FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA Premier benefits on AC operated flights (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1899260-ua-premier-benefits-ac-operated-flights.html)

DanGalender Oct 25, 2015 11:35 pm

UA Premier benefits on AC operated flights

I'll be flying from San Francisco to Montreal next week which means flying an Air Canada code share. As a Mileage Plus Lifetime Gold member I'm wondering if anyone here can suggest a way to get Air Canada's equivalent of an Economy Plus seat. If I book with UA, I don't have access to the seating plan and if I book with AC, they don't recognize my Gold status. I really don't want a middle seat. Is this a solvable problem?

Any suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks.

-Dan

WineCountryUA Oct 25, 2015 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by DanGalender (Post 25615963)
... As a Mileage Plus Lifetime Gold member I'm wondering if anyone here can suggest a way to get Air Canada's equivalent of an Economy Plus seat. ...

AC does not have an equivalent to E+.

There are some preferred seats but there is no access for UA elites (although a few have been successful asking at the gate).

bocastephen Oct 26, 2015 12:13 am

Originally Posted by DanGalender (Post 25615963)
I'll be flying from San Francisco to Montreal next week which means flying an Air Canada code share. As a Mileage Plus Lifetime Gold member I'm wondering if anyone here can suggest a way to get Air Canada's equivalent of an Economy Plus seat. If I book with UA, I don't have access to the seating plan and if I book with AC, they don't recognize my Gold status. I really don't want a middle seat. Is this a solvable problem?

Any suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks.

-Dan

As mentioned, there is no true E+, although the preferred seats on most aircraft have an extra inch or two of legroom. I am 100% getting preferred seats at the airport if any remain available, and as a *G, you are entitled to a preferred seat at check-in - however, this does not include exit row seats or bulkheads (ie 777) , only seats in the preferred seating area.

Just check-in with an agent at the *G/Elite check-in desk and ask for a new seat towards the front - the nomenclature I use is "do you have any seats for *G at further up?" I've had a couple YYZ agents say I needed to pay, but a quick reminder that *G does not (at check-in) or a request for a supervisor to clarify took care of it.

It's really nothing to be anxious about - AC service in the front of the cabin is just as bad and ornery as the service in the back.

Also take careful note of your departure gate - if you get lucky, you leave from the G gates and can use the UC or the SQ lounge if open, but if you get the A gates, you'll be sent to the AF lounge (unless it recently changed) which serves, at that hour, basically nothing.

restlessinRNO Oct 26, 2015 12:44 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 25616022)
... but if you get the A gates, you'll be sent to the AF lounge (unless it recently changed) which serves, at that hour, basically nothing.

The AF lounge does serve champagne, even in the morning. :)

aacharya Oct 26, 2015 3:44 am

I could not find the *G waiver on ACs site. I was 1 for 2 in asking at the gate...though the time I was denied it was a pretty full flight.

EnvoyBoy Oct 26, 2015 5:28 am

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO (Post 25616076)
The AF lounge does serve champagne, even in the morning. :)

While true, it 's not very good. The good stuff comes out later in the day when their own passengers show up. It's an interesting lounge, serving a number of airlines. The far back room tends to be cooler than the room behind the check-in desk.

bocastephen Oct 26, 2015 9:40 am

Originally Posted by aacharya (Post 25616370)
I could not find the *G waiver on ACs site. I was 1 for 2 in asking at the gate...though the time I was denied it was a pretty full flight.

Asking at the gate has always worked for me too - but it depends if any seats remain. I have Expert Flyer, so I can check the seat map for what I want to ask for specifically, before asking. Usually by the time you ask at the gate, it's too late.

cfischer Oct 26, 2015 9:43 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 25615981)
AC does not have an equivalent to E+.

There are some preferred seats but there is no access for UA elites (although a few have been successful asking at the gate).

I have been consistently given E+ seats when buying W-class or higher ... not sure if there is a correlation or not. Even an OPUP to J the other day from a K fare :eek:

Wpgjetse Oct 26, 2015 10:15 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 22140994)
With Star Alliance, booking a codeshare is almost always a bad idea. The only possible benefit is that it may be cheaper - everything else about it is worse.

I find it has great benefits booking a codeshare flight. It is also my first choice if my airline doesn't fly to my destination city or does not have direct flight. Why would you not do this? You get no benefits by booking a flight with no tie-ins to you main airline.

iflyuaaa Jan 6, 2017 11:44 pm

UA Premier benefits on AC operated flights

There will be 3 on our PNR two of us are 1k. LAX-YVR. Will we get any free checked bags?

Bruin1K Jan 6, 2017 11:45 pm

I'm traveling on AC in march and my research says yes you can have 3 but double check

eigenvector Jan 6, 2017 11:53 pm

3x70lb bags for all Star Alliance Gold members on Air Canada. Applies to each *G member but no one else on the PNR.

Bruin1K Jan 7, 2017 12:36 am

Originally Posted by eigenvector (Post 27718624)
3x70lb bags for all Star Alliance Gold members on Air Canada. Applies to each *G member but no one else on the PNR.

appreciate the eigenvaluable info

eigenvector Jan 7, 2017 3:14 am

Originally Posted by Bruin1K (Post 27718687)
appreciate the eigenvaluable info

:D

iflyuaaa Jan 7, 2017 4:11 am

thank you! and go bruins!