Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Finally some free food in Y on long haul Hawaii (non-WestCoast) UA flights 1 Aug 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finally some free food in Y on long haul Hawaii (non-WestCoast) UA flights 1 Aug 2021

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2019, 7:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
UA 218, 8hr flight no meal

We just flew UA 218 HNL-ORD. Only served juice/soda and a cookie, no meal for a >8hr flight.

There's also no screen for movies. My wife and I could not connect to the onboard wifi. We were sitting at the back, so maybe too many people already connected by the time we sat down.

We flew on many shorter segments (various airlines) lately and there was always a meal, sometimes two, for that length of flight. No wonder as soon as we landed, many people rushed to restaurants to buy food.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 7:44 pm

What are you expecting? This is a domestic flight between the state of Illinois and Hawaii. If you want a meal buy one onboard or upgrade yourself to BusinessFirst (passengers last), or pick something up at the terminal. This is precisely what I did on my way back from Hawaii. There's a reason why WN, UA can price these domestic flights out so cheap and it's by doing away with all the posh and glamour from the 1960s.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Oct 12, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by j2simpso
What are you expecting? This is a domestic flight between the state of Illinois and Hawaii. If you want a meal buy one onboard or upgrade yourself to BusinessFirst (passengers last), or pick something up at the terminal. This is precisely what I did on my way back from Hawaii. There's a reason why WN, UA can price these domestic flights out so cheap and it's by doing away with all the posh and glamour from the 1960s.

Safe Travels,

James

Having a meal on a 8 hour flight = posh & glamour of 60's?
Old Oct 12, 2019, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by narvik
Having a meal on a 8 hour flight = posh & glamour of 60's?
It's a long haul domestic flight - what's the issue. Heck I flew EW from DUS to LAS on a Basic fare and was offered nothing aside from water. I didn't care, I went to the Senator lounge before and got myself well fed and drunk before the flight. One of the most pleasant flights I had in a while. If you want the extras you'll pay for it (and not everyone does). It's the nature of the beast!

Safe Travels,

James
seat38a and SFO_LOW_CLOUDS like this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
When you buy a ticket, UA tells you what to expect (food for purchase). In the days before the flight, UA e-mails what to expect in terms of entertainment and food (again, food for purchase). You’re not going to get much sympathy if you can’t be bothered to read what is presented to you multiple times.

United does not provide meals on shorter flights outside of a few coast to coast premium flights. Not sure who you fly that provides meals on shorter flights (Hawaiian?) or maybe it’s been a few years since you’ve flown?

As described by the ignored e-mail and during the flight attendant announcement, one has to download the United app to stream entertainment. Boarding last and sitting in back does not affect the availability of WiFi entertainment - not being prepared does.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Oct 12, 2019 at 8:06 pm
Old Oct 12, 2019, 8:00 pm

It's a long haul domestic flight - what's the issue. Heck I flew EW from DUS to LAS on a Basic fare and was offered nothing aside from water. I didn't care, I went to the Senator lounge before and got myself well fed and drunk before the flight. One of the most pleasant flights I had in a while. If you want the extras you'll pay for it (and not everyone does). It's the nature of the beast!

Safe Travels,

James
I’m sorry, but the OP is absolutely correct here.

Can you name another 7+ hour flight on any full service airline that doesn’t have a meal?

Hell, United serves two meals on Trans-Atlantic flights to other seasonal non-business locations in the UK, so your “nature of the beast” and pricing argument doesn’t hold up. A meal costs, what, less than a dollar per person? DL, AA & Hawaiian already do it on routes of that length, and UA is just being stupid with these flights.

They’ve tested light stuff on flights out of IAH, but no real investment yet. Time for them to get to the program....
milski, onthesam and Dreamlifter like this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 8:00 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Safe Travels,

James
BusinessFirst does not exist any longer.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by yscleo
We just flew UA 218 HNL-ORD. Only served juice/soda and a cookie, no meal for a >8hr flight.

There's also no screen for movies. My wife and I could not connect to the onboard wifi. We were sitting at the back, so maybe too many people already connected by the time we sat down.

We flew on many shorter segments (various airlines) lately and there was always a meal, sometimes two, for that length of flight. No wonder as soon as we landed, many people rushed to restaurants to buy food.
While I agree that UA should serve a meal on a flight of this length, look at the bright side: You are halfway to “intermittent fasting.” . (Kinda like “Halfway To Hawaii,” only everybody who plays wins. )
SFHokie likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis

Can you name another 7+ hour flight on any full service airline that doesn’t have a meal?

