Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Finally some free food in Y on long haul Hawaii (non-WestCoast) UA flights 1 Aug 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finally some free food in Y on long haul Hawaii (non-WestCoast) UA flights 1 Aug 2021

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2019, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis
I’m sorry, but the OP is absolutely correct here.

Can you name another 7+ hour flight on any full service airline that doesn’t have a meal?

Hell, United serves two meals on Trans-Atlantic flights to other seasonal non-business locations in the UK, so your “nature of the beast” and pricing argument doesn’t hold up. A meal costs, what, less than a dollar per person? DL, AA & Hawaiian already do it on routes of that length, and UA is just being stupid with these flights.

They’ve tested light stuff on flights out of IAH, but no real investment yet. Time for them to get to the program....

EWR-HNL (I think they added a wrap on this flight), IAD-HNL, IAH-HNL, DL ATL-HNL (I think they added a wrap on this flight)

The real question is can you name ANY domestic flight where Economy gets served a meal? Maybe HA, B6, AS???

Yes, I think it is stupid that EWR-LHR is much shorter and gets 2 meals, but it is International so.......yeah - stupid

Here it is - up to date as of the time it was written I assume: https://beatofhawaii.com/airline-foo...awaii-flights/
yscleo likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA
United is certainly worse with the amenities for longer economy passenger to Hawaii compared to other airlines.

But they also do not give meals on many international flights to Latin America — yes Newark to Bogota is shorter than 8 hours but one also has to pass immigration and such upon arrival.

The information on UAs lack of meals is available on their website:

“On flights within North America, the Caribbean and most of Latin America, customers traveling in United Economy can enjoy:
  • Complimentary soft drinks, juices, tea and freshly brewed illy coffee
  • Complimentary snacks, including a choice of cookies, pretzels or snack mix
  • Snacks and snackboxes from our Choice Menu Snack shop, available for purchase on select flights
  • Freshly prepared meals from our Choice Menu Bistro on board offerings, available for purchase on select flights
  • Beer, wine and spirits available for purchase on all flights”

And I agree it is not particularly helpful to mention loading up at a Senator lounge while flying Eurowings— as UA does still give meals on transatlantic flights.

UA should do better.
narvik likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 9:42 pm

The bigger mistake the OP made is to be informed enough to bother to complain on a popular travel forum, but to be uninformed enough to not bother to research beforehand, or pay attention at all.
SFO_LOW_CLOUDS likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I just tried a booking on AC website for a trip that involves a UA segment to/from Hawaii. It clearly says “food for purchase” on the United flights under details.

I have no problems with complaints about UA not providing meals on a flight like this. Complaining that one didn’t know about lack of meal when the information is presented and/or easily findable online is another thing. “I booked on Aeroplan” doesn’t necessarily mean United meal info wasn’t available.
narvik likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Oct 12, 2019 at 9:55 pm
Old Oct 12, 2019, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by yscleo
We just flew UA 218 HNL-ORD. Only served juice/soda and a cookie, no meal for a >8hr flight.

There's also no screen for movies. My wife and I could not connect to the onboard wifi. We were sitting at the back, so maybe too many people already connected by the time we sat down.

We flew on many shorter segments (various airlines) lately and there was always a meal, sometimes two, for that length of flight. No wonder as soon as we landed, many people rushed to restaurants to buy food.
you didn’t feel like any of the fresh food options? The cheeseburger is very tasty.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
you didn’t feel like any of the fresh food options? The cheeseburger is very tasty.
OP did mention he/she was near back of plane. A complaint I’d probably concur with is “UA ran out of the Cheeseburger”. I don’t know how much better UA is doing on that front, but in the year after “free food for GS/1Ks” was rolled out, the cheeseburgers were often depleted before the carts moved out of the E+ section.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 10:13 pm

Why not buy something to eat?
Old Oct 12, 2019, 10:26 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I just tried a booking on AC website for a trip that involves a UA segment to/from Hawaii. It clearly says “food for purchase” on the United flights under details.

