Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Finally some free food in Y on long haul Hawaii (non-WestCoast) UA flights 1 Aug 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finally some free food in Y on long haul Hawaii (non-WestCoast) UA flights 1 Aug 2021

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by gaobest
I fly HA F and I still buy snacks, water, and meals at airports to bring on board. At OGG I buy CPK pizza and am the guy in F walking on board holding a pizza box. At SFO I'll have food from gott's or any place with food. Just in case I don't like the F meal or snack offerings. I've flown enough airlines in Y and F to experience not enjoying the food, thus I just torch another $40-ish at airports for backup food.
I bring food with me on flights in domestic F all the time or I eat before/after.

On long haul international flights I'll often skip the meal in favor of sleeping if it leaves after 9 or 10.

There are few occasions when I eat the food on the airplane.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
OP - I feel for you as it is a long flight. However - I still believe UA is doing an excellent job offering BoB instead of free meals.

Airline food, including BoB, is not particularly good. So whenever I can, I would rather eat in the airport instead. UA's BoB gives you a clear message - if you don't want to pay for BoB, then prepare your own food.

I believe an unhealthy McD meal is way much better than anything UA can possibly offer.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 12:45 am

Last I checked Hawaii is one of the 50 states in the US. The policy for food on UA is pretty consistent, no free food in Y for domestic flights within North America & Caribbean. Sure DL and AA offer free meals for certain passengers on certain routes but if anything that creates confusion with PAX. Would you rather know that you won't be served food on a plane or board the plane only to realize there's no free lunch? As others have pointed out there's always BOB along with simply pre-eating at the airport or purchasing food to take onto the aircraft.

Also do you really want a catered meal if you're flying out of DEN these days?

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jun 8, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
I once flew UA IAD-HNL a few years ago, and there was no pre-arrival meal. I have to admit I was famished after the 8th hour and was told the caterer had only loaded breakfast and the f/a's attitude was more or less, suck it up. No snacks, nothing. Mercifully, subsequent flights on this sector have been properly catered, but I suspect though perhaps rare, it does happen. I am on Delta One via MSP and ATL moving forward, but the tickets are much more expensive and it is not non-stop. Perhaps you get what you pay for?
Old Jun 8, 2018, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by j2simpso
As others have pointed out there's always BOB along with simply pre-eating at the airport or purchasing food to take onto the aircraft.
Umm the problem is that is not always the case. Flights that depart after 8pm often have no food other than possibly snack boxes that run out halfway thru economy. And it is not possible to buy food at the airport if you are rushing to catch your flight after a day of meetings or maybe have a tight connection.

I personally do not care if UA charges for food but I do care if they decide not to sell food because some bozo in Chicago does not understand how people travel.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
I personally do not care if UA charges for food but I do care if they decide not to sell food because some bozo in Chicago does not understand how people travel.
Agreed on that point - food should always be made available to purchase, especially on these long haul domestic flights. It doesn't surprise me that UA doesn't cater flights properly given the fiasco in DEN. I can also understand why travellers wouldn't feel inclined to shove as much food in their mouth before taking a long (and likely bumpy) Pacific flight. What always surprised me about UA is they don't sell first class meals to coach. Having travelled on other carriers (i.e. Via Rail in Canada) that's always been an option!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Having travelled on other carriers (i.e. Via Rail in Canada) that's always been an option!
s
I was surprised how good the food was on Amtrak long distance trains. I am sure Canada is even better. But to be fair Amtrak has a full kitchen & dining car...
Old Jun 9, 2018, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Last I checked Hawaii is one of the 50 states in the US. The policy for food on UA is pretty consistent, no free food in Y for domestic flights within North America & Caribbean.
Well actually you're not entirely correct on this. E+ now gets free food and drinks on premium transcon routes, which are significantly shorter in time and distance than anything other than west coast flights to Hawaii, and as others have stated in their replies to my original post Hawaii routes are even longer than some TATL routes so it still does't make a whole lot of sense.

@ garykung, Regardless, I do always do BoB, and also have to disagree with you that while not fantastic, UAs BoB food is actually pretty decent and better than DL or AA. I even regularly see people in J and F request BoB items like the cheeseburger because they like them better than any of the other options being offered up front. I don't think BoB is a bad option, but especially as an elite on flights this long it just seems ridiculous to have to pay extra to eat.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by gradsflyer
Regardless, I do always do BoB, and also have to disagree with you that while not fantastic, UAs BoB food is actually pretty decent and better than DL or AA. I even regularly see people in J and F request BoB items like the cheeseburger because they like them better than any of the other options being offered up front. I don't think BoB is a bad option, but especially as an elite on flights this long it just seems ridiculous to have to pay extra to eat.
I stand by my opinion. At the mean time, if you have every seen me from a HNL flight, you are welcome to get my complementary BoB (Note - I always fly to HNL and I let others to get my complementary BoB if they choose to do so.)
Old Jun 10, 2018, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
....but especially as an elite on flights this long it just seems ridiculous to have to pay extra to eat.
Im just wondering, and I ask this as a multi-year UA elite myself, why it seems especially ridiculous to have to pay extra for a new vs. non-status? Does an elite need food more often than a non-elite? Does that elite necessarily pay more for their seat because they have status vs. a GM?

Yes, premier status pax get freebies that others don’t - like E+ seats and checked bag allowance, etc. - but until 1Ks started getting a free food and drink item, food has never been one of these items, and that’s a limited set of elites and just started fairly recently.

So I get the there should be free meals on this flight argument. I don’t get why ‘especially’ elites should.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
I don’t get why ‘especially’ elites should.
The route is incidental to the benefit.

Your argument, IIRC, has no difference than why elites can upgrade simply using RPUs or even with CPU for free, while the rest have to sit in the back.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:40 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by thejaredhuang
Another point of view, UA makes a lot of money from BoB on HNL flights. I've never seen more people buy food and rent tablets, at least 2-3x the amount on my HNL flight than IAD-LAX or EWR-LAX
Agreed. Even people with perfectly good iPhones rented tablets. I gather the latter's larger screen size was the appeal. I was fine with my dinky iPhone 6s.

Yes, and that's what I always use, except when it occasionally malfunctions and then I have to write in and usually get comped miles. I was referring thejaredhuang's reference about the unusually large numbers of tablets that people rent on these routes, not that I pay for them myself.
My recent experience was that the WiFi "failed" by granting me internet access I didn't pay for. ^
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:47 am

No meals served in coach? EWR to HNL

Will be flying from EWR to HNL this weekend (if it doesnt get delayed or cancelled due to snow)....and I noticed that it said "meals for purchase". I understand its a domestic flight....but its also 11 hours....so do they not serve meals?

Hopefully I wont have to find out the hard way, I've used my GPU upgrade, and I'm 1K...so i hope it comes through (showing 7 available seats so far).
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by carzaddict
Will be flying from EWR to HNL this weekend (if it doesnt get delayed or cancelled due to snow)....and I noticed that it said "meals for purchase". I understand its a domestic flight....but its also 11 hours....so do they not serve meals?

Hopefully I wont have to find out the hard way, I've used my GPU upgrade, and I'm 1K...so i hope it comes through (showing 7 available seats so far).
Yep. Bring a credit card or pack some food
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
EWR-HNL is buy-on-board with no complimentary meals in Y. You will get the complimentary stroopwafel with an option to buy breakfast items after takeoff, and then another BoB service with lunch items about 6 hours after takeoff (roughly just after leaving the CA/OR coast). I'm not 1K so I don't know if you'll get a complimentary BoB item for both meal services but I'm assuming you should get at least one free item off the menu.

Originally Posted by carzaddict

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.