Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Premier benefits on AC operated flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Premier benefits on AC operated flights

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:43 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Another data point. I have an AC flight (codeshared with UA) on 016 ticket and my seat has been allocated for me in a preferred seat but if I try to change it I am told I need to pay. Have left the seat alone. YVR-SFO.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Just to clarify that point. During OLCI you can select a standard seat for free but anytime before check in you'll have to pay for seat selection (unless you're on a Flex fare or better or are Super Elite with Air Canada).

James
FYI, anyone traveling with a child under 12 can select a seat for free on AC, even on a standard (or presumably basic) fare. It will charge on the website, but if you call, an agent can assign them for free. Had no idea until I used this a couple of weeks ago.

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Another data point. I have an AC flight (codeshared with UA) on 016 ticket and my seat has been allocated for me in a preferred seat but if I try to change it I am told I need to pay. Have left the seat alone. YVR-SFO.
everytine I book on AC via UA, it assigns me a seat, but pretty much always back row (ie, opposite of preferred). Even when I was *G.

Last tiem I asked at the airport if there were any seats closer to the front for *G, I was told (at check in) to ask at the gate. I didn’t bother, so getting a seat toward the front may be a YMMV seat.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just to clarify that point. During OLCI you can select a standard seat for free but anytime before check in you'll have to pay for seat selection (unless you're on a Flex fare or better or are Super Elite with Air Canada). I'm waiting for the day that AC actually charges to select a seat at check in forcing me to skip seat selection during check in and play the seat lottery at the gate!

Safe Travels,

James
Yes, this is correct - and for the record, provided a Preferred Seat is available, I am batting 1.000 on getting a lounge agent to assign it to me - at the check-in counter I am also about .900, but in some cases I needed to counsel the agent or escalate to a supervisor. When I was refused, I just rushed to the MLL and had that P-seat assigned there.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 4:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Yes, this is correct - and for the record, provided a Preferred Seat is available, I am batting 1.000 on getting a lounge agent to assign it to me - at the check-in counter I am also about .900, but in some cases I needed to counsel the agent or escalate to a supervisor. When I was refused, I just rushed to the MLL and had that P-seat assigned there.
you were lucky a gate dragon helped you out.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
that's normal. You might be able to change it at OLCI
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
I will add as *G you do get the occasional op-up, not a published benefit, but I have had it at least five times in the past few years!!
Old Jul 26, 2018, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks to all for the useful replies, but in particular...

Doesn't matter what airline program you use to book award flights with *A airlines the process is always the same, call the airline or go to manage reservations for the award ticket and update the frequent flyer number to your United one. The moment you do that you'll get access to all your *A Gold benefits. I've done this for LX, MS, AC and UA flights issued by Aeroplan as a UA Gold elite. In the case of AC I believe you have to call them update to do it (can't be changed online) but have done it before, literally takes a minute.

Alternatively, you can use the priority lane to check in, presenting your United card and telling them to update your FF card (can also be done at lounge) although doing it online or over the phone is by far the easiest. As others have noted, you won't get AC specific benefits like preferred seating since you're a UA elite, but you wouldn't get that anyways unless you're an elite with AC.

If travelling to/from Canada you'll have *A lounge (including all UC) the whole way, even if you're on a UA domestic leg like LAX -> SFO since the whole itinerary is marked as International.

Hope that helps.

Safe Travels,

James
Extremely helpful, James, Thanks very much !

Originally Posted by mr8
I'm not very familiar with SQ miles, but if they let you book award tickets for other people (like UA), then you should be able to book it for yourself as another person with your UA MP number attached.
Good idea. Thanks!

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Just an added data point - not only will you not receive free access to preferred seats, but you will not have free access to standard seats either. *G or not, everyone must pay for any AC seat at this point.
Hadn't known this, so thanks so much for the info. Wow, this makes the U.S. carriers look good in comparison. I think I'll need to fly AC to some extent on this trip, but for the flights where I have a choice I'll go with UA.

