Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Drink changes, No tomato juice&SpriteZero-social media pressure restores tomato juice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Drink changes, No tomato juice&SpriteZero-social media pressure restores tomato juice

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2018, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by KG_II
I wonder if they're running out, or just not serving it and saying they've ran out.
What would motivate a crew to do that?
Old May 6, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by prometa
Recent UA flights I've been on have all run out of club soda and sparkling water,
I noticed that too. And it's a pain because that's what I like to drink........on flights that don't have Champagne.
Old May 6, 2018, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I doubt that there is a price difference between variations of sodas and juices. So attributing it to cost cutting doesn't make much sense. Perhaps someone can explain.

What does make sense is if tastes are changing and UA is running out of one variety and something has to go.
Old May 6, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
I doubt we'll ever get a definitive answer on these changes. My speculation is it really doesn't relate to "unit cost" and hence cost reduction. It feels more like reducing variability/ reducing the number of options to optimize inventory management. Ultimately, I think we'll see far fewer choices. And then after initial complaining we will become conditioned to the "new normal".
Old May 6, 2018, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Ultimately, I think we'll see far fewer choices. And then after initial complaining we will become conditioned to the "new normal".
"Cheezborger, Cheezborger, Cheezborger. No Pepsi... Coke!"
Old May 6, 2018, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
On one of my flights today the guy next to me asked for Tomato juice. He got told that they no longer have it but do have "spicy tomato juice" instead. So he took that. Maybe that was Bloody Mary mix??

-RM
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 6, 2018, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I recall DL dropped Tomato Juice briefly at one point. It seems they got so much negative feedback that they brought it back.
Old May 6, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA 1P, AA fallen Gold, Marriott Gold, Priority Pass, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by radiowell
"Cheezborger, Cheezborger, Cheezborger. No Pepsi... Coke!"
Fries?
Old May 6, 2018, 9:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Kirby's got to go.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 6, 2018, 10:41 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Changeover without announcement (or at least, none that I saw) happened on 1May at hubs.

FWIW, Tomato juice was rarely out on my flights. It appears to have been replaced with a mix of more seltzer and more BM mix. Sprite zero was out often but that was due to only 2 cans being catered per cart. Replaced by regular sprite, so far.

If you guys want them back, write it in. Especially if you're GS/1K.
Old May 7, 2018, 1:39 am

Programs: United 1K, Southwest Companion, Marriott Platinum Premier, National Executive
Topic came up on UA1100 ORD-SFO today. Lots of surprises on the lack of tomato juice (especially on a Sunday morning)
Old May 7, 2018, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by prometa
Classic tension between variety and quantity. Recent UA flights I've been on have all run out of club soda and sparkling water, but I bet the same isn't true with Sprite Zero or tomato juice.
Originally Posted by cawhite

I fly UA most weeks - IME it is not uncommon for them to run out of Sprite Zero (Coke Zero even more frequently).
I usually drink Sprite Zero when not drinking alcohol. They often run out.

Originally Posted by fezzington
Changeover without announcement (or at least, none that I saw) happened on 1May at hubs.

FWIW, Tomato juice was rarely out on my flights. It appears to have been replaced with a mix of more seltzer and more BM mix. Sprite zero was out often but that was due to only 2 cans being catered per cart. Replaced by regular sprite, so far.

If you guys want them back, write it in. Especially if you're GS/1K.
Thanks as always for the info. Will definitely write in, as well as mention in surveys...but I am doubtful it will make any impact.
Old May 7, 2018, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Any change that an airline/whomsoever makes and does not announce as the next best thing is always a bad one for customers. And of course they know that. I like the Mrs T spicy mix but whoever upthread said it is salty is bang on. But not as salty as the emergency doner kebab I sometimes get from the layby on the A30 !
Old May 7, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: UA GS
My complaint about the sprite zero removal is that they now do not offer a caffeine free zero calorie sweetened drink option. Setting aside the fact that research shows artificial sweeteners are no better for you than real sugar, and that I've been drinking diet coke for yeas and not gotten any thinner, it's the thought that counts!
Old May 7, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: UA 1MM
No fries. Chips!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.