Hell, United serves two meals on Trans-Atlantic flights to other seasonal non-business locations in the UK, so your “nature of the beast” and pricing argument doesn’t hold up. A meal costs, what, less than a dollar per person? DL, AA & Hawaiian already do it on routes of that length, and UA is just being stupid with these flights.

They’ve tested light stuff on flights out of IAH, but no real investment yet. Time for them to get to the program....
Air Canada I believe doesn't serve meals on flights to the state of Hawaii from the Big Lemon. All the legacies in Europe these days charge extra for everything, when I flew LX and BA for a domestic flight to Switzerland or Ireland, I had to pay for my coke never mind a meal! I suspect there are other legacies that follow this as well for long haul.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Oct 12, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis

A full airline meal costs a lot more than a buck, even at wholesale prices.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 8:18 pm

I should also point out that the meals on full service airlines are certainly nothing to write home about. There are threads on FT reporting back on the qwality of Y meals and I would challenge you to find any of those meals being filling never mind nutritious. I've flown TPACs where you would get 2 such meals and trust me on a 17 hour flight it's not nearly enough carbs!

You can't have it both ways. You can't expect to have the finest filling food, a nice comfortable seat, complimentary booze, checked bags and cigars to smoke in your cabin yet pay only $300 for the fare. We are spending the same amount of dollars today as in the 1960s in spite of inflation! That should tell you ample about the progress we've made in aviation! Before only the rich few could go spend a week in Hawaii or travel out to the Far East of Bombay and Calcutta. Today anyone with a decent travel rewards card and moderate experience using Expedia can pick up said flights.

Safe Travels,

James
SFO_LOW_CLOUDS likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 8:52 pm
Suspended

Just hit the UC before. I get fed and drunk before so I pass out on the flight
Old Oct 12, 2019, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
DL offers complimentary meals for coach pax on HNL-ATL.
AA offers complimentary meals for coach pax on HNL-DFW.

I dunno about AS and HA, so hopefully others may be able to chime in.

Shame on UA.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
I dunno about AS and HA, so hopefully others may be able to chime in.

Shame on UA.
HA still serves meals on all flights ex mainland. AS is all buy on board in coach.
milski likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 8:59 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
It's a long haul domestic flight - what's the issue. .. I didn't care, I went to the Senator lounge before and got myself well fed and drunk before the flight. One of the most pleasant flights I had in a while. If you want the extras you'll pay for it (and not everyone does). It's the nature of the beast!
Good for you to to be able to eat and get drunk at Senator lounge before flight. Not everyone else has status.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
When you buy a ticket, UA tells you what to expect (food for purchase). In the days before the flight, UA e-mails what to expect in terms of entertainment and food (again, food for purchase). You’re not going to get much sympathy if you can’t be bothered to read what is presented to you multiple times.
I used aeroplan for the ticket. UA (or AC/ae) did NOT send me emails about what to expect for entertainment or food. The few times we called UA with questions about flights (including if meal is offered), unfortunately UA reps are often wrong in the answers, so asking UA agents is often not going to get you the right answers. UA reminder email of the flight, or online checkin system does not provides these info either.

Fortunately we were prepared and had snacks with us.

United does not provide meals on shorter flights outside of a few coast to coast premium flights. Not sure who you fly that provides meals on shorter flights (Hawaiian?) or maybe it’s been a few years since you’ve flown?
We've finally been able to begin flying more in recent years. In this trip, we flew SN 552 YYZ-BRU (7h20m) providing 2 meals, OZ 542 FRA-ICN (10h) providing 2 meals, and UA 902 NRT-HNL (7h25m) providing 2 meals.

As described by the ignored e-mail and during the flight attendant announcement, one has to download the United app to stream entertainment. Boarding last and sitting in back does not affect the availability of WiFi entertainment - not being prepared does.
You assumed we ignored emails or announcements. As I mentioned, UA's emails did not provide details. We followed the instructions, so did others on the flight, but the onboard wifi was not very good, and many of us could not connect to do anything.

Air Canada I believe doesn't serve meals on flights to the state of Hawaii from the Big Lemon. All the legacies in Europe these days charge extra for everything, when I flew LX and BA for a domestic flight to Switzerland or Ireland, I had to pay for my coke never mind a meal! I suspect there are other legacies that follow this as well for long haul.
You can't have it both ways. You can't expect to have the finest filling food, a nice comfortable seat, complimentary booze, checked bags and cigars to smoke in your cabin yet pay only $300 for the fare.
I never said I wanted the finest filling food, nice seat, free booze, for cheap. I was stating the fact of this travel. No need to keep trying to put words into people's mouth. Safe travels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.