Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New UA Destinations coming soon Rumors

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2018, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
The original cities discussed on this thread (BKK, SGN, MNL, DEL, BOM, BLR) all seem like a better use of an ULH frame from SFO.
The yeilds in all 6 of those markets are pretty trashy. With the long (expensive) flights from SFO those places it makes a lot more sense for UAL to connect those passengers.

I'm surprised by the talk about BKK, traditionally a pretty poor market from a RASK standpoint. Yeilds to TLV on the other hand are pretty good.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by CDSEA
The yeilds in all 6 of those markets are pretty trashy. With the long (expensive) flights from SFO those places it makes a lot more sense for UAL to connect those passengers.

I'm surprised by the talk about BKK, traditionally a pretty poor market from a RASK standpoint. Yeilds to TLV on the other hand are pretty good.
Wonder how a SFO-GRU/SCL/EZE would look from a yield standpoint.

Would have figured SFO-DEL or BOM would be an easy one but I guess with 2x Air India SFO-DEL and biz fares only in the $3k roundtrip range it's a tough one right now.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Wonder how a SFO-GRU/SCL/EZE would look from a yield standpoint.

Would have figured SFO-DEL or BOM would be an easy one but I guess with 2x Air India SFO-DEL and biz fares only in the $3k roundtrip range it's a tough one right now.
My guess is that Air India doesn't make money on those flights. They're state run so it's kinda moot. Since the Gulf Carriers have grown USA-India has become very low yeilding. The business traffic for UA likley goes over FRA or Zurich.

GRU to the West Coast is really only served by AA out of LAX and I think it's only 5X a week. LATAM does LIM 2X daily from LAX and SCL 3 or 4X a week. UA probably prefers to flow that traffic over IAH but the yeilds are at least higher.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

The original cities discussed on this thread (BKK, SGN, MNL, DEL, BOM, BLR) all seem like a better use of an ULH frame from SFO.
From a “where do mass amounts of people want to fly and visit” certainly, versus say CTU. But CTU probably has a corporate booking (in C) preference to it so it gets chosen. BLR would be a tech shuttle though. Does anything UA have capable of that distance?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by CDSEA
The yields in all 6 of those markets are pretty trashy. With the long (expensive) flights from SFO those places it makes a lot more sense for UAL to connect those passengers...I'm surprised by the talk about BKK, traditionally a pretty poor market from a RASK standpoint.
RASK (Revenue Per Available Seat Kilometer) isn's a good way to look at the India or Thailand markets for a variety of reasons. What's more important is can you sell enough C seats. United provided a glimpse into that metric by upgrading the EWR-BOM flight to a 77W -- so there is increasing demand in C.

It's a shame United doesn't attack markets with weak competitors. Air India and Thai are in fiscal shambles. Why attack Cathay, Singapore and the well funded Chinese carriers by chasing CAN, HGX, SZX, XIY -- that to, without the Polaris product in the 78x fleet. To UA's credit, I think they've done a good job eating El Al's lunch with their huge expansion into TLV. I think they can do the same in India and Thailand.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
RASK (Revenue Per Available Seat Kilometer) isn's a good way to look at the India or Thailand markets for a variety of reasons. What's more important is can you sell enough C seats. United provided a glimpse into that metric by upgrading the EWR-BOM flight to a 77W -- so there is increasing demand in C.

It's a shame United doesn't attack markets with weak competitors. Air India and Thai are in fiscal shambles. Why attack Cathay, Singapore and the well funded Chinese carriers by chasing CAN, HGX, SZX, XIY -- that to, without the Polaris product in the 78x fleet. To UA's credit, I think they've done a good job eating El Al's lunch with their huge expansion into TLV. I think they can do the same in India and Thailand.
I think the business argument for launching SFO-India makes a lot more sense than SFO-BKK. That said, I imagine that EK's coverage of DXB-secondary Indian cities is far more appealing (if you have to connect) vs. SFO-DEL/BOM and connect to Air India there.

