Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New UA Destinations coming soon Rumors

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
I'd love to see SFO to KUL, but not exactly holding out hope!
jasondc likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
the story I have heard about SFO-TLV on UA is as follows: There was a group of Israeli techies that put together a petition that they gave to all the airlines to start an SFO-TLV route. United said to the group: this isn't even in our top 10 of city pairs, but given the strength of the petition, let's try it out with a 787 3 days a week. Within a month or so of opening the route they had such strong demand that they went daily with the 787. After about 18 months they announced they were up-gauging to the 777-300 daily. Clearly the experts at United had gotten it wrong initially but are making up for it now.

Personally, I think IAD-TLV would be a good flight too - lots of connections to the southeast and plenty of people who want to avoid EWR, not to mention all the government traffic that would result.
am1108 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 18, 2018 at 1:44 pm Reason: Removed quote of deleted content
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:25 pm

The key distinction here is that UA had been in BKK for close to 30 years so knew the market pretty well, but hadn't been in the SFO - TLV market before.

Nice urban legend, but as I know the people who actually worked on the business case for this flight, I can guarantee you this is the stuff of legend that makes for good story telling. Airline route planners and sales people meet with interested groups all the time who talk to them about new route opportunities. When they see compelling ideas they may augment already-existing knowledge with the new stuff, but it's very rare that it's the main progenitor of such a route. Neat story though.

I, too, would love to see an IAD route. Time will tell.

Originally Posted by NYTA
With all due respect to the industry "experts" - the story I have heard about SFO-TLV on UA is as follows: There was a group of Israeli techies that put together a petition that they gave to all the airlines to start an SFO-TLV route. United said to the group: this isn't even in our top 10 of city pairs, but given the strength of the petition, let's try it out with a 787 3 days a week. Within a month or so of opening the route they had such strong demand that they went daily with the 787. After about 18 months they announced they were up-gauging to the 777-300 daily. Clearly the experts at United had gotten it wrong initially but are making up for it now.

Personally, I think IAD-TLV would be a good flight too - lots of connections to the southeast and plenty of people who want to avoid EWR, not to mention all the government traffic that would result.
am1108 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JVPhoto

I’m going to venture a guess that Kacee was asking for actual hard data vs. what is just people saying “trust me I know things” and the collective consciousness here that BKK = no $.

This is the Internet. If we didn't have a "trust me I know things" aspect, we might as well turn it off.

To make this on topic, even with my travel policy to use Star Alliance partners, there are already too many direct flights to other SA hubs in region. NRT/ICN/TPE/SIN give us plenty of connections, so I don't see the need for another SA hub for connecting. It would have to be all O&D, and thus far i haven't heard much demand in my near field for O&D to BKK. Still hoping for MNL - replace that strange flight to GUM.
jasondc and drewguy like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 18, 2018 at 1:46 pm Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
I will give my guess. Unless it is SFO-BKK, the other possible routes (SFO-MNL, SFO-SGN, SFO-KUL, LAX-MNL, LAX-SGN) will be at a few times per week frequency. SFO-BKK will be at the daily frequency if offered. LAX-SGN is more likely than SFO-SGN. I won't rule out LAX-MNL, either. All of these flights will have (close to) midnight departures.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, UA-MM, Hertz PC, HH, APEC ABTC
Originally Posted by Kmxu
All of these flights will have (close to) midnight departures.
I really like the current SFO-SIN timing. Late night out of SFO and morning into SIN. Much better than the old schedule where you arrived SIN at 1am. I travel to Asia for business 3-6 times a year. I will choose ICN, NRT, HND, KIX, TPE, HKG, SIN - depending upon my itinerary. I buy and open-jaw ticket and then I use Asian LCCs to hop around, and come back from another UA gateway. Adding BKK to the list would be very appealing.
jasondc and spartacusmcfly like this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Skywards, Qantas
With so many flights targeting the east coast, I’d love to see someone try Perth. I don’t think a B787 would work. It would have to be the new A350 or a long range version of the B772.
I just flew this from IAD via AUH in J on Etihad. Virtually direct (two hour stopover in AUH) with far better service than I've ever received on United and a business class lounge in AUH most UA flyers would not believe.

Ironically it was $2k cheaper than a UA/Qantas or UA/Virgin connection that took hours longer.

This is why the ME3 are scaring the US3. If I were going to BKK I would take the same route. I've been there on UA (via Narita) and it was not a pleasant flight at all- even in Global First.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:23 pm

If you still have to go to Perth many times in the future, be ready to change airlines, unfortunately. Etihad is dropping all service to Perth come October. Of course, you'll still have Emirates and Qatar from which to choose, who can also fly you to Perth from Dulles via the ME.

