Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New UA Destinations coming soon Rumors

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:22 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
Have not heard anything but it is not likely anything out of HKG to resurface as HKG-BKK was ended awhile ago and HKG-SGN ended not too long ago. OTOH SFO-BKK, SFO-SGN, SFO-KUL seem plausible. Stay tuned ?
Was there a HKG-BKK route? I remember flying NRT-BKK, and I think that was UA's only BKK route. I will be interested to see if they offer a BKK service again, as I believe they made a mistake abandoning BKK.
narvik likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:26 am

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
I feel like SFO BKK or LAX HKG would make the most sense from a UA route network perspective.
I would be interested in a LAX-HKG route.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:32 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
But they wouldn't be competing with anyone on a nonstop from the US -> BKK/SGN/KUL.
Only from LAX/SFO. The other 90% of the country is 1 stop at minimum - no better than flying some other airline.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I was really hoping for TXL-RSW in an all-J setup. Guess I'll be disappointed.
riphamilton likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:46 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
LAX-TLV to compete with LY, please. Yes, TLV is in Asia.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:50 am

Programs: UA GS, 1MM
Originally Posted by JHake10
I'd love SFO-BKK/SGN. However, is there enough business demand there? If its mostly a leisure route I don't see UA launching this, especially when SFO-BKK RT is ~600 these days. Based on the distance, I'm also assuming this would be a 787 route. Either way, I'm hoping for it!

I wonder how TG or VN would react to this. SQ quickly scheduled its own competing flight.
I fly EWR-BKK every six weeks on business. When UA ran 837/838 between NRT and BKK there was always 5 or 10 GS going on business. That's just an anecdote, but I do know there is business demand since I am part of it and know many others who are as well. Hopefully the total demand is enough.

TG is a shambles and they don't have an efficient plane for the route. I doubt they'd react. Not sure about VN.

Anyway, please let it be SFO-BKK!
tuolumne, goodeats21 and JHake10 like this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Acastus
TG is a shambles and they don't have an efficient plane for the route. I doubt they'd react. Not sure about VN.
TG has said they plan to return to the US market, and with the 359 they now have an aircraft that can do it, but they are indeed a mess.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:54 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Whichever route(s) UA plans to start, it is important to focus on front cabin loads not the leisure traffic and upgraders' preference ( I have been one of them).
As other posters hae indicated, the economy fare is dirt cheap at the moment, and the focus has to be in the business cabin.
BNE-IAH would probably be popular with the oil/mining companies that have aa significant presence in both QLD and TX (BHP Billiton etc) - currently NZ is mostly hoovering up that traffic with BNE-AKL-IAH (though UA has BNE-SYD-IAH partnering with QF, which makes for an interesting itinerary getting Oneworld status on a Star Alliance ticket)
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by drewguy
Why would UA fly xxx-KUL when it already flies LAX/SFO-SIN?
Because many other airlines are able to successfully serve both KUL and SIN.

Just like some airlines are able to successfully serve multiple airports that are even closer together - say SFO/OAK/SJC, for example
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:18 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Whichever route(s) UA plans to start, it is important to focus on front cabin loads not the leisure traffic and upgraders' preference ( I have been one of them).
As other posters hae indicated, the economy fare is dirt cheap at the moment, and the focus has to be in the business cabin.

I fly to BKK, SGN and KUL often for business, and I have my doubts about sustaining daily flight there when the home country airlines are challenged to make the routes profitable with lower cost structure.

On LAX-HKG, one of my all time favorite routes in the UA network in the past 25 years of flying to Asia, it is probably a long shot and I have witnessed it first hand that UA had lost so much money on this route in the early 2000s and then later in the decade when it restarted briefly, and then had to cancel. Simply put it, UA cannot compete on LAX-HKG, and we all just have to accept it is not going to come back in the near term.
Why can AA make it work (LAX-HKG) and UA can not? UA has been in HKG for a long time, seems that would be an advantage over AA, which is new to HKG
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:54 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Taipei
Why can AA make it work (LAX-HKG) and UA can not? UA has been in HKG for a long time, seems that would be an advantage over AA, which is new to HKG

HKG is also a hub for CX, so some connecting feed there as well given AA is part of OW.

Wasn’t the original rumor some months ago that there would be a new route out of LAX, not SFO?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:04 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Gold
How about SFO-MNL? I am always amazed at the number of people that I see on my US->NRT flights that continue on to MNL on ANA.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:17 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Hearing it could be SGN.
LASUA1K likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by EWR764
Hearing it could be SGN.
Any idea if ex-SFO or LAX? Either look doable with a 789.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
The only plane that can fly SFO to either BKK or SGN without weight restrictions is the A350 ULR. VN has them on order. Neither TG nor UA has them order. Betting is on TG to SEA and VN to LAX. My guess for UA would probably be SGN.

I fly to both BKK and SGN a lot from a lot of airports and on a lot of airlines including JL, NH, VN, SQ, CX, and BR. Front of the plane is often sold out except maybe Wednesdays and Saturdays. There's plenty or premium traffic on these routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.