Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes and Problems with Online Upgrade Process

Old Mar 27, 18, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K

I booked a flight to the west coast yesterday and the "Upgrade Your Flight" page was funky - yesterday they had nothing listed for the paid upgrade and the RPU/GPU page allowed me to select an upgrade instrument but there was no confirm and pay button. Today, the paid upgrade page is updated and has the button but the RPU/GPU page still is missing the confirm and pay button. Anyone else experiencing this problem.
Old Mar 27, 18, 9:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Not sure if anything's changed - I've had to call to take advantage of GG BUYUP before even when the website should have been showing me prices for a buyup. Since you're a 1K, maybe shoot them a call when you can and ask them to apply it for you? I just personally chalked this up to lovely old UA website issues, but maybe there's an underlying problem or trigger someone can point out.

Others don’t have the same experience I did that led me to believe that buyup and instrument supported upgrades are showing “online upgrade not available” at the same time for the same reason - thus probably best to ignore this answer.

Last edited by chermorg; Mar 27, 18 at 10:28 am Reason: update with others’ experience
Old Mar 27, 18, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriot, Hilton
i had to call in yesterday for 2 flights to upgrade with RPU. seems like a known problem with the agents
Old Mar 27, 18, 10:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by chermorg View Post
I've had to call to take advantage of GG BUYUP before even when the website should have been showing me prices for a buyup.
This has nothing to do with GGBUYUP. The OP is trying to upgrade with an instrument.
Old Mar 27, 18, 10:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
This has nothing to do with GGBUYUP. The OP is trying to upgrade with an instrument.
The issue is the “online upgrade not available”. The issue applies regardless of a cash upgrade or a miles upgrade or a RPU/GPU. I am virtually certain that the issue is not the RPU/GPU/miles+copay but the fact that “online upgrade not available” has been flagged on this for whatever reason - which means that it won’t allow any upgrade, including GG BUYUP.

They are related - as the symptoms are both indicative of the same behind the scenes problem. Calling UA usually results in an agent bypassing whatever caused the “online upgrade not avaliable” and using the R-space or F cabin space available for upgrade via whatever method is actually available.
Old Mar 27, 18, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS 75K; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
I am virtually certain that the issue is not the RPU/GPU/miles+copay but the fact that “online upgrade not available” has been flagged on this for whatever reason - which means that it won’t allow any upgrade, including GG BUYUP.
Those are completely different functionalities. There seem to be multiple website problems right now, likely due to ongoing "upgrades" by UA, but there would otherwise be no relation between these two functionalities.
Old Mar 27, 18, 10:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Those are completely different functionalities. There seem to be multiple website problems right now, likely due to ongoing "upgrades" by UA, but there would otherwise be no relation between these two functionalities.
From personal experience, the “miles+copay” function (which to my knowledge is the same as the RPU/GPU/instrument supported function) has always “disappeared” at the same time as the buyup offer. This is different from the fact that they’re both different classes (one requires R/PN space, the other requires a F fare filed to buyup to) - one may well show “not available” for buyup but show “waitlist available” for R space - but when one shows “online upgrade not available” it always has shown it for both for me - leading me to believe that the online upgrade not available is a symptom of the same backend issue which is unrelated to the upgrade screen.
Old Mar 27, 18, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS 75K; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist

From personal experience, the “miles+copay” function (which to my knowledge is the same as the RPU/GPU/instrument supported function) has always “disappeared” at the same time as the buyup offer.
That is not my experience at all. One frequently disappears while the other remains.
chermorg likes this.
Old Mar 27, 18, 10:56 am

It also seems the what’s the difference question mark where United confirms buy ups pay extra PQM IS GONE.

the checkout screen has a note that says miles based on original fare class now. This could save me a lot of money wasted on paid upgrades for double PQM. I did it almost every flight to make 1K last year and prob spent $5,000+. Obv also enjoyed being in First.
Just did one of the online upgrades....glitches out and had to call, ended up double charge, one will fall off, got the double PQM, but no miles on the buyup portion of cost.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 27, 18 at 2:46 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 27, 18, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA & AA Peeon, Hilton/Starwood Gold
Funny, I was just about to post here asking you all a question around this. I am flying on Thursday and am a usual DL flyer. But client purchased M-class fare and upgrade from GVA to US is 20k miles and $300 if there's space. EF shows J1 right now, so it may not happen, but wanted to try it out. The offer was open yesterday, but today the 'waitlist' option is gone. Should I just call? (PS: I'm only a Silver)
Old Mar 27, 18, 2:20 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Been having this issue for about a week or two now. Any word from UA IT on this? The phone reps didn't seem to know what that was about.
Old Mar 27, 18, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Yes—online upgrade page is wonky

This page is always acting up for me too and I often have to call in.

Originally Posted by uber1K_Flyer View Post
I booked a flight to the west coast yesterday and the "Upgrade Your Flight" page was funky - yesterday they had nothing listed for the paid upgrade and the RPU/GPU page allowed me to select an upgrade instrument but there was no confirm and pay button. Today, the paid upgrade page is updated and has the button but the RPU/GPU page still is missing the confirm and pay button. Anyone else experiencing this problem.

Last edited by tryathlete; Mar 27, 18 at 2:30 pm Reason: Accidental post
Old Mar 27, 18, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
I had this exact same issue that was solved by calling the 1K line. Did you make a change to itinerary by any chance? The agent was aware of the issue and said it happens when you're changing a leg of the trip
Old Mar 27, 18, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA GS; Hilton Lifetime Diamond; AMEX Plat; Hertz Pres
Had the same problem - Agent said she has had several calls with same issue.
Speaking of wonky - the time stamp on the posts in this forum seem to all be in the future - looks like UTC not local time, which is what is usually displayed.
Old Mar 27, 18, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA 1k
I called in a few days ago too, so weird that the button disappears

Search this Thread
Search Engine: