Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Finally some free food in Y on long haul Hawaii (non-WestCoast) UA flights 1 Aug 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finally some free food in Y on long haul Hawaii (non-WestCoast) UA flights 1 Aug 2021

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2018, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I fly HA F and I still buy snacks, water, and meals at airports to bring on board. At OGG I buy CPK pizza and am the guy in F walking on board holding a pizza box. At SFO I'll have food from gott's or any place with food. Just in case I don't like the F meal or snack offerings. I've flown enough airlines in Y and F to experience not enjoying the food, thus I just torch another $40-ish at airports for backup food.
Old May 3, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by gradsflyer
Maybe this deserves a new thread, but seems AA just announced new ORD-HNL service to directly compete with UA now, so have to wonder whether this will change things with meals at least on that route and hopefully others. AA will also be using a much newer aircraft with the 788, so hope UA might finally start sending something a little better to Hawaii to compete instead of the high density 772s.

Details: https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...bbean-flights/
The HD 772 isn't going anywhere, but the direct competition in the same market during peak season introduces a reasonable (but limited, IMO) possibility that UA responds to the AA free meals.
Old May 3, 2018, 12:15 pm
TCD

Programs: UA Gold, BA, HHonors, Avis
Originally Posted by EWR764
The HD 772 isn't going anywhere, but the direct competition in the same market during peak season introduces a reasonable (but limited, IMO) possibility that UA responds to the AA free meals.
I guess the question then becomes what option gets you more competitive advantage- spending $10 on free meals, or cutting the price of the flight by $10? If it is the latter...
Old May 3, 2018, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by spin88
Since Jeff took over in 2011, the driving principle has been that United will make more money by cutting product quality, as people has to fly them. It has not worked out so well, but having dug themselves into a deep financial hole, and having been underperforming now for year after year, Wall Street is putting pressure on them to not spend money and increase margin.
Is this serious? There would be no airline today named United or Continental if Jeff did not perform as he did. I am greatful for that.
Old May 4, 2018, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Meola10
Is this serious? There would be no airline today named United or Continental if Jeff did not perform as he did. I am greatful for that.
Meh. You're gonna get some gruntled ex-UA flyers rankled...

David
Old May 4, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by TCD
I guess the question then becomes what option gets you more competitive advantage- spending $10 on free meals, or cutting the price of the flight by $10? If it is the latter...
Or keep the fares the same and also charge $10 for meals and pocket the difference. If it works, why not?

Since Jeff took over in 2011, the driving principle has been that United will make more money by cutting product quality, as people has to fly them. It has not worked out so well, but having dug themselves into a deep financial hole, and having been underperforming now for year after year, Wall Street is putting pressure on them to not spend money and increase margin.
Originally Posted by Meola10
After watching what Scott Kirby and Doug Parker did at American, I have greater appreciation for what Jeff did at United
Old May 4, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
At least partially because some of the HNL flights, ex EWR and IAD are twice the length and time of those transcons. No entertainment or food for 10-11 hours is pretty ridiculous, so you're right that people are almost coerced into purchasing these things.
+1. Eating before boarding or buying at airport is fine for a 4-6 hour flight. But that doesn't work for flights of 10+ hours - what do you do at the end? Maybe for overnight not eating is normal, but for the mostly day flights to HNL (e.g., IAH departs 9:45 i believe) what does one do at the back end?
Old May 4, 2018, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Austin787
Or keep the fares the same and also charge $10 for meals and pocket the difference. If it works, why not?

After watching what Scott Kirby and Doug Parker did at American, I have greater appreciation for what Jeff did at United
And now we have Kirby going to work doing the same at UA, hiring him was the worst decision Oscar ever made.
Old May 5, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, IHG Ambassador
If you're connecting from an east coast city to the EWR-HNL, IAD-HNL, or ORD-HNL flights, often the connection times are tight at the hubs and when the inbound aircraft are flown by United Express, buying and bringing your own meal onboard isn't really practical.

The burgers offered on the legacy CO 767-400s seemed to taste better than the current BOB burgers; however, the BOB burger option on current flights is certainly a welcome choice for a hot meal on a long flight.
Old May 6, 2018, 12:43 am

Please no free meals. That just hurts 1k's and those who get it comped. I'd rather not pay an extra couple bucks for the ticket. Unbundle it all please. (and if 1k's get it free, it works out better for us)
Old May 6, 2018, 8:24 am

Adding meals would be an immediate cost. Extra expense, and some lost BOB revenue. Perhaps it's not a great expense (say $6 per person in F+B, and a loss of a few buck in BOB + drink sales) Then you do this for what 4 flights? That is what 1000 people each way? Well then lets assume $16K/day x 356 = $5.8 Million. Perhaps that is a little high (or low, I'm just spit-balling) but with the Hunter Keays of the world baying for cost cuts, its a hard sell. Why? Well the loss of traffic due to noncompetitive product takes a while. It is defuse, hard to measure, and is not immediately noticeable. Its the parents who flew HA on their recent trip, rather than UA and went "whow, that was much better, we are doing that again" Suddenly UA is out of four RT trips a year... But the long term damage is not what UA is thinking about right now.
Is there a compensation program where points or miles are jaded out for each invocation of Jeff? If not, I’m perplexed how his name finds it’s way into nearly every topic. Same thing with Hunter Keay: he hasn’t “bayed” for cost cuts (in fact, analysts can’t and don’t fill the role of business consultants), yet his name is also mentioned in nearly every topic.

Perhaps a thoughtful consideration of why BOB makes sense in markets where competition offers both complimentary food (meals are too strong a word) and BOB would be more constructive than gratuitous name dropping.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
In the terminal C at the C1 UC at IAH and preparing to board UA 253 to HNL in about 40 minutes. Regular on this flight at least once a month and have also found myself on HNL flights to and from ORD, EWR, and IAD in the past year. Just thinking, why is it that UA still can't bring themselves to serve complimentary meals in at least E+ as they are now doing for transcons when these Hawaii flights are often even 3-4 hours longer? My understanding is DL and AA are now doing this, and we all know that they each copy each other, so why not UA? I've gotten pretty used to eating the cheeseburger, but seeing some more options, especially for all the elites in E+ might be nice. Seems complimentary beer and wine shouldn't be too much to ask for either on these essentially long hauls.
Switch to DL or AA and maybe UA will hear you.

Yes, I am indeed for Choice 1, just venting that I wish UA would show some good will and follow suit of AA and DL but still okay paying for my meals. I was a UA flyer with far too many miles invested long before I moved to IAH last year where they hold a captive fortress hub anyway. On the plus side I've now gotten to know the FAs who regularly work this route so well that they have started comping me drinks though. Will actually miss seeing all the same faces on a regular basis as my wife relocates to IAH with me in July.
Wife vs. FA

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 3, 2018 at 10:36 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 3, 2018, 11:23 am

Why not eat according to the destination time zone and skip eating on the plane? This would help with the circadian rhythm and adapting to jet lag. So for IAH-HNL which is 10:00-13:30, have a light breakfast in Texas and then a slightly late lunch in HNL. You would then be right on track to eating on Hawaii time, rather than being stuffed with some mid-flight meal. On the way back, have a dinner prior to the 19:30 departure and then eat breakfast in Texas after the 0700 arrival, thus getting right back on track with central time zone feeding times.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Austin787

And now we have Kirby going to work doing the same at UA, hiring him was the worst decision Oscar ever made.
I think from the short-term UA numbers perspective (and isn't that what it is all about), it makes sense. However, it just seems inhumane - this is longer than some TATL flights.

I too sometimes think Smisek set a lot of the big projects in motion - Polaris, UC renovations, etc. - even though there were also a lot of cuts. Oscar basically did not do much - the initial good will are all chipped away (e.g. MP changes). Then the board probably wanted Kirby to really run the show and eventually replace Oscar. If things are like this now (good economy and still relatively decent fuel prices), how will things be when things get bad?
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by username
I think from the short-term UA numbers perspective (and isn't that what it is all about), it makes sense. However, it just seems inhumane - this is longer than some TATL flights.
This is what happens when you let Wall Street analysts run your business.
username likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.