Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:40 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Artpen100
IAD- MSY Wednesday, they forgot to call 1K. I got in with Group 1, and was in F, so no problem. Return today, they did it right. I was only in PE so glad to get overhead space and to send some work emails before takeoff.
Do you really mean to tell us that your plane had PE seats?
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
SFO-BOS from gate 88. Gate set-up is really good for pre-boarding with big open lane to the left of lane 1. There were about eight 1Ks. Really nice to get on the aircraft before the crowds arrived. I could get used to this perk (which I'm sure is why they introduced it right before they raised PQD).
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:52 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I’ve read most of this lengthy thread, but I apologize if I missed where it was answered...

As a 1K, if I arrive to the gate a few minutes late, and they’re already boarding BG1, can I bypass the line and walk straight up? (Similar to walking into an empty BG1 lane, prior to these changes). I understand I could still do that if they’ve moved beyond BG1 by using said lane, and I wouldn’t sweat it if there were just a dozen people or so ahead of me in BG1...But I fly a lot of midcons where Ive seen BG1 take up half of the plane (ORD-SFO on 757-300 and 777HD).
Old Nov 3, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
I’ve read most of this lengthy thread, but I apologize if I missed where it was answered...

As a 1K, if I arrive to the gate a few minutes late, and they’re already boarding BG1, can I bypass the line and walk straight up? (Similar to walking into an empty BG1 lane, prior to these changes). I understand I could still do that if they’ve moved beyond BG1 by using said lane, and I wouldn’t sweat it if there were just a dozen people or so ahead of me in BG1...But I fly a lot of midcons where Ive seen BG1 take up half of the plane (ORD-SFO on 757-300 and 777HD).
No, "Preboarding" ends the moment they call Group 1. From then on you would get in line behind anyone else in Lane 1, which, after Group 1 boards, becomes the bypass lane.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
Bring back the red carpet. Boarding was MUCH smoother in those days and there was always a clear path for late arriving GS/1K/F passengers. All the changes since the red carpets were taken away have been systems that are worse than what they had before.

The problem now is make GA's call GS and 1K with 5 seconds of pause in between. And, many of the gates don't have enough space to hold all of the pre-boarders.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
No, "Preboarding" ends the moment they call Group 1. From then on you would get in line behind anyone else in Lane 1, which, after Group 1 boards, becomes the bypass lane.
Is this correct? So if I'm seated when they call for 1K pre-boarding (instead of milling around ready to pounce, which kind of defeats the purpose), and they quickly call Group 1 as I'm walking up, it's "too bad, you snooze you loose 1K!" and I should proceed to do a walk of shame to the back of the Group 1 line? And are you saying this applies to GS as well?
Old Nov 4, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by msg75
Is this correct? So if I'm seated when they call for 1K pre-boarding (instead of milling around ready to pounce, which kind of defeats the purpose), and they quickly call Group 1 as I'm walking up, it's "too bad, you snooze you loose 1K!" and I should proceed to do a walk of shame to the back of the Group 1 line? And are you saying this applies to GS as well?
YMMV depending on how assertive you want to be. The 1K Boarding Passes don't show Pre-Boarding, so some 1K's will line up in Lane 1, start boarding at the PreBoard announcement, then be annoyed when 1K's off to the side approach the GA at the same moment. Unfortunately, for the reason you mention (no space between pre-board announcements), you should probably head toward the "milling around" area when they start the Pre-Boarding processes with a call for passengers with disabilities. Before this new process, I can't recall a GS cutting into the already-boarding Group 1. Those who want to pre-board will typically check the boarding time on their BP and be in position at that time.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by msg75
I've seen some families (after being invited to pre-board) finally get to gate struggling w/ spawn under 2 and associated gear only to find BG1 boarding. GA will let them board amidst BG1. As for everyone else in pre-board group, I'd just just board w/ BG1.

As for "instead of milling around ready to pounce, which kind of defeats the purpose", 1Ks really can be seated until the jetway door is opened - that's the clue to get in gear if you want to exercise your pre-boarding right. Some in the BG1 group will have been lined up for a significant amount of time before that. Infrequent travelers on "a trip of a lifetime" in F will often do that. I've seen some stand in BG1 for a half-hour or more in Hawaii (even before the crew shows up).
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:41 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Before this new process, I can't recall a GS cutting into the already-boarding Group 1. Those who want to pre-board will typically check the boarding time on their BP and be in position at that time.
I have. It's part of the "GS can board at their leisure" service. Never been turned away. (Actually, have only done it a few times in millions of miles.)
Old Nov 4, 2018, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC 35K, SPG GOLD
Heading to the gate for UA862 HKG to SFO. Want to see how it goes. Will report if I see something unusual. I am in group 1 (Polaris business)
when looking on the BG1 line the agent told a 1K in front of me to go to the area on the side to board with priority boarding.
results:
1) GS - 2 ppl
2) 1K - like 50
3) BG1
no families/military

Last edited by chebert999; Nov 5, 2018 at 11:25 am
Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Wife reports they've already got a separate labeled 1K boarding lane at NRT.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by physioprof
Wife reports they've already got a separate labeled 1K boarding lane at NRT.
Yup, reported two weeks ago, post 1129. Now we know how to spell "Premier" in another language!

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 6, 2018 at 9:19 am
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:10 pm

SFO TPE, announced that the 50+ 1Ks ,please board to the right of group 1 line. Of course there were 100+ because of 1Ks plus traveling companion. On the bright side, I got a premium plus seat due to aircraft swap.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by myperks
SFO TPE, announced that the 50+ 1Ks ,please board to the right of group 1 line. Of course there were 100+ because of 1Ks plus traveling companion. On the bright side, I got a premium plus seat due to aircraft swap.
Is this like at NRT, that pre-boarding is separated into two parts, Disabled+Military+GS+Family as phase 1, and then 1K with dedicated waiting area as phase 2? If so that would be very good news.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by myperks
SFO TPE, announced that the 50+ 1Ks ,please board to the right of group 1 line.
So much for feeling special

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.