Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Drink changes, No tomato juice&SpriteZero-social media pressure restores tomato juice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Drink changes, No tomato juice&SpriteZero-social media pressure restores tomato juice

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I usually drink Sprite Zero when not drinking alcohol. They often run out.

Thanks as always for the info. Will definitely write in, as well as mention in surveys...but I am doubtful it will make any impact.
Likewise. It was the only diet, caffeine free soda option. (Club soda does not count.)
Craig6z, goodeats21 and wrp96 like this.
Old May 7, 2018, 10:28 am
Suspended

I was a fan of tomato juice - it tastes good, gives some vitamin C, and has no sugar. It always seemed to be a decently popular choice when I flew, I'm surprised they got rid of it.

I feel bad for the sprite zero fans, but honestly won't club soda or seltzer water work? (I was always hesitant to drink the tap water given the rumors I heard about the water tanks)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johngog.../#6d5e75284f71
Old May 7, 2018, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by SS255
Likewise. It was the only diet, caffeine free soda option. (Club soda does not count.)
Does UA offer a zero-calorie sweeter for the coffee? (I presume so, but have never asked)

Maybe we'll all be stuck pouring Equal in our lime sparkling waters to try to recapture Sprite Zero. Or if we all do it in protest, maybe they'll figure it out.
Old May 7, 2018, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by greggarious
I was a fan of tomato juice - it tastes good, gives some vitamin C, and has no sugar. It always seemed to be a decently popular choice when I flew, I'm surprised they got rid of it.

I feel bad for the sprite zero fans, but honestly won't club soda or seltzer water work? (I was always hesitant to drink the tap water given the rumors I heard about the water tanks)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johngog.../#6d5e75284f71
I always see them serving tons of tomato juice so I am also puzzled by that particular move. Perhaps they thought Bloody Mary mix to be a substitute but it isn't. I suspect TJ will return.

It is past time to kill the water is bad on planes legend. For as long as I know all the water, at least on UA that is served comes from bottled water. This is not true for the coffee which is still brewed from the plane's water supply, but the water served in cups is all bottled.
Old May 7, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.5MM, BA Blue, Wyndham Diamond
Thank you for this information. As usual, I find out 'changes you will like' from reading Flyertalk instead of from UA publicity. As I do not drink alcohol and certainly do not consume the artificial sweetner Aspartame (on which I am doing a study into its toxicity), without tomato juice there is little else left for me to drink on TATL flights. I have e-mailed 1K Voice, but I doubt whether they will take any notice of passengers' reaction.
Old May 7, 2018, 12:14 pm

Location: CTU/TFU(Chengdu, Sichuan, China) - MIG (Mianyang, Sichuan, China) - EWR/JFK/LGA/HPN (Great New York City Metro Area, NY, USA) - HVN/BDL (New Haven/Hartford, CT, USA)
Programs: UA 1MM/F9 Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Gold; IHG Platinum; Choice Privileges Platinum
This is a real bummer. I drink tomato juice aboard as the liquid digestive fiber supply to combat certain long distance travel related GI symptoms. Now the only choice left is the bloody mary mix and I have to get used to. BTW, I think both TJ and BM are heavily salted.
Old May 7, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
I didn't even know UA had Sprite Zero - and it's my favorite Titos mixer! (Hint: add a dash of angostura bitters and mmmmm)

Tomato Juice: <barf emoji>
Old May 7, 2018, 1:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I tried Mrs T's and can't stand it - but Sprite Zero is my #1 choice behind club soda and cranberry - even better is Sprite Zero and cranberry.
Old May 7, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by prometa
Does UA offer a zero-calorie sweeter for the coffee? (I presume so, but have never asked)

Maybe we'll all be stuck pouring Equal in our lime sparkling waters to try to recapture Sprite Zero. Or if we all do it in protest, maybe they'll figure it out.
They do have equal stocked. You've just given me an idea though. I normally drink vodka+sprite zero on long hauls, but I also carry splenda with me because it's hard to find overseas for when I'm having coffee (I hate those little tablets they have in Germany). I'm going to try it out in a vodka+club soda and see if it's adequate.
Old May 7, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Thought I’d get lucky and get a leftover Moscow smile. Nope...ok how about an Old Fashioned...nope none loaded. Asked for Buffalo Trace....nope sorry plane was catered in ORD. Can’t wait to see the sorry excuse for lunch. This is just pathetic.
Old May 7, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM
Well guess its back to water or club soda if you want a caffeine free, sugar free drink (and without limes, probably). Sigh.

I just tweeted at United about this. Please add your voice to save Sprite Zero as an on board beverage! I used a hashtag #SaveSpriteZeroUA . ; )

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 7, 2018 at 5:01 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old May 7, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Just got off my SFO-SAN flight. Needed something on my stomach. Tough weekend with little food. Requested tomato juice - none available. So asked for apple juice as the alternative - could not drink it as too sweet. Offered the waffle thing - turned it down as too sweet, same with the muffin they offered me. Seriously United, do you cater anything in domestic first class that is not sweet? Stuck to coffee and wster.

In fairness they do have milk available for coffee instead of half and half, so that is an improvement.

​​​
Old May 7, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
I guess I got lucky as I enjoyed a Sprite Zero on May 1 ORD-DEN. Probably leftover stock. And the card reader was bad so I got a free can of Pringles. If only I'd known it was such a special flight

Old May 7, 2018, 6:19 pm

Tomato juice is my go to drink every flight.

Seriously United.... Bloody Mary mix is NOT a substitute.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Now they’re messing with me. Mott’s Tomato Juice is a thin reed of sanity and comfort that keeps me looking forward to at least one element of the onboard experience. This aggression will not stand.
correction and 22H like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.