Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes and Problems with Online Upgrade Process

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes and Problems with Online Upgrade Process

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2018, 12:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Try the change flight and see the prices --- then call to get the GG BUYUP change fee waiver.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 12:45 pm

I've noticed the same thing for my reservations the last couple weeks and have seen others post about the same issue in the last month. I think UA's engine broke for online cash upgrades related to concur/agent booked reservations recently. Had to call in to upgrade via $
Old Apr 13, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Thanks!
Just called and no problems at all.. (FC on that route is super cheap.. only cost 160 in total to upgrade both ways from W)

Last edited by cyclogenesis; Apr 13, 2018 at 1:38 pm
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:32 am

Anyone else still having problems like this? I see it on 2 of my reservations. Cant use my upgrades.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:53 am

Programs: UA 1K
I've got an issue with reedeming my GPU that might be related to this one.

UA is showing me all the upgrade options and I can select GPU option on upgrade screen. However there is no button to confirm the upgrade.

Neither on UA website, nor mobile site or UA app (didn't find the option there). Am I doing something wrong?

This is what it looks like:

Even at the bottom of the website there's no confirmation button. If I would upgrade for $9.000 though, there is one.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 5:52 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by delpiero223

UA is showing me all the upgrade options and I can select GPU option on upgrade screen. However there is no button to confirm the upgrade.

Neither on UA website, nor mobile site or UA app (didn't find the option there). Am I doing something wrong?

Even at the bottom of the website there's no confirmation button. If I would upgrade for $9.000 though, there is one.
There are too many segments on your reservation. Call 1K line to upgrade. It may take a long time on phone to get it done.
Good luck.
delpiero223 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by delpiero223

Are you on a W fare (or higher)? A lower fare class that is ineligible for GPU will make it behave this way.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by wxguy
Are you on a W fare (or higher)? A lower fare class that is ineligible for GPU will make it behave this way.
Yes, I purchased W.

Got it applied by phone within 10 minutes though. First I was told, I would need 2 GPUs to upgrade ZRH-IAD-SCL, even if connection was only 2 hour each. However she was able to figure it out somehow.

Thanks for the answers
Old Sep 4, 2019, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

too many segments to upgrade online?

Originally Posted by Kmxu

There are too many segments on your reservation. Call 1K line to upgrade. It may take a long time on phone to get it done.
Good luck.
What counts as too many segments to apply an upgrade instrument online? In the past I have not had trouble with upgrading three or maybe more.

However now my reservations with three segments will not let me upgrade. They fail differently from each other but consistently each time I try. Both look a bit weird.

Is this intentional or a bug? Anyway, guess I will have to call.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 4:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I just ran into the "no upgrade available" error attempting to apply RPUs to LAX-EWR. Website would not let me apply them to the reservation. Had to call. And then the agent's computer insisted that he ask me all of my security questions. To apply my RPUs to a ticket in my name. Really high risk of fraud in that transaction

Agent suggested I contact web support to report the error. I responded that UA is well aware of it, it's been going on for months, their IT people are too busy writing code to further devalue MP to fix the website. Then I had to apologize for venting at him
narvik, leoo and demkr like this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
And then the agent's computer insisted that he ask me all of my security questions. To apply my RPUs to a ticket in my name. Really high risk of fraud in that transaction
Ridiculous!
Slightly OT, but I have only ever been asked my birthdate as the security question for calls made in 2019.
Luckily. ^
Old Sep 7, 2019, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, Delta Silver, Hilton Gold
Also ran into the missing button "Continue to Payment" yesterday applying GPUs.
Outbound with 3 segments and return with 4.

Contacted Twitter support and had to receive a call from the Reservations team to answer security questions and apply the GPUs.

Then I asked the agent on Twitter if there was a specific reason or if this was a bug and was told:
"That could be a glitch on the website and we apologize for the inconvenience caused..."
Old Sep 8, 2019, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
I just ran into the "no upgrade available" error attempting to apply RPUs to LAX-EWR. Website would not let me apply them to the reservation. Had to call. And then the agent's computer insisted that he ask me all of my security questions. To apply my RPUs to a ticket in my name. Really high risk of fraud in that transaction

Agent suggested I contact web support to report the error. I responded that UA is well aware of it, it's been going on for months, their IT people are too busy writing code to further devalue MP to fix the website. Then I had to apologize for venting at him
I think you're referring to the problem in which sometimes the RPU/GPU radio button says you have no certificates left even though you do? And at the top it shows only mileage balance, no RPU/GPU balance?

If that's it: I found that going back to the reservation list, opening another reservation, going to the upgrade tab to display the instrument upgrade offer, and then going back to the first reservation will bring back the instruments and allow you to apply one. Really obvious.

Or maybe that's an entirely different problem.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fumje
I think you're referring to the problem in which sometimes the RPU/GPU radio button says you have no certificates left even though you do? And at the top it shows only mileage balance, no RPU/GPU balance?
Different problem. This one let me check RPU/GPU box but said "no upgrades available" and "Continue" button was grayed out. I tried coming at it from several different directions.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 4:30 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Delta SkyMiles
I'm booked in R SFO-AKL, I went on the UA website to apply a GPU, but computer says:
You do not have enough Regional Premier Upgrades or Global Premier Upgrades to upgrade this part of your trip.
Seems odd, since I in fact have 4 GPU's.

Anyone else come across this? First time flying in R, everything I read says you can upgrade from R to Polaris with a GPU... not anymore?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.