Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Drink changes, No tomato juice&SpriteZero-social media pressure restores tomato juice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Drink changes, No tomato juice&SpriteZero-social media pressure restores tomato juice

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:39 pm

I actually like the Bloody Mary Mix and of course Laguanitas and other craft beers. Stella is also good. To me if I can get beer and wine complimentary on an international flight in Y it sure beats the boxed wine. I go to the airline clubs for the spirits and call it a day.

If UA had tomato juice it would not cost much to keep it.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
UA1982 today SAN-DEN still no tomato juice. So that is three months without tomato juice on either domestic or international flights. Water and coffee, it is although you would think with the obesity epidemic and trying to save on fuel costs UA would put less soda and sweet juices on the flights.

Yes, I know tomato juice is supposed to be returning and previous FAs have told me it is returning but today the FA didn't even try and tell me it is returning, just it has not been available on flights for a while.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 7:56 pm

UA5915 BIL-DEN June 19, no tomato juice. Very, very frustrated
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 8:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
.... So that is three months without tomato juice on either domestic or international flights. .....
Wasn't it May 1st or more like 6-7 weeks ago when tomato Juice started to disappear?
Old Jun 19, 2018, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Wasn't it May 1st or more like 6-7 weeks ago when tomato Juice started to disappear?
Sorry you may be right. Nonetheless the FAs are not even saying it is returning. Very frustrated with the drink situation.

Hopefully there will be tomato juice on my DEN-SAN flight....

Last edited by Aussienarelle; Jun 19, 2018 at 10:11 pm
Old Jun 22, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
United Removes Sprite Zero. . Again

United removed several non-sugar options from the flight menu about two years ago, including Sprite Zero. A passenger outcry saw them return the option.

Now as of June 1, Sprite Zero is gone again.

Seems like diabetics and others attempting to keep their conditions "in check" have fewer and fewer options on board, as sugar-free options INCREASE elsewhere.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
My preferred non-sugar drink is water. I also drink coffee, black, and green tea.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Meh, drink water. It’s better for you.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: 1K
You're on a plane. Like others have suggested, water is probably best anyhow...

Are you saying that United eliminating Sprite Zero is bad for passengers with DM? How many obese people do you know that chug Diet Coke all day? I can think of more than a handful in my office alone (small sample size). As I'm intimately familiar with family medicine, I can tell you that many doctors would agree that separating people from sugar "substitutes" is a good thing. Consuming these beverages leads people to believe that they are making "healthy" decisions, even though they aren't.

The implication that United is being insensitive to those with DM is just silly. Drink water. Or club soda with lime.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Yet, 100 posts complaining about tomato juice.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 10:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite
eliminate all alcohol by that metric too.

and IFE and WiFi. Meh, read a book.

the Dasani sparkling lime is pretty weak.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by uastarflyer

the Dasani sparkling lime is pretty weak.
If it makes you feel better - keep the Dasani - and bring back Sprite Zero

If I ran the airline, I'd dump the tomato juice and the coffee - that stuff just stinks up the place. I can't stand the smell of either

While part of this is in jest - I don't think a lot of people realize that to some people, coffee and tomato juice stink.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 10:52 pm

No tomato juice last week. I guess United wants to promote diabetes by pushing sugary drinks.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
If it makes you feel better - keep the Dasani - and bring back Sprite Zero

If I ran the airline, I'd dump the tomato juice and the coffee - that stuff just stinks up the place. I can't stand the smell of either

While part of this is in jest - I don't think a lot of people realize that to some people, coffee and tomato juice stink.
youre the first person I’ve ever heard that says tomato juice stinks. Clearly, there are a lot of people who drink it (I’m not one of them, but I have no objection to it being offered).

If if you are suggesting that we should eliminate items that ‘some’ (define that however you want, I guess) people are offended by the smell of, I’d guess they’d have to pretty much eliminate every hot for purchase item from the cabin, and they’d have to also pretty much ban people from bringing on their own food, too (particularly fast food). Ever been on a flight where someone brought McDonalds/BK onboard? or a tuna sandwich? Or worse - both (I’ve had that happen - combined it’s really a case of 1+1 = >2).
Old Jun 23, 2018, 10:07 am

So not certain social media pressure did result in tomato juice restored to flights. It is one thing to say they will bring it back but lack of tangible results makes me think nothing will change and certainly the FAs on my last few flights (vs a few weeks ago) do not mention it will be coming back. It is not like I can bring tomato juice onto the plane with me, but perhaps I can ask in the UA lounge for a to-go drink as I know the lounges have tomato juice (although not certain you are supposed to take things from the lounge when you leave.)

Fortunately I do not have any more UA flights until mid-July, so hopefully the tomato juice will be back on flights by then, as seriously how long does it take to get something back into the supply chain? No wonder UA has so many mechanical issues. If it cannot get tomato juice on flights, how does it ensure it has the right parts?

For the naysayers about tomato juice, I actually drink much water on the flights as flying is very dehydrating but it is nice to mix it up with something to line the stomach before having a glass of wine. I prefer not to drink coffee on flights as also dehydrating, although may have a cup of tea during day time flights.

Originally Posted by BF263533
No tomato juice last week. I guess United wants to promote diabetes by pushing sugary drinks.
Well it would cost them less in fuel if passengers weighed less - perhaps the plan it to fatten up the passengers and then charge the overweight passengers more. A revenue enhancing exercise. Hmmm

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 23, 2018 at 1:42 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.