Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Finally some free food in Y on long haul Hawaii (non-WestCoast) UA flights 1 Aug 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finally some free food in Y on long haul Hawaii (non-WestCoast) UA flights 1 Aug 2021

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2021, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by CLT
I don't know why they would remove them now. The MAX-8 is being delivered with ovens installed, as is the MAX-9. I would expect them to go back to their popular hot BOB program in the near future, and the ovens are used today on northern South America routes with hot meal service in Y.
I wouldn't unfortunately put anything past UA management thinking they can cut their way to solvency based on some stupid metric and idiotic set of rationalizations. Removing ovens has occurred in the past.

David
Old Jul 29, 2021, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
Yes, they could heat meals then serve them but doing so means they have to wait to serve the meals until they've been properly heated and have to get them out while they're hot. Catering cold meals means the FAs can start the bev/meal distribution soon after reaching altitude. In addition, hardly anyone ever complains about getting a cold meal at room temperature but you know FT would be rife with complaints about getting their "hot" meal after it's cooled down because the FAs had to back the cart up 3 times to let passengers pass through the aisle on the way to/from the lavatory.
I’m not sure why a few minutes to heat the meals would be a problem on a flight of this length. If we’re talking an ORD-LGA, than I can see that being a concern. I’m not sure why that would matter on a 6+ hour flight. Don’t they typically serve beverages while the meals are heating, anyway?

Also, I’m not sure why this would apply to HI flights anymore than it would to TATL/TPAC flights. In that case, why not just serve cold meals on those flights, too?
Old Jul 29, 2021, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by ALGU
If IAH and DEN aren’t buy on board, GUM shouldn’t be either. .-.
Yup always a strange outlier. HKG-GUM had hot food while a 2x longer GUM-HNL is BoB.

Originally Posted by wpcoe
Could they offer BOB in addition to the cold meal/sandwich? Why not try to make more money?
They used to do BoB in conjunction with whatever Y catering was offered on PTS and HNL flights.

Also in macro terms, whenever an airline provides food people always find someone to complain about it.
wpcoe likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by threeoh
Sucks for the 9+ hour ORD-KOA flight
I pretty much have always bought my own food when in Y on flights in and OUT of the Islands, even pre-pandemic. Let's face it with few exceptions (the burger for IOT) the food pretty much is poor to put it nicely. I have my go to place at various locations that I hit up for a "carry on" meal prior to my flights.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by nomad420
I pretty much have always bought my own food when in Y on flights in and OUT of the Islands, even pre-pandemic. Let's face it with few exceptions (the burger for IOT) the food pretty much is poor to put it nicely. I have my go to place at various locations that I hit up for a "carry on" meal prior to my flights.
Can't say the Kona airport has a lot of good food options that I noticed.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 9:35 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
NEVER buy anything except perhaps something to drink at KOA. Always pick something up on the way there. Hopefully once the construction is done there will be some better options at KOA. Quite honestly I am not even sure what is available now other than maybe a news stand and a couple of trinket shops given the on going construction.
bluedemon211 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 3:45 pm

Does anyone have any experience with this? Right now we're in E+ ORD-HNL and OGG-DEN and both show meals (breakfast/dinner respectively).
Old Aug 29, 2021, 5:03 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
They've updated their website with the latest info on meals in Y to Hawaii: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...g-changes.html

Long-haul flights to/from Honolulu and Kahului, Hawaii: Covered entrée, sides, a dessert, and your choice of pretzels, stroopwafel or Biscoff cookies. Choice Menu snacks are also available for purchase.
Denver and Houston Intercontinental flights to/from Honolulu and Kahului, Hawaii: Cold sandwich and your choice of pretzels, stroopwafel or Biscoff cookies.
Choice Menu snacks are also available for purchase.

IIRC, the entree on ORD/EWR/IAD flights is supposed to be cold but the verbatim on the website doesn't necessarily indicate that.
geckoflyer likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 10:06 pm

FWIW, I flew DEN-HNL on August 29th, and the sandwich was definitely served warm. It was a turkey sandwich, with turkey bacon and cheese. It "probably" would have been good, except that it was served on "vanilla bread". I do not know it the bread itself was awful, or if it was just the combination of turkey and vanilla, but I could not eat more than a few bites. Luckily I grabbed a few of the cold turkey sandwiches from the club, which were edible. I think the sandwich may have come with chips as well.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 11:25 am

I flew KOA-ORD on Dec 19th. Although all-in-one snack box is mentioned in the link above, flight information mentions Dinner service for economy. What we got was a full meal but cold: pineapple, dinner roll, and either pasta salad (no dressing) or chicken. Since they were cold, both entrees were bad. But still better than nothing..
Old Jan 10, 2022, 9:45 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: United Platinum, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
ORD HNL has some good meals. I've gotten the hot chicken sandwich, very filing...That was dinner.
unitedbusiness likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by scottemick
ORD HNL has some good meals. I've gotten the hot chicken sandwich, very filing...That was dinner.
How long ago was that? UA has moved back to multi-course meals (entree/salad/roll/dessert) on that route. The chicken sandwich sounds like something they were serving during first year plus or so of pandemic.

Edit: Maybe you were talking about economy meal, not F.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 10, 2022 at 7:25 pm
Old Jan 10, 2022, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by scottemick
Is that the same for the reverse? hnl to ord?
Old Dec 27, 2022, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CLT
They've updated their website with the latest info on meals in Y to Hawaii: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...g-changes.html

Long-haul flights to/from Honolulu and Kahului, Hawaii: Covered entrée, sides, a dessert, and your choice of pretzels, stroopwafel or Biscoff cookies. Choice Menu snacks are also available for purchase.
Denver and Houston Intercontinental flights to/from Honolulu and Kahului, Hawaii: Cold sandwich and your choice of pretzels, stroopwafel or Biscoff cookies.
Choice Menu snacks are also available for purchase.

IIRC, the entree on ORD/EWR/IAD flights is supposed to be cold but the verbatim on the website doesn't necessarily indicate that.
Are they still doing this? Do they include free beer/wine/spirits like American? The info is no longer on the United website.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 9:40 pm

Flew the nonstop IAD-HNL on Christmas Eve in Y. Served “continental breakfast”: Greek yogurt, hard and cold croissant, sour fresh fruit, and a Kind bar (best thing on the plate).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.