Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA PlusPoints / Upgrades for sale on ebay ...(Warning these are not sanctioned by UA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2022, 4:52 pm

UA PlusPoints / Upgrades for sale on ebay ...(Warning these are not sanctioned by UA)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2023, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lori_Q
Although United selling upgrades to catch buyers is possible, spending fraud-management resources on trapping buyers doesn't seem efficient.
One disrupted trip can deter hundreds of others from trying.

Buyers may not know United's rules, or may not have M+ accounts (and haven't agreed to the M+ terms & conditions).
The eBay listings are so obviously black-market that it’s difficult for me to imagine anyone buying one and thinking it was within the rules of any of the airline programs.
SPN Lifer and United747 like this.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Wouldn't that seller have a very bad eBay satisfaction rating?

Although United selling upgrades to catch buyers is possible, spending fraud-management resources on trapping buyers doesn't seem efficient. I can see a fraud department responding to sellers who are actively breaking the rules about selling upgrade instruments from their Mileage Plus accounts. Buyers may not know United's rules, or may not have M+ accounts (and haven't agreed to the M+ terms & conditions).
Receiving PPs and other instruments via eBay seems like and is a very bad idea.

David
Old Jul 3, 2023, 1:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Wouldn't that seller have a very bad eBay satisfaction rating?

Although United selling upgrades to catch buyers is possible, spending fraud-management resources on trapping buyers doesn't seem efficient. .
I had a friend get caught up in an UG selling situation. In his case, eBay not only surrendered his personal info to UA (I assume via subpoena), but eBay also never released the funds to him and evidently refunded the money back to UA. So, there is no net cost to UA corporate security in conducting straw purchases of UG instruments on eBay.

My friend tried everything he could to get his account reinstated, even hiring a lawyer, and nothing worked. He was a Lifetime GS at the time with around 1.5 million miles in his account.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and uanj like this.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
The eBay listings are so obviously black-market that it’s difficult for me to imagine anyone buying one and thinking it was within the rules of any of the airline programs.
What do you mean? When you normally buy products you don't look to purchase "advice" for that product as opposed to the product itself?
jsloan, SPN Lifer and zombietooth like this.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 6:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I had a friend get caught up in an UG selling situation. In his case, eBay not only surrendered his personal info to UA (I assume via subpoena), but eBay also never released the funds to him and evidently refunded the money back to UA. So, there is no net cost to UA corporate security in conducting straw purchases of UG instruments on eBay.

My friend tried everything he could to get his account reinstated, even hiring a lawyer, and nothing worked. He was a Lifetime GS at the time with around 1.5 million miles in his account.
Was your friend aware of the rules? It's no excuse but I'm surprised at the number of GSes that I meet who claim to have no idea that they are not allowed to sell "their" PPs. I guess it's in the fine print. Sometimes they don't believe me when I inform them or say UA doesn't care. Sometimes they aren't even aware of what PP are or for to use them.

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
What do you mean? When you normally buy products you don't look to purchase "advice" for that product as opposed to the product itself?
I can see a once-a-year flyer who doesnt live in the Flyertalk bubble fall for this.

I remember my dad use to go to a UA office to buy a ticket with his miles for someone else and meet them in person to sell them a physical ticket. I bet he'd be selling on ebay even today if he knew how to put up a listing. I wonder if one polled all the UA MP members, what percentage would think that it is ok to sell their instruments. Compared to a policy like, how many bags are you allowed to carry on, which has a far lower penalty for non-compliance.

Last edited by eng3; Jul 3, 2023 at 6:23 am
Old Jul 3, 2023, 11:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by eng3
Was your friend aware of the rules? It's no excuse but I'm surprised at the number of GSes that I meet who claim to have no idea that they are not allowed to sell "their" PPs. I guess it's in the fine print. Sometimes they don't believe me when I inform them or say UA doesn't care. Sometimes they aren't even aware of what PP are or for to use them.
He'd read one of these "genius travel hacks" blogs/websites and was convinced that everyone was doing it, and that UA really didn't care. If I could give one bit of advice to a new FF, it would be to steer clear of anything with the words "travel hacks" in it.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I can see a once-a-year flyer who doesnt live in the Flyertalk bubble fall for this.
Considering how actively airlines monetize virtually every single aspect of flying these days, I guess there's some logic to viewing upgrades as something the passenger should be able to monetize. But taking the analysis further, the airlines (including UA) also tilt their rules in the carrier's favor to the fullest extent permitted by law, so any complete analysis should lead to the conclusion that this may not be allowed (and maybe I should check the rules).
Old Jul 3, 2023, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold

