Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes and Problems with Online Upgrade Process

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes and Problems with Online Upgrade Process

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BeeeJay
It also seems the what’s the difference question mark where United confirms buy ups pay extra PQM IS GONE.

the checkout screen has a note that says miles based on original fare class now. This could save me a lot of money wasted on paid upgrades for double PQM. I did it almost every flight to make 1K last year and prob spent $5,000+. Obv also enjoyed being in First.
Just did one of the online upgrades....glitches out and had to call, ended up double charge, one will fall off, got the double PQM, but no miles on the buyup portion of cost.
huh — interesting... I just last week, for the first time ever, bought up to an A fare for my IAD-DEN flight. Flight credited at 1.5 PQS and 2xPQM, but the PQD and mileage earned seemed low to me, based on the additional upgrade cost. I’ll have to dig a bit more carefully...

Old Mar 29, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Same here

I just went searching for this thread to see if I was the only frustrated one. Same issue - I can get to the apply 1 GPU click after which the landing page is missing. It isn't possible to continue to pay and select seats....CCC/W above, there is no R availability, so it is a waitlisted upgrade.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
As others mentioned above, I have had this issue also (no way to click on Continue). Had to call in to 1K desk to get it applied manually.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 2:30 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
I believe this may be related to the GPU/RPU disappearing from the homepage, as the GPU/RPU search option seems to be gone as well.

Has anyone tried clearing their cache/cookies and/or trying in an incognito browser?
Old Mar 29, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Yup, same issue yesterday. Had to call.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
I have the exact opposite issue. No paid upgrades available - which is weird since UA always likes money! The flight that I am looking to upgrade is F9
Old Mar 29, 2018, 3:02 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
I'm having this problem too. Came here to see if anybody else was frustrated... glad to see you are!

And, just to be clear about everything... this does not appear to be a problem with availability or anything. It seems to be just a website bug -- the "Purchase" button has disappeared. I'm trying to waitlist an instrument, and everything works fine except there is no "Continue" or "Purchase" button. Like they made a car but forgot to add a place to stick the key in and start it! (Yes, I know all new cars are pushbutton these days... bear with me... grump, grump, kids these days...)
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Something strange I noticed a few days ago too... For each of my reservations booked through a TA (corporate travel or OTA), under the "Redeem Awards to Upgrade" tab there is the option to upgrade using miles or a cert, but on the "Purchase Upgrade" tab, the selection is greyed out and marked "Not Available". For my one reservation booked directly through UA, both options are still available. I had always been able to buy-up to first via this upgrade tab on the website- even for TA-issued tickets. Wonder if this has gone away?
Old Mar 30, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
I noticed the same problem with online upgrades a few weeks back. My issue was that it wouldn't show the buy-up upgrade for all segments. However, the United app on my iPhone did show the buy-up upgrade option. Something is very quirky with the upgrade page.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K
This issue has been resolved.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 12:34 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by uber1K_Flyer
This issue has been resolved.
Are you sure? Under Manage Reservations when I click the blue "Upgrade Flight" button I'm still going to the 2nd tab "Redeem Awards to Upgrade" whereas in the past I'd always go to the 1st tab "Purchase Upgrade" where they're always be an offer as long as there was more than one First Class seat available -- this new behavior has been in place for approx one month. I would note that only once in the past 4 months have I seen a single seat available on the "Redeem Awards to Upgrade" tab and that availability only lasted two days!
Old Mar 31, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I'm just trying to figure out if there is a pattern here... Can anyone else confirm if they are able to use the "Purchase Upgrade" tab to buy-up to first on a ticket not purchased directly from United (corp TA or OTA)? The one ticket I purchased from UA has both options and seems normal, all non-UA purchased trips only have the "Redeem Awards to Upgrade" as an option (and even though waitlisted, the ability to use miles or a cert). At least a few weeks ago, if there were seats available in first, "Purchase Upgrade" was always an option on all itineraries. I am wondering if the only way to buy-up for non-UA issued tickets now is to call in?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by reLAXation
I'm just trying to figure out if there is a pattern here... Can anyone else confirm if they are able to use the "Purchase Upgrade" tab to buy-up to first on a ticket not purchased directly from United (corp TA or OTA)?
reLAX, I purchased my ticket directly from .bomb and am NOT able to purchase an upgrade. Still experiencing the issue. Ugh.

SAP
Old Apr 11, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by reLAXation
I'm just trying to figure out if there is a pattern here... Can anyone else confirm if they are able to use the "Purchase Upgrade" tab to buy-up to first on a ticket not purchased directly from United (corp TA or OTA)? The one ticket I purchased from UA has both options and seems normal, all non-UA purchased trips only have the "Redeem Awards to Upgrade" as an option (and even though waitlisted, the ability to use miles or a cert). At least a few weeks ago, if there were seats available in first, "Purchase Upgrade" was always an option on all itineraries. I am wondering if the only way to buy-up for non-UA issued tickets now is to call in?
Purchased my ticket yesterdauy via corporate Concur and am able to see Upgrade Reservation Tab with both options (purchase / miles / Certificate). Used certificate on one.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Available upgrade space for miles but not $$

Flying ORD-DEN-ORD on United booked into W bucket.. Work does the booking (always coach) but I noticed on scouting the trip that discount first was not much more.. Usually this means I can buy up for ~90 once the trip tickets..

This time I go to upgrade and I can clear straight in with miles but buy up shows "Not available"... I have never seen this before.. Any ideas?
(Yes.. will probably come down to having to call)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.