Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Drink changes, No tomato juice&SpriteZero-social media pressure restores tomato juice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Drink changes, No tomato juice&SpriteZero-social media pressure restores tomato juice

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2018, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
New kirby statement 5 days ago "In light of new information regarding in flight beverages UA will remove free water as consumption rates indicated passengers don't drink water. Passengers are welcome to bring their own on board or purchase one found in the onbaord menu. Again thank you for flying US airways...um G4 dangit NK...ahhh your friendly airline"

today's statement" in light of customer feedback and medical science free water is now back (expected in 9 months) ....this customer enhancement shows UAs commitment to our customers"

sadly insert any product name and i could work for UAs PR department.
Silver Fox and DCP2016 like this.
Old May 13, 2018, 8:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
Reductions are hitting more than Sprite Zero and tomato juice. Appears UA has altered alcohol selections and cut back on meal service as well.

United Airlines makes big adjustments in onboard food and beverage

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/...offerings.html
Ironically, I'd started drinking tomato juice instead of alcohol on board and found it significantly helped with not getting jet lagged or sick (I have bad allergies that get aggravated by the dry air). Now they're taking that away, but keeping Buffalo Trace - maybe I'll switch back to drown my sorrow

(I'll probably request OJ instead, but I liked that tomato juice was non-sugary )
Old May 13, 2018, 11:14 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by greggarious
Ironically, I'd started drinking tomato juice instead of alcohol on board and found it significantly helped with not getting jet lagged or sick (I have bad allergies that get aggravated by the dry air). Now they're taking that away, but keeping Buffalo Trace - maybe I'll switch back to drown my sorrow

(I'll probably request OJ instead, but I liked that tomato juice was non-sugary )
No need to, Tomato Juice is/will be back in the drink carts.
Old May 13, 2018, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Halo117
New kirby statement 5 days ago "In light of new information regarding in flight beverages UA will remove free water as consumption rates indicated passengers don't drink water. Passengers are welcome to bring their own on board or purchase one found in the onbaord menu. Again thank you for flying US airways...um G4 dangit NK...ahhh your friendly airline"

today's statement" in light of customer feedback and medical science free water is now back (expected in 9 months) ....this customer enhancement shows UAs commitment to our customers"

sadly insert any product name and i could work for UAs PR department.
Being HP Platinum in the days, I am kind of allergic to Parker/Kirby since they did a bunch of crazy cuts - no free drinks, no entertainment system (this was the MP3/Walkman and portable DVD player era), sneaky elimination of HP short-haul awards... So, I am not surprised UA is going this direction again with fuel prices going up (or not).

On the other hand, all these other major improvements (United Clubs, Polaris) have to be paid for somehow. Sometimes you wonder how much of all these big improvement projects were set in motion by Smisek already.

Part of this is really the endless cycle of cost-saving and earnings improvement that is demanded by the customers (individuals and corporations whose employees travel) and financial markets. It is never going to end, is it?
Old May 13, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: None anymore
How much of these cuts do you think are due to LCC's and trying to compete with them?
Old May 13, 2018, 9:22 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Was told on my flight yesterday that the Dasani with lime is also getting cut "due to demand"... anyone else hear this or FA rumor? Have 3 flights this week so will keep trying to order.
Old May 13, 2018, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by warrenw
How much of these cuts do you think are due to LCC's and trying to compete with them?
Cutting in order to offer as few things as them? How is that competing? Is United going to proudly proclaim, “We offer as little as Spirit!”
Old May 13, 2018, 11:43 pm

Diet drinks like Sprite Zero accommodate the disability of a diabetic.
Old May 14, 2018, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
Was told on my flight yesterday that the Dasani with lime is also getting cut "due to demand"... anyone else hear this or FA rumor? Have 3 flights this week so will keep trying to order.
Well they run out on each every flight from LHR-SFO-LHR that I have been on recently! At the end of the day they just dress it up to suit themselves as to what drivel they think the public might fall for.
Old May 14, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
No tomato juice ORD-AMS today. amazing how they have it taken away pretty much instantly (it was already gone on my AMS-IAH flight last wednesday).

Let's see them go the route of the ice cream bowls and take 9 months to reintroduce it.
Old May 14, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

Cutting in order to offer as few things as them? How is that competing? Is United going to proudly proclaim, “We offer as little as Spirit!”
Think about it. LCC's are able to compete because they make their money back on charging for inflight stuff and charging fees for literally everything (even printing your ticket!!). If UA cuts as much "free" stuff as possible it helps them to compete with LCC's with airfare. Didn't Kirby or Munoz say something like that like a year ago, that they are struggling to compete with LCC's on price? Something like that. Anyway just a thought.
Old May 15, 2018, 12:46 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

No tomato juice on LAS-ORD this evening.
Old May 16, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
No tomato juice on UA1982 today. SAN-DEN. So water all the way - healthy alternative to everything else on offer. Went into the United Club and got my tomato juice. Seriously, how hard is it to put juice on a flight? Bit angry as Wifi kept dropping every five minutes for the whole flight and they had switched out the plane with Direct TV for one without. My book was in my checked luggage *sigh First world problems. But when will the tomato juice be back. Hoping it is on my DEN-LHR flight
Old May 16, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by demkr
Wish people would be more vocal about the insane meal cuts than tomato juice.
I'd probably be more inclined to protest the quantity of food now being served if the quality wasn't so bad ... Airline food had a well-deserved reputation for mediocrity before but anymore it seems that the Coach meal of yesteryear was better than the domestic First Class meal of today.
Old May 17, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, 2.3 MM
"Get rid of Coke Zero "

Uhmmm, No Way in H - E - double hockey sticks!!!!

And to the poster regarding Kirby, I agree. Just got back from FRA and had nice conversations with the crew. General consensus as well. Could not believe the nixing of Tomato juice. Glad they rescinded that...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.