reserved stowage bin for you when you board, etc.

I think it would be a big hit.
+1

lots of replies here that would be perfectly suited for this new airline.

I am a lowly 1K louse who does my best to save my company $$ so I am earned PQD the hard way - lots of long flights in E+. I appreciate getting to board a little early because I often have meetings soon after I land and don’t have a ton of time to wait for luggage handlers so I prefer my luggage with me. I am careful and frugal packer so my wheelie is a small international sized one that fits almost everywhere.

Really sorry to be in front of mr and missed pretentious snob airway customers who feel because they paid more, should board earlier. It’s a tube with seats that gets me where I need to go so please just get in the damn thing, put your stuff away and let’s get on with it. Why all the drama!??
Old Sep 22, 2018, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Over the yeas, UA has shown us it values $ over loyalty. So, between that and this is how AA does it, I was surprised they did not let Premium Class preboard. I think some of this might be technical tradeoffs they have to make to balance between the number of lines to setup and the number of people in each line/group.

If I were to design this (but I don't have the metrics), I would think:

Initial:

Line #1 - Pre-board - GS, 1K + legal and good-will preboards + Premium Cabin
Line #2 - Group 1 - Platinum and Gold
Line #3 - Group 2 - Silver, Credit Card, Premier Access

Then:

1 - people from above who did not board
2 - Group 3
3 - Group 4

I am 1K and I don't pay for premium class travel. I have no problem letting non-elites who paid for Premium Class go first.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I've got a great idea for a new airline; we'll call it "Pretentious Snob Airways". The will be only one class of service, First. So everyone will board at the same time. All the FAs will be gorgeous and young (both sexes, mind you) and they will stow your bags in your own reserved stowage bin for you when you board, etc.

I think it would be a big hit.
Already exists. It's called a private jet. And comes with ultra-super-duper-blistering-hi-speed wifi so you can immediately post the pics on Instadull.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.