I have no problems with complaints about UA not providing meals on a flight like this. Complaining that one didn’t know about lack of meal when the information is presented and/or easily findable online is another thing. “I booked on Aeroplan” doesn’t necessarily mean United meal info wasn’t available.
I redeemed on aeroplan for the trip. I did NOT buy on AC's website. ae provided different info than AC (note AC sold ae, so ae was a separate entity for many years, until recently when AC bought ae back for cheap, but did not integrate the two parts yet) There was no info about no food on that segment. Fortunately we made sure we ate beforehand, and did bring snacks/drinks ourselves.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Very glad you had snacks / drinks.

Even with a plane meal, I’ll eat at airport or buy food at airport because sometimes the meal served on a plane isn’t very tasty. It’s hard to beat getting the food that I want at the airport, like a good sandwich or cookie or pizza.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 10:43 pm

I redeemed on aeroplan for the trip. I did NOT buy on AC's website. ae provided different info than AC (note AC sold ae, so ae was a separate entity for many years, until recently when AC bought ae back for cheap, but did not integrate the two parts yet) There was no info about no food on that segment. Fortunately we made sure we ate beforehand, and did bring snacks/drinks ourselves.
So are you having a problem with:
1) United didn’t have complimentary food for you in economy, or 2) United didn’t have buy on board food for you in economy, or 3) United had buy on board but why do you have to pay for food?

if it’s 1), then better research next time regardless of where you buy your tickets (I would think you at least check your reservation on United site which will list the meals). If it’s 2), then it’s worth complaining. If it’s 3), then it gets tricky
Old Oct 12, 2019, 10:44 pm

Good for you to to be able to eat and get drunk at Senator lounge before flight. Not everyone else has status.

I used aeroplan for the ticket. UA (or AC/ae) did NOT send me emails about what to expect for entertainment or food. The few times we called UA with questions about flights (including if meal is offered), unfortunately UA reps are often wrong in the answers, so asking UA agents is often not going to get you the right answers. UA reminder email of the flight, or online checkin system does not provides these info either.

Fortunately we were prepared and had snacks with us.

We've finally been able to begin flying more in recent years. In this trip, we flew SN 552 YYZ-BRU (7h20m) providing 2 meals, OZ 542 FRA-ICN (10h) providing 2 meals, and UA 902 NRT-HNL (7h25m) providing 2 meals.

You assumed we ignored emails or announcements. As I mentioned, UA's emails did not provide details. We followed the instructions, so did others on the flight, but the onboard wifi was not very good, and many of us could not connect to do anything.

I never said I wanted the finest filling food, nice seat, free booze, for cheap. I was stating the fact of this travel. No need to keep trying to put words into people's mouth. Safe travels.
And all 3 examples are international....
Old Oct 12, 2019, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I've never found it to be so. The bun is invariably dried out on the exterior, I almost never get the lettuce and tomato, and I've even had a cold patty with the hot bun.

Wendy's is tasty. Smashburger is tasty. Even a Big Mac is tasty. The United burger? Not so much.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 11:46 pm

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by j2simpso
It's a long haul domestic flight - what's the issue. Heck I flew EW from DUS to LAS on a Basic fare and was offered nothing aside from water. I didn't care, I went to the Senator lounge before and got myself well fed and drunk before the flight. One of the most pleasant flights I had in a while. If you want the extras you'll pay for it (and not everyone does). It's the nature of the beast!

Safe Travels,

James
I took a domestic flight (about a 6 hour flight) on China Southern 2 years ago and it offered TWO HOT MEALS! (one before and one after the intermediate stop)
Old Oct 12, 2019, 11:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Even Air Canada does not feed you on routes to Hawaii so why is this all of a sudden a big hoopla because United doesn't have food?? OP redeemed Aeroplan points, so either way OP wasn't going to get fed without ponying up for BOB. Unless I'm mistaken, Hawaiian, Delta and AA are NOT options available to the OP to use Aeroplan points on.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seat38a
Even Air Canada does not feed you on routes to Hawaii so why is this all of a sudden a big hoopla because United doesn't have food?? OP redeemed Aeroplan points, so either way OP wasn't going to get fed without ponying up for BOB. Unless I'm mistaken, Hawaiian, Delta and AA are NOT options available to the OP to use Aeroplan points on.
The OP obviously doesn’t travel much in North America, so is unaware as to food offerings among North American carriers. I’m pretty sure, based on this experience, the OP might check out operating carriers’ website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.