What a total bummer for your friend! Very tempting to sell especially as the expiration date approaches (at least on mine). Having said that I just cleared 40 and I have almost all of my remaining PP's in play (sadly I figure less than half will clear by the end of the month).
Old Jul 3, 2023, 8:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
When you go to the extent of selling "travel advice" and by the way, throw in PlusPoints upgrades as a free bonus, one needs to be pretty disconnected not to think this isn't on the up and up.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
He'd read one of these "genius travel hacks" blogs/websites and was convinced that everyone was doing it, and that UA really didn't care. If I could give one bit of advice to a new FF, it would be to steer clear of anything with the words "travel hacks" in it.
Originally Posted by Kacee
Considering how actively airlines monetize virtually every single aspect of flying these days, I guess there's some logic to viewing upgrades as something the passenger should be able to monetize. But taking the analysis further, the airlines (including UA) also tilt their rules in the carrier's favor to the fullest extent permitted by law, so any complete analysis should lead to the conclusion that this may not be allowed (and maybe I should check the rules).
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
When you go to the extent of selling "travel advice" and by the way, throw in PlusPoints upgrades as a free bonus, one needs to be pretty disconnected not to think this isn't on the up and up.
Yes, I agree, selling "travel advice" just sounds fishy to start with. But living in the "FT Bubble" it is easy to forget that most people spend very little brain power analyzing airline rules, even some GSes. When airlines say you are "Earning" something, I think it is fairly natural to conclude that you "own" what you "earned" and therefore can sell it. Reading a blog telling you how to circumvent the rules because the blog claims that no one cares is just asking for trouble. I think the highest level elite I've ever met that was unaware of the rules was when I sat next to a GS hitting 3MM on that flight. He didn't seem to believe me when I told him he can't sell his GPUs.
SPN Lifer and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 4:52 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Yes, I agree, selling "travel advice" just sounds fishy to start with. But living in the "FT Bubble" it is easy to forget that most people spend very little brain power analyzing airline rules, even some GSes. When airlines say you are "Earning" something, I think it is fairly natural to conclude that you "own" what you "earned" and therefore can sell it. Reading a blog telling you how to circumvent the rules because the blog claims that no one cares is just asking for trouble. I think the highest level elite I've ever met that was unaware of the rules was when I sat next to a GS hitting 3MM on that flight. He didn't seem to believe me when I told him he can't sell his GPUs.
When GPUs were a thing I had no idea I had them for a number of years until a phone agent mentioned to me I had a number expiring soon. She had to explain to me what they were and how to use them. After that i became informed and used them and planned how to maximize them and use them. But until specifically mentioned to me no idea and it had been a few years of having them. I used my miles for upgrades and was calling in about that and she proactively mentioned it to me. I obviously was not on FT either!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Yet there are plenty of reports where UA has shut down GS accounts for selling upgrades. In court you can't claim 'you didn't know' either, so living 'i a bubble' is not a good excuse IMO.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
Yet there are plenty of reports where UA has shut down GS accounts for selling upgrades. In court you can't claim 'you didn't know' either, so living 'i a bubble' is not a good excuse IMO.
I never said it was an excuse. I explicitly said it was not.
That doesn't mean that it is widely known

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
When GPUs were a thing I had no idea I had them for a number of years until a phone agent mentioned to me I had a number expiring soon. She had to explain to me what they were and how to use them. After that i became informed and used them and planned how to maximize them and use them. But until specifically mentioned to me no idea and it had been a few years of having them. I used my miles for upgrades and was calling in about that and she proactively mentioned it to me. I obviously was not on FT either!
A nice phone agent!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 5, 2023 at 5:38 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.