Assuming IAD-TLV does well, ORD-TLV does seem to be a logical route to launch next. If anything, it seems like the higher-profile international route launches (e.g. LAX-SIN, SFO-MUC/ZRH, IAH-SYD) seem to be on routes where UA is focused on strengthening coverage to existing locations. It feels like the 'new' destinations (e.g. PPT, KEF, OPO) are flyers being taken on seasonal routes that can be dropped easily enough if they do not perform. I'm honestly not sure how UA plans on making any money on EWR-KEF given how low Icelandair and WOW fares are...
Old Aug 5, 2018, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I think the business argument for launching SFO-India makes a lot more sense than SFO-BKK. That said, I imagine that EK's coverage of DXB-secondary Indian cities is far more appealing (if you have to connect) vs. SFO-DEL/BOM and connect to Air India there.
True, but the same EK dynamic exists out of EWR and UA is thriving. Only difference is Polaris out of EWR vs non-Polaris 789s from SFO.

Assuming IAD-TLV does well, ORD-TLV does seem to be a logical route to launch next.
How much water can you squeeze out of the TLV rock? Probably enough meetings between CIA and Mossad alone to justify IAD route, but ultimately Tel Aviv has the same population as Brooklyn...

It feels like the 'new' destinations (e.g. PPT, KEF, OPO) are flyers being taken on seasonal routes that can be dropped easily enough if they do not perform. I'm honestly not sure how UA plans on making any money on EWR-KEF given how low Icelandair and WOW fares are...
I'm hoping PPT makes it. I think there's good demand from west coast for PPT. I agree with you on KEF. Barring a WOW bankruptcy, I don't see how that route makes it.

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Does anything UA have capable of that distance?
I believe:

- 77W can go SFO-DEL & SFO- BKK
- Would need a 789 to go SFO-BOM or SFO-BLR
uastarflyer and mrt88 like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 5, 2018 at 3:40 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 5, 2018, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have always wondered about Wuhan in China. Isn't it supposed to be a big industrial center?

West Coast - Latin America might be good for some Asian/Oceania connections?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:41 pm

I'm hoping PPT makes it. I think there's good demand from west coast for PPT. I agree with you on KEF. Barring a WOW bankruptcy, I don't see how that route makes it.
To be fair, DL has flown JFK-KEF for a while (I think), so maybe there is a way to make it work. But I have to imagine that UA can make quite a bit more money using that sCO 752 on a p.s. TCON route. IMO, it might be an ideal route for a 737 MAX 9/10 once there are enough of those in-house...

How much water can you squeeze out of the TLV rock? Probably enough meetings between CIA and Mossad alone to justify IAD route, but ultimately Tel Aviv has the same population as Brooklyn...
Not sure that is the right analogy...I have never been to Israel, but isn't TLV basically the international gateway for the entire country, not just Tel Aviv itself?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by username
I have always wondered about Wuhan in China. Isn't it supposed to be a big industrial center?

West Coast - Latin America might be good for some Asian/Oceania connections?
Wuhan is a fairly large industrial center. However, China Southern already serves it via SFO; not sure UA would want to double capacity on what's likely an already thin route (CZ continues to CAN). There's currently no carriers via LAX, but LAX also has an overcapacity of mainland China service at the moment.

I find Latin America/South America more interesting; the *A connections options are terrible without detouring to IAH or taking Copa. Perhaps SFO-BOG would work to connect to the AV feed.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 7:35 pm

Not sure that is the right analogy...I have never been to Israel, but isn't TLV basically the international gateway for the entire country, not just Tel Aviv itself?
Yes, but it's just not a big country. Population = NYC population. Also, TLV not a practical connection to anywhere. Neighboring countries (Turkey, Gulf, Egypt) all have ample direct flights. In the old days, it was a connection point to India for TWA, but Gulf airlines have taken that business...
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:32 pm

Anyone know if the Fresno-Chicago flight has performed well? It was a new destination this year, but only for summer
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by jamesinclair
Anyone know if the Fresno-Chicago flight has performed well? It was a new destination this year, but only for summer
My understanding is the the FAT-ORD loads have been good but the front of the plane was filled nearly exclusively with upgraded frequent flyers. How the overall financial performance of the flight is evaluated will determine if it returns next summer.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by FATFlyer
My understanding is the the FAT-ORD loads have been good but the front of the plane was filled nearly exclusively with upgraded frequent flyers. How the overall financial performance of the flight is evaluated will determine if it returns next summer.
Maybe they put a CR2 on the route to get rid of the F ‘problem’?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by FATFlyer
Surely they expected that, FAT isnt an F market, the airport doesn't even have a basic shared lounge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.