Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Drink changes, No tomato juice&SpriteZero-social media pressure restores tomato juice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Drink changes, No tomato juice&SpriteZero-social media pressure restores tomato juice

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2018, 10:36 am
Suspended

Two types of diet coke, not diet anything else?

Is this standard on all united flights now? They had two types of diet coke to offer today, but there was no diet sprite/similar. I'm not sure if anyone else noticed this. I typically prefer to avoid caffeine in the middle of the day and it seems like a stupid move on their part.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 24, 2018 at 10:42 am Reason: move to exisiting thread
Old May 24, 2018, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ou81two
Is this standard on all united flights now? They had two types of diet coke to offer today, but there was no diet sprite/similar. I'm not sure if anyone else noticed this. I typically prefer to avoid caffeine in the middle of the day and it seems like a stupid move on their part.
They recently removed diet sprite. Also tomato juice, but enough people tweeted that it came back.

I think there is a sparkling dasani lime? drink, but I haven't tried it. I imagine it's more like lacroix than diet sprite.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 24, 2018 at 10:41 am Reason: cleanup after merge;thanks for the link
Old May 24, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Not surprisingly, no Sprite Zero on my FRA-SFO yesterday...

Polaris lounge has Sprint Zero in cans. Guess I'll be doing "BYO" onto the plane for my SFO-NRT flight on Saturday...

Update: And it worked great. When they came around for the initial drink service I asked if they had any Sprint Zero, and the flight attendant said unfortunately not. So I reached over and grabbed my 2 small cans I'd swiped from the Polaris lounge, and asked for just a glass of ice. The flight attendant was suitably impressed, especially when I told him where I'd got them from.

Next question is does the NRT UC/ANA lounge have Sprite Zero in cans for the return trip... (I'm pretty sure the answer is no)
UK Stages likes this.

Last edited by docbert; May 30, 2018 at 8:46 am
Old May 31, 2018, 2:41 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Data point: on two domestic and one intl flight in the past five days, none have had tomato juice available, only Bloody Mary mix. In every case, the FAs knew that tj was coming back, but it has not happened yet. UA may have "bowed to public pressure" but they're taking their time responding. Grrrrr!
On two AC flights a week ago, the cabin staff were incredulous that UA had tried to remove tomato juice from the beverages available..
Old May 31, 2018, 3:55 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
How long should it take to bring back a beverage product?

Still.... no tomato juice. UA 20 IAH - AMS yesterday. Is it pure incompetence or is it cost strategy to put it off as long as possible?

How long has it been? 6 weeks? It was taken away overnight.

I joked when it was taken away - and instantly given back - that it would take 6 months to re-implement (per the ice cream dish fiasco).

Absolutely unreal.
1P and Silver Fox like this.
Old May 31, 2018, 4:10 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
One FA told me it would be back in regular service June 10.
Old May 31, 2018, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by avi8tir
Still.... no tomato juice. UA 20 IAH - AMS yesterday. Is it pure incompetence or is it cost strategy to put it off as long as possible?

How long has it been? 6 weeks? It was taken away overnight.

I joked when it was taken away - and instantly given back - that it would take 6 months to re-implement (per the ice cream dish fiasco).

Absolutely unreal.
It hasn't been close to six weeks. It was supposedly ened 5/1 but various flights I had still it after that and it wasn't announced to be reversing their decision til closer to mid month.
Old May 31, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, UA PLT, Inspirato, Wheels Up, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by 1P
Data point: on two domestic and one intl flight in the past five days, none have had tomato juice available, only Bloody Mary mix. In every case, the FAs knew that tj was coming back, but it has not happened yet. UA may have "bowed to public pressure" but they're taking their time responding. Grrrrr!
On two AC flights a week ago, the cabin staff were incredulous that UA had tried to remove tomato juice from the beverages available..
My understanding was that the rollback of the meal cuts and tomato juice elimination are to take place beginning on June 1 as catering for May was already ordered
Old May 31, 2018, 11:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
Was told on my flight yesterday that the Dasani with lime is also getting cut "due to demand"... anyone else hear this or FA rumor? Have 3 flights this week so will keep trying to order.
this was supposed to be the alternative for us Sprite Zero fans

i had a few on my last transpacs and it is absolutely not a replacement for Sprite Zero. My FA (HKG PMUA base) helpfully added some lemon wedges to give it a boost. Still isn’t the same.

