Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Interim 77x seatmaps with Polaris seats & potentially Premium Economy (2018-19))

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

This seatmap is being used for all flights will an sUA 777-200ER scheduled. It is being used to guard against equipment swaps into one of the three possible seating configurations: legacy sUA 3-class (8F/40J and 3-3-3 in Y), 2-class Polaris (50J and 3-4-3Y), and 3-class Polaris/PE (50J/24W and 3-4-3 Y). The actual seatmap for the aircraft assigned to your flight will become available when the flight is added to the normal Flight Status display, approximately 60 hours before departure (usually overnight).

Blocks in Economy are at all 'F' seats, plus 20CH, 21BJ, 22BJ, and 35ABCDE (the last for accommodation). The blocks are designed so that, regardless of which equipment flies, no one will be moved or scrambled when the seatmap updates. Instead, some seats will unblock and some blocked seats may be deleted based on the real configuration, and then some rows may be added. This process is similar to that for the 757-300, 737-900, and other frames with uncertain configurations.

Some danger remains if there are more equipment swaps after the initial frame assignment, and the change from F/J to Polaris in the forward cabins is not a well-defined mapping.

Premium Economy, if on the plane used, would be Rows 20-22, Seats AB[ ]DEFG[ ]KL

Similarly, as Premium Plus is added to the existing Polaris 773s, Rows 19/20/21 seats B & K are not shown, to accommodate potential swaps between PP & non-PP equipped aircraft.

It is speculated that once PP is offered as a true separate cabin. UA will focus the PP equipped aircraft on a few selected routes to minimize the swap risk.
Print Wikipost

Interim 77x seatmaps with Polaris seats & potentially Premium Economy (2018-19))

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by fumje
I intensely prefer having a window seat, but for such a long flight as PEK-ORD, I would take any PE seat sight unseen over a regular E(/E+) window seat. (At least, that is assuming no flight anxiety issues, etc.)
+1. Even a PE middle is going to be better than any Y seat on the plane.

Only real risk is another frame swap.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by ajGoes
You want 20 to 22. They're the new Premium Economy seats which are much like the business seats of twenty years ago: spacious and comfortable with decent recline. They're available as E+ seats until United rolls out the soft product that will go with Premium Economy seats.
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I am on the inbound flight ORD-PEK. I plan to walk back to Y to check out the PE.

I will check them out later today when I get on the flight, but I am sure the seats from 20 years ago are more spacious in the 2-3-2 configuration.
I did just what you're planning on July 21st when my EWR-CDG plane was switched to this configuration. I didn't actually sit in one of the new Premium Economy seats, but I'd take one in a heartbeat over E+. They look very nice indeed.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I am on the inbound flight ORD-PEK. I plan to walk back to Y to check out the PE.

I will check them out later today when I get on the flight, but I am sure the seats from 20 years ago are more spacious in the 2-3-2 configuration.
I provided my observations in the post below:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30123811-post1254.html
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
So was just looking at my seat assignment for a November SFO-LHR flight and had been moved from 24A to 20A. Has the strange seating map, so kudos to United for moving me to this seat. Rows 20 - 22 are pretty full for the flight. Still hoping the UG happens but if not PE on a red eye is perfect!

Checked my IAH-LHR flight for March (2019) but it still shows the old configuration but United had moved me to 17A so moved myself to 16A in case that plane changes.

Last edited by Aussienarelle; Aug 24, 2018 at 1:36 pm
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:41 pm

Looking at a domestic J-class leg that has this funky interim seat map. What happens if a 28J “HD” bird gets swapped in? Are 20 pax bumped to Y? Or is a Polaris bird the only possible frame swap?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by prometa
Looking at a domestic J-class leg that has this funky interim seat map. What happens if a 28J “HD” bird gets swapped in? Are 20 pax bumped to Y? Or is a Polaris bird the only possible frame swap?
Yes, they would bump 20 passengers to Y; generally, they'd look for volunteers but involuntarily downgrade folks if they didn't get enough. United's downgrade compensation would apply. An affected passenger would/should have the option of declining the compensation and taking the next available J seat (or a refund), although I doubt the gate agent would go out of their way to suggest that.

(It's no different than what would happen if the HD 772 config got substituted for a 77W, except that you'd have many more displaced passengers to deal with).

However, the intent of the seatmap is to provide for swaps specifically to the Polaris 772, not the HD version.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Booked Y October 15 ORD-PVG. After getting switched from 30D to 28D I saw 20AB open up. I switched. GPU will hopefully clear but if not I can always hope for PE!

same thing on return—PE will probably eliminate my anxiety over failed GPU clearance once and for all.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
I am trying to figure out whcih seat letters will be two side seats....A/C and H/K? IS that right?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
I am trying to figure out whcih seat letters will be two side seats....A/C and H/K? IS that right?
AB KL
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
It doesn't matter on the interim seatmap; there is one block in each 3-set in the rows which might become PE so any seat in that row will work.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:07 pm

PE goes:

AB DEFG KL
Old Aug 28, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Why are the F seats blocked in the seat map if they exist in PE?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tagflyer
Why are the F seats blocked in the seat map if they exist in PE?
They seem to go conservative with the blocks, if the 753 is any lesson. (Except in that case, they goofed on 9ABC as E-regular for a while.)
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K
If the economy F seats are blocked as in the seat map in post #1 , does that indicate that the seating of the selected aircraft is 3-3-3 in economy?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold, CAM Card
Hmm, I see this same layout for UA804 from NRT-IAD on 8 November. I had booked my wife and me into 20AB and we've been kept in those seats in this new configuration. If it doesn't turn into a PE flight, then I potentially would have a middle seat in a 3-4-3 config? I'm not happy about that. I wonder if I should book 21H and 22D (presently available) and at least guarantee that we keep aisle seats in a non-PE scenario. We're not particularly concerned about sitting apart on the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.