Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New (beta.)united.com layout -now standard site ("Classic View" returns) [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2018, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SFO777
Originally Posted by mr8
How to get the old layout back
  1. Delete the cookie named: newHP
  2. Go directly to https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/
  3. Enjoy it while it lasts
United Airlines' Redesigned Homepage Takes Off

Airline unveils new homepage with improved functionality and more personalized experience

CHICAGO, July 12, 2018

Today, United Airlines (UAL) announced the redesigned united.com homepage, featuring a more personalized digital experience for each customer and an updated, more modern, user-friendly design. The new homepage was created to better tailor the experience for customers, while also improving functionality and ease of use.

Some of the key highlights of the new homepage include:
  • A more contemporary, user-friendly design
  • Content personalized based on customer's MileagePlus status as well as upcoming, current and previous trips
  • A new display that is fully responsive for optimal viewing on desktop and mobile devices
  • A travel inspiration integration section that allows customers to explore curated content from different destinations United serves will be available later this year

"Each one of our customers is unique and has different needs for his or her travel, and our goal with this new homepage is to provide customers with a more seamless experience," said Praveen Sharma, vice president of digital products and analytics. "

Personalizing our digital offerings is just another step towards giving our customers the experience and the products that they ask for."United's homepage is the starting point where most of its customers begin their journey. These latest efforts reiterate the airline's dedication to improving the travel experience for its customers, beginning before they book a flight.

The airline first began rolling out the new homepage in April, and continued expanding to more and more users, while adding additional functionality throughout the phased roll out. The site will be live to all customers in early August.

Earlier this year, United updated its mobile website, adding a more optimized display, additional flexibility to adjust flights throughout the site, Japanese language and point of sale and more. The new design of United's homepage will also appear on the airline's mobile website, creating a more seamless experience when managing travel and bookings across a variety of different devices.

Today's announcement is just the latest in United's commitment to invest in all of its platforms to give customers the tools and information they desire to travel with ease.
Another workaround is a non-US site.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/ca/
Print Wikipost

New (beta.)united.com layout -now standard site ("Classic View" returns) [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2018, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Can't even get flight status tonight by entering a flight number. The red error comes up telling me to enter an airport code. I refuse. Guess I won't figure out the flight status.

Hey, UA, if I know the flight number I expect you to show me the status. And if it's a multi-leg flight then you can ask me which of those flights I want the status of. Gee, just like the "other" websites (and previous ua.com) do.

-RM
wavid likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Ok. UA changed the interface. I shrugged my shoulders. Not the biggest deal. It’s an airline website. I figured the kinks will be worked out.

I then read this thread. It sounds like people are using the changes as a catalyst to unleash other UA gripes. The gripes here remind me of this old iPhone spoof:

Kmxu likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 5:37 am
RNE

Originally Posted by RNE
How do I rename a reservation?
Seriously. How?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: '19 Global Services, 1.9m+ lifetime CO miles
Where are PQD totals now hsown? used to be able to see it on the mystatus page but now no longer there. Any thoughts on why they took this away? or am i not looking in the right spot
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by RNE
I've been in web design since the late 1990s. White space (better called "negative space") is all the rage nowadays.
A bit off topic, but can you provide any links or information as to why is all the rage today? I truly hate any website that takes information that used to be presented in a compact and efficient manner and now forces me to scroll forward and backwards in order to review it all.

On UA I could generally see all the details on a 4 segment reservation on a single page on my workstation, now I have to scroll it at least 1 page, where I define a page as the viewable area in my browser, to review it.

And its not like I'm doing this on a phone or tablet. we are talking about monitors at 1600x1200. 1920x1080 or even higher resolution.
rustykettel likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I don't at all understand what is going on. On personal PC, I'm still getting the old page, but it links to the "space invaders" page when I select a current reservation. On the work PC, I get the new website, but it pulls up the old reservation page (which I like).
Old Jul 30, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Can't get to mystatus.united.com anymore, it just sends me into a loop where they keep asking me to login again....

Do web designers ever take people with disabilities into account? For me the new design is just ugly and annoying to use, but with my mother's accessibility settings (she has low vision) it completely breaks. Those settings wouldn't be as necessary in the first place without all the white space and skinny fonts. I can't imagine anyone with any sort of vision impairment being able to navigate the new site.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
For what its worth, I sent the following note off to GS, and their response (not much of one) follows.........

