Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Drink changes, No tomato juice&SpriteZero-social media pressure restores tomato juice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Drink changes, No tomato juice&SpriteZero-social media pressure restores tomato juice

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2018, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, A-List

just found out from my flight attendant at PDX that as of the 1st of the month UA has discontinued Tomato juice and Sprite Zero (and maybe some other choices)?

thats terrible...
Old May 6, 2018, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mythx88
just found out from my flight attendant at PDX that as of the 1st of the month UA has discontinued Tomato juice and Sprite Zero (and maybe some other choices)?

thats terrible...
Appears to be the case, along with changes in booze noted in other threads:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...s/default.aspx
Old May 6, 2018, 2:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Seriously, how cheap can they possibly get?? This is ridiculous. Kirby needs to go.
Old May 6, 2018, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
nuts.

David
Rumples likes this.
Old May 6, 2018, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by DELee
nuts.
Probably next to go.
Old May 6, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
Originally Posted by mythx88

thats terrible...
Tomato juice is especially surprising since it is quite popular and as I understand still tastes just as good (better?) in the high altitude environment of the plane vs on the ground. Seems like the ghost of Smisek is back with a vengeance in the form of Kirby and UA will stop at nothing to alienate passengers with no real gain to the bottom line.
FlyingNone and lupine like this.
Old May 6, 2018, 4:24 pm

Bloody Mary Mix is a good replacement for tomato juice, IMHO.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 6, 2018, 4:51 pm

Classic tension between variety and quantity. Recent UA flights I've been on have all run out of club soda and sparkling water, but I bet the same isn't true with Sprite Zero or tomato juice.

Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer
Bloody Mary Mix is a good replacement for tomato juice, IMHO.
Bloody Mary mix is often heavily salted. Last time I tried it as a replacement I needed to drink a bunch of water soon after.
Old May 6, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by prometa

Bloody Mary mix is often heavily salted. Last time I tried it as a replacement I needed to drink a bunch of water soon after.
It is very heavily salted. Since I began watching my salt intake, I had to switch from a Bloody Mary to vodka cranberry as my drink on morning flights!
mtbaker, EWR764, tuolumne and 5 others like this.
Old May 6, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA GS
Classic tension between variety and quantity. Recent UA flights I've been on have all run out of club soda and sparkling water, but I bet the same isn't true with Sprite Zero or tomato juice.
I don’t know why they need both Coke Zero and Diet Coke. Get rid of Coke Zero and put Sprite Zero back!
Old May 6, 2018, 5:44 pm

There’s no cost difference between various types of sodas and juices, so it’s hard to see this as a cost-driven change. There is limited cart and galley space and it makes sense to cut less consumed products to make room for more popular drinks. There’s pretty good data on what’s consumed.
cur and DetroitFlyer like this.
Old May 6, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Seriously, how cheap can they possibly get?? This is ridiculous. Kirby needs to go.
Not just Kirby....Oscar really needs to go. Effectively a hands off CEO who was brought to bring change to UA. Except the product, service, etc is pretty much back as it was when Jeff was at the helm. CEOs should drive some sort of results not just hand the reigns to the President. Sure they’ve improved the operation, but every effort that was made to bring the product on par with AA, DL has pretty much been undone. It’s all cuts....can’t think of anything in the past 6 months that actually has been an improvement.

Old May 6, 2018, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines

Originally Posted by DELee
nuts.

David
sure, no prob.
Old May 6, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Classic tension between variety and quantity. Recent UA flights I've been on have all run out of club soda and sparkling water, but I bet the same isn't true with Sprite Zero or tomato juice...
I fly UA most weeks - IME it is not uncommon for them to run out of Sprite Zero (Coke Zero even more frequently).
Old May 6, 2018, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by cawhite

I fly UA most weeks - IME it is not uncommon for them to run out of Sprite Zero (Coke Zero even more frequently).
I wonder if they're running out, or just not serving it and saying they've ran out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.