Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA PlusPoints / Upgrades for sale on ebay ...(Warning these are not sanctioned by UA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2022, 4:52 pm

UA PlusPoints / Upgrades for sale on ebay ...(Warning these are not sanctioned by UA)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2022, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by supine
An alternative that UA could use is forcing you to nominate a limited number of other MP members you would be upgrading when not on the same itinerary. You could make changes but only so many per time period so it would essentially cap the customer base for those selling upgrades.

E.g.
4 upgrade "friends" slots
Each time you nominate someone that slot is frozen for twelve months, can't be changed before then.

That would probably work for almost all of the legitimate use cases, catch out a small group of folks who truly gift upgrades to many people but actually make it really difficult to make serious coin from selling upgrades.
I think this is a very good idea. BA does something similar, and I would support some form of Friends & Family program, which is unlikely to be abused as much.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Interestingly, this abuse seems to be coming from only one UA hub.

Care to guess which one before looking at the Craigslist results below?

Originally Posted by supine
An alternative that UA could use is forcing you to nominate a limited number of other MP members you would be upgrading when not on the same itinerary. You could make changes but only so many per time period so it would essentially cap the customer base for those selling upgrades.

E.g.
4 upgrade "friends" slots
Each time you nominate someone that slot is frozen for twelve months, can't be changed before then.

That would probably work for almost all of the legitimate use cases, catch out a small group of folks who truly gift upgrades to many people but actually make it really difficult to make serious coin from selling upgrades.
Smart approach!
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 28, 2022 at 4:10 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 30, 2023, 2:39 pm

Upgrading YN fare using eBay purchased upgrade

I have a roundtrip flight coming up to/from europe with fare class YN, and i'm staring at the ebay offers for fare class/business upgrade.

From the charts provided by one of the sellers, I see to upgrade from United Economy (Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W) to Polaris business I would need 40 points, or 80 points for the round trip, however I don't see fare class "YN" listed.

Also how do I know what the availability of this is? Can I simply see if a business class seat is available? I don't want to spend the money for the upgrade only to find out no seats are available on my date of travel.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by Fried Chicken
I have a roundtrip flight coming up to/from europe with fare class YN, and i'm staring at the ebay offers for fare class/business upgrade.

From the charts provided by one of the sellers, I see to upgrade from United Economy (Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W) to Polaris business I would need 40 points, or 80 points for the round trip, however I don't see fare class "YN" listed.

Also how do I know what the availability of this is? Can I simply see if a business class seat is available? I don't want to spend the money for the upgrade only to find out no seats are available on my date of travel.
Because YN is an award ticket, and you cannot use PlusPoints to upgrade it -- unless you are a Global Services passenger. And if you were, you'd know not to purchase upgrades from eBay.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and chavala like this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by wxguy
Because YN is an award ticket, and you cannot use PlusPoints to upgrade it -- unless you are a Global Services passenger. And if you were, you'd know not to purchase upgrades from eBay.
It seems people are pretty strongly against this practice
Old Jun 30, 2023, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many passengers on this forum have a vested interest in United keeping the system reasonably generous to its actual frequent flyers. Any successful upgrade by someone who is purchasing PlusPoints is a step toward United curtailing benefits for everyone who’s actually following the rules.

(Incidentally, the reason you’d “know not to do this” is that you risk having your upgrade canceled and your frequent flyer account closed if you get caught).
cesco.g, SPN Lifer, wxguy and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 3:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Many here use these benefits for family or coworkers (at no cost) and fear UA will make these non-transferable. Additional for every successful illegitimate upgrade that means one less potential upgrade for the UA elites and money going to a rule violator. So it is in the benefit of UA elites that this is not an allowed practice. We are harmed, just as UA is harmed.

UA may before your trip starts make you a legitimate cash upgrade offer.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, SS255 and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 3:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Personally, I don't care. But UA is well aware of these schemes, which are expressly prohibited, and there's a not insignificant chance UA will cancel the upgrade and your ticket due to violation of program terms and conditions. If you have a Mileage Plus account, they would terminate that as well.
SPN Lifer, wxguy, chavala and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA may before your trip starts make you a legitimate cash upgrade offer.
To the tune of like $a million
Old Jun 30, 2023, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
To the tune of like $a million
Close to the same range of these ebay offers. Legitimate and confirmed, no waitlist.

For real examples , see UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase to Day of Departure (TOD)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 7:51 pm

Close to the same range of these ebay offers. Legitimate and confirmed, no waitlist.

For real examples , see UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase to Day of Departure (TOD)
Has anyone tried handing the gate agent your ticket with a crisp $100 bill asking if there are any upgrades available?
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 8:04 pm

Has anyone tried handing the gate agent your ticket with a crisp $100 bill asking if there are any upgrades available?
Perhaps decades ago, but the upgrade process is computerized, and an agent would need to manually override and leaving traces they modified
the process. Frequent flyers closely watch the list and many will do like I did and query UA when the process deviates. I did not suspect shenanigans but rather a computer issue -- UA did research it and confirmed the computer processing issue I suspect. If it had been a GA doing an appropriate action, they would have needed to explain.

If you are discussing international travel, there are multiple agents at the gate and such action would not go unnoticed
Old Jun 30, 2023, 8:09 pm

Perhaps decades ago, but the upgrade process is computerized, and an agent would need to manually override and leaving traces they modified
the process. Frequent flyers closely watch the list and many will do like I did and query UA when the process deviates. I did not suspect shenanigans but rather a computer issue -- UA did research it and confirmed the computer processing issue I suspect. If it had been a GA doing an appropriate action, they would have needed to explain.

If you are discussing international travel, there are multiple agents at the gate and such action would not go unnoticed
Gah... I forgot how UA likes to overbook their flights and somehow manages to cram airplanes full.
Maybe on a not-full airplane.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I’m not sure if you’re being serious, but LMAO all the same
uanj, United747, hhdl and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gah... I forgot how UA likes to overbook their flights
Ah, I only wish UA routinely overbooked their flights.

What you’re describing is employee theft, pure and simple. I wasn’t kidding in the other thread when I mentioned people can be fired for it.
SPN Lifer and United747 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.