"While the new website pages are clean and modern, the information provided is insufficient, inconvenient, clumsy, and there are lots of errors. The major item that must be fixed asap in my opinion is the “my account” —> “view activity since my last statement” —> “my activity” page. The prior site had YTD (and 2 year) complete detail and sums for miles/RDM/Bonus/PQM/PQD and upgrade redemptions and deposits. That page is critical - please restore it. The only way to get to that info now is to “download activity” to an excel spreadsheet where one needs to do one’s own sums. Way too much trouble, especially while moving/in transit. I would think UA would want customers to quickly and conveniently know their progress towards various milestones.

Please revert to the old site until this new one is ready for primetime. It unfortunately is not even close at this stage".

======================================
Response (and not even from GS, but from MP):

"Dear Mr. tcdtcd:

Thanks for taking the time to write to us. We’re glad to hear from you.

We have forwarded your comments on the changes to new united.com website and MileagePlus summary pages to our marketing department. Our marketing department continually monitors our customer's concerns, and implements changes based on feedback from our customer's.

As a Global Services member, we value your business. Thank you for choosing United and MileagePlus.

Regards,

Gxxx Mxxxx

MileagePlus® Lead Representative"
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
Been burning through my itineraries and am starting to book my travel for late 3Q-4Q... first time using the new site today, and wow. What a hot mess.

* Scrolling like 4 pages down to see the entire itinerary. No way to actually see my entire reservation on one page unless I scroll my browser out to <50%, and then the text is too small to read. What the heck is up with that? There's more white-space than content in those flight blocks??

* Seat assignments are shown in the bottom-half of the page, but the Change Seats button is all the way up at the top.

* The advertisements for "Popular" upgrades with "travelers like me" are actually larger than any of the flight information blocks. (Which is, foremost, hilarious... because not a single upsell offer shown is anything I don't already have, or am already entitled to...)

I'm guessing we may have gotten what we've been asking for, and they turned the keys over to some young cub developers with "fresh ideas" for how to improve the online tools. Because this site looks like someone took all of the worst ideas from the last 5 years of mobile app design, cranked the janky-ness up to 11, and then slapped it onto a desktop site. I feel like the words "who still buys tickets from a real computer instead of their tablet" must have been uttered in a designers' meeting, at some point.

Wow.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
There seems to be a a contagious stupidity among web designers of late, fomented by the idiots in management. All they want to report on is how they are impacting click rates and conversions for purchases.

No weight is given to actual customer usability or satisfaction... They want to be a revenue producer...usability be damned.

I have been sending lots of comments and complaints via the floating feedback tool on the right side of the page. Doubtful it helps.
Newest stupidity - printing a "trip". A simple round trip itinerary (1 segment out, 1 segment back) now takes 5 pieces of paper when printed.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by raiachat
Where are PQD totals now hsown? used to be able to see it on the mystatus page but now no longer there. Any thoughts on why they took this away? or am i not looking in the right spot
There is a separate thread on that issue -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ly-2017-a.html
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by eng3
Anyone getting a security error when trying to visit United.com?

In chrome, I get "NET::ERR_CERT_SYMANTEC_LEGACY" which means UA is using a no-longer trusted security certificate issued by Symantec or its subsidiaries (including GeoTrust, Thawte, and VeriSign)
This is slightly concerning. UA used certs that would have been impacted by the current implementation of this Google measure in the past, but the latest of those certs expired in 2017.

Are you on a pre-release channel of Chrome? What version of Chrome are you using?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mozilla
This is slightly concerning. UA used certs that would have been impacted by the current implementation of this Google measure in the past, but the latest of those certs expired in 2017.

Are you on a pre-release channel of Chrome? What version of Chrome are you using?
Chrome 'Canary' blocks the possibly-insecure Symantec certificate. The change rolled out first in April? Plus or minus.

edit: found a google blog post:
https://security.googleblog.com/2017...-symantec.html
seems to be chrome 70.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:11 pm

Started already in Chrome 66 but only for specific certs issued before Jun 1, 2016, and UA hasn't been using those on the new site as the latest of those certs expired in 2017 (which would've thrown errors to everyone, not just OP).

The current cert will be blocked in future versions of Chrome, of which I believe one is currently in a pre-release channel, but shouldn't be blocked in any current stable release of Chrome.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Another workaround is a non-US site.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/ca/

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 30, 2018 at 10:52 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.