Just to clarify that point. During OLCI you can select a standard seat for free but anytime before check in you'll have to pay for seat selection (unless you're on a Flex fare or better or are Super Elite with Air Canada). I'm waiting for the day that AC actually charges to select a seat at check in forcing me to skip seat selection during check in and play the seat lottery at the gate!

Safe Travels,

James
Thanks again.

Last edited by Thunderroad; Jul 27, 2018 at 12:38 pm
Old Aug 25, 2018, 5:56 am

Programs: UA, WN
Hi everyone,

Sorry if anyone has asked this already before. I'm looking to buy a flight from the US to India, and I was wondering if I booked the flight as a United flight on Air Canada/Lufthansa metal, would I be able to select seats in Economy Plus (or their equivalent) in advance, or am I treated as if I have no status (I have Gold on United right now).
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by avishwanath28
Hi everyone,

Sorry if anyone has asked this already before. I'm looking to buy a flight from the US to India, and I was wondering if I booked the flight as a United flight on Air Canada/Lufthansa metal, would I be able to select seats in Economy Plus (or their equivalent) in advance, or am I treated as if I have no status (I have Gold on United right now).
Nope! Your Star Alliance Gold (via UA Gold) status only confers lounge, baggage, and boarding group benefits. Better than no status, but nothing for seating. (Besides which, although there are some preferred seats there isn't quite an equivalent for E+ on AC or LH.)
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by avishwanath28
Hi everyone,

Originally Posted by fumje
Nope! Your Star Alliance Gold (via UA Gold) status only confers lounge, baggage, and boarding group benefits. Better than no status, but nothing for seating. (Besides which, although there are some preferred seats there isn't quite an equivalent for E+ on AC or LH.)
It's complicated! If you book those flights direct with AC and LH the answer is a clear no even if you're GS with UA!

However, IME booking UA codeshares sometimes you can get the AC agent to give you a seat selection. The line I usually use is, "I'm a United Gold, and am flying United to XYZ. It says the flight is operated by you and that seat selections must go through you guys. Here's the seat I want, can you select that for me. Thanks, bye!". If I get pushback I'll ask for a supervisor and/or loop in the Premier Desk to get them to squeeze that seat selection out for me. However, it's far from guaranteed that any *A partner will honour your "paid" seat selection for free. It's for these reasons why I prefer to book with UA or with * partners that don't charge fees for seat selection **cough** NH **cough**

Safe Travels,

James
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
IME, at least this year, when booking AC flights on UA.com, as UA codeshares, Ive has seats selected for me for free, even on lowball fares that are almost 100% certainly equivalent to standard fares if booked through AC, and I beleive in both cases so far that was the same pricing as with AC. Now, for example, got row 12 on a CRJ when seats further forward that we’re available. Also IME this year, booking with Chase points on 016 stock on UA codeshare/AC flight didn’t get me a seat selection at all, and I had to call AC for it. When calling to get or change seats I never had an issue, though don’t know what would happen if traveling on my own as opposed to with a kid - on standard fares, at least, AC will give seat selection to those traveling with a child on fares that normally require a fee for it (and IMO, good on AC for this).
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:21 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by whitethunder
I will add as *G you do get the occasional op-up, not a published benefit, but I have had it at least five times in the past few years!!
Wife and I (both UA Plat) flew PHL-YYZ yesterday and were upgraded. Had booked through UA as a codeshare and had paid to move to seats with more legroom. Were upgraded to first at the gate.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 6:26 pm

United Gold luggage benefit on Air Canada flight

Am booking a flight on AC metal with united Gold. Ac is saying that the star alliance gold benefit is a "free second piece of luggage", ie $55 for the first and $0 for the second.
Tell me that isn't true. If it is, I hope united does the same thing to all Air canada elites.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
*A *G gets one free bag. If you’re checking only one bag, there will be no charge (as long as it meets weight and size restrictions).
Old Dec 15, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Surely they mean $0 for the first and $55 for the second?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.