I've flown the Etihad flight IAD - AUH flight many times (lived in AUH for awhile) in both F and J. When it's good it's really good, but when it's mediocre, it's mediocre, and that happens far too often. that said, the 787-9 is a beautiful plane and excellent, from a hard product perspective, in both F and J.

Originally Posted by cairns
I just flew this from IAD via AUH in J on Etihad. Virtually direct (two hour stopover in AUH) with far better service than I've ever received on United and a business class lounge in AUH most UA flyers would not believe.

Ironically it was $2k cheaper than a UA/Qantas or UA/Virgin connection that took hours longer.

This is why the ME3 are scaring the US3. If I were going to BKK I would take the same route. I've been there on UA (via Narita) and it was not a pleasant flight at all- even in Global First.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:56 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
No inside info/rumors here, but my guess is the logic of whatever new markets come online is to serve them non-stop from a hub.

Do not think we'll see the return of HKG > [xxx] or NRT > [xxx] tag flights.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by 5khours
IMHO, UA has an increasingly difficult time competing on the TPAC routes and has been decreasing capacity steadily in a rapidly expanding market. I am a skeptic with regard to their long term ability to compete on the TPAC routes given their much higher costs and much lower quality product and service.
I believe United cancelling Xian was a function of China launching the high-speed rail line between Chengdu and Xian (only 3 hours 15 minutes). I think they've been steadily adding capacity to APAC. Also remember, UA knows how to handle lower volume APAC routes. Look at SFO-TPE. SFO-BKK would be a fantastic route -- especially with TG's extensive route network from BKK. Finally, don't underestimate how many folks take the SFO-SIN flight as a connection to India. All those folks would now use SFO-BKK as it avoids overshooting India by a few hours. TG is quite good to India so will be a powerful draw...
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by UAflyer93
United needs to get a little creative. I don’t think that even they realized how wildly successful SFO-SIN would be. And I think SFO-BOM or SFO-DEL could prove just as popular.

While there are already many ways to get to India from the Bay Area right now, they are still a slog. I know so many people in Silicon Valley who fly paid J to India several times a year for work.

Most people on corporate contracts will end up flying LH via FRA which is a pain or on UA via EWR (also a pain). Sometimes, when that flight is full, we’ll do Swiss which has a terrible 7 hour connection on the way back.

You are absolutely correct! I'm a huge fan of SFO-BKK, but the really smart move for United would be SFO-BOM or SFO-DEL. The demand would be off the charts.

The SFO-DEL AI flight is apparently doing very well, but I haven’t met a single person from the Bay Area who has flown it. It seems to be more popular with India-based flyers visiting the Bay Area. Moreover, while the ME3 are popular with Indian flyers coming to the west coast (especially those flying Y or F), I know very few SF-based paid J travelers who would consider them because of their poor mileage earnings compared to MileagePlus. (One trip to India in J usually means 40k PQM and 40,000+ award miles for a 1K.)

Its really time that United consider a SFO to India flight. It would save a lot of time and I’m sure they could time it well to maximize sleep (similar to their Singapore flights). Also, I’d take a 787 any day over the terribly outdated 777-200 CO and 757-200 you get when flying through Newark.
If AC can sustain flights to India from both Vancouver and Toronto, UA should be able too.
You are absolutely correct! I'm a huge fan of SFO-BKK, but the really smart move for United would be SFO-BOM or SFO-DEL. The demand would be off the charts.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
if something does come up, I would expect BOM/DEL over any other APAC route.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by CALMSP
if something does come up, I would expect BOM/DEL over any other APAC route.
Any reason not BLR? There is significant tech business demand SFO<->BLR, but I'm less sure about BOM/DEL. Is the 787-9 capable of all of these routes? At least cargo demand is probably much lower than most of the other TPAC routes.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by east_west
Any reason not BLR? There is significant tech business demand SFO<->BLR, but I'm less sure about BOM/DEL. Is the 787-9 capable of all of these routes? At least cargo demand is probably much lower than most of the other TPAC routes.
I would love to see SFO-BLR (even EWR-BLR). And it's a shorter distance than LAX-SIN. However the direct route passes over the Himalayas which could affect range. Also IIRC the India routes are covered by the Lufthansa JV, so LH may well have a say as it could affect feed for its FRA-BLR/India services.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by east_west
BLR would be great, I wonder though if it would be EWR more so than SFO, but who knows. The tech industry is driven on the Bay Area. I'd be shocked of a new EMEAI station not beginning from EWR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.