Geez UA gimme back Sprite Zero. Seriously.
Old May 31, 2018, 11:25 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
There seems to some confusion on how catering changes are made
-- a decision to make a change is done -- weeks, months prior to the change date
-- the decision is implemented -- but due to pipeline issues, the implementation date is weeks, months in the future. Suppliers are notified and their suppliers are notified -- procurement and supply forecasting are modified well in advance of the change.
-- the announcement, if any, is done just a few days to implementation-- once all the needed pipeline changes have been made

So, if you are reversing the decision, as in the tomato juice case, you need to walk thru the same steps -- which will take weeks, months to reverse.

One needs to understand the inventory, supply pipeline / supply chain issues to understand the timing.
Old May 31, 2018, 3:56 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There seems to some confusion on how catering changes are made
-- a decision to make a change is done -- weeks, months prior to the change date
-- the decision is implemented -- but due to pipeline issues, the implementation date is weeks, months in the future. Suppliers are notified and their suppliers are notified -- procurement and supply forecasting are modified well in advance of the change.
-- the announcement, if any, is done just a few days to implementation-- once all the needed pipeline changes have been made

So, if you are reversing the decision, as in the tomato juice case, you need to walk thru the same steps -- which will take weeks, months to reverse.

One needs to understand the inventory, supply pipeline / supply chain issues to understand the timing.
Just because it's always done that way doesn't mean it has to be. Supermarkets can get seasonal stock on (and off) the shelves much more rapidly than months away. Additionally, they respond to sales trends quickly. If a rival has a successful initiative, you can bet that the others will follow in short order. Not to do so means negative publicity and a drop in sales. The plain fact is that the airlines don't care enough to get their act together.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 4:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 1P
Just because it's always done that way doesn't mean it has to be. Supermarkets can get seasonal stock on (and off) the shelves much more rapidly than months away. .....
Because they plan for it in advance and have a few options pre-planned. That supply chain is designed for that predictable activity.
Old May 31, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Because they plan for it in advance and have a few options pre-planned. That supply chain is designed for that predictable activity.
Having dealt with supply chain issues as the manufacturer, I can tell you that if XYZ client called up tomorrow and asked for product to be shipped asap (and willing to pay the cost), we would ship it. UA has decided not to pay the additional cost in this case, so product will take a month or so to re-enter the market.

UA has decided to play a game of chicken in recent months with regard to not only this, but other things such as food, the poor excuse of catering out of Denver, etc. They are playing it and winning, because the economy is good and planes are full. If and when the Economy takes a dump, and airlines are once again competing for passengers I suspect UA will need to step up their game. Until then they don't care. On the rare occasion I fly first, my seat mate is often a non elite that chose the buyup from IAH-COS, cause she only travels once a year and decided it was worth it. If that is UA's target customer now, I wish them good luck in bad times. Crap food (if any), reduced beverage offerings; none of these things are the end of the world, but compiled together defines UA and who they want to be.
SPN Lifer and Silver Fox like this.
Old May 31, 2018, 5:28 pm

Maybe they are dead last in the JD Power surveys for a reason.

I've commented on Tomato juice in these forums so don't want to repeat but that was a totally bonehead decision. I continue to ask for it on every flight. SFO-ICN on Wednesday the purser actually said they had 1000's of cans sitting on the ground in a warehouse.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Having dealt with supply chain issues as the manufacturer, I can tell you that if XYZ client called up tomorrow and asked for product to be shipped asap (and willing to pay the cost), we would ship it. UA has decided not to pay the additional cost in this case, so product will take a month or so to re-enter the market.

UA has decided to play a game of chicken in recent months with regard to not only this, but other things such as food, the poor excuse of catering out of Denver, etc. They are playing it and winning, because the economy is good and planes are full. If and when the Economy takes a dump, and airlines are once again competing for passengers I suspect UA will need to step up their game. Until then they don't care. On the rare occasion I fly first, my seat mate is often a non elite that chose the buyup from IAH-COS, cause she only travels once a year and decided it was worth it. If that is UA's target customer now, I wish them good luck in bad times. Crap food (if any), reduced beverage offerings; none of these things are the end of the world, but compiled together defines UA and who they want to be.
You ignore the fact that United does not purchase, stock, or replenish beverages served on board. What cost is reasonable to accelerate all parts of the supply chain?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.