Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Premier benefits on AC operated flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Premier benefits on AC operated flights

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2015, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Lifetime Gold (>1Million Miler), Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hertz Presidents Club
Question UA Premier benefits on AC operated flights

I'll be flying from San Francisco to Montreal next week which means flying an Air Canada code share. As a Mileage Plus Lifetime Gold member I'm wondering if anyone here can suggest a way to get Air Canada's equivalent of an Economy Plus seat. If I book with UA, I don't have access to the seating plan and if I book with AC, they don't recognize my Gold status. I really don't want a middle seat. Is this a solvable problem?

Any suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks.

-Dan
Old Oct 25, 2015, 11:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DanGalender
... As a Mileage Plus Lifetime Gold member I'm wondering if anyone here can suggest a way to get Air Canada's equivalent of an Economy Plus seat. ...
AC does not have an equivalent to E+.

There are some preferred seats but there is no access for UA elites (although a few have been successful asking at the gate).
Old Oct 26, 2015, 12:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by DanGalender
I'll be flying from San Francisco to Montreal next week which means flying an Air Canada code share. As a Mileage Plus Lifetime Gold member I'm wondering if anyone here can suggest a way to get Air Canada's equivalent of an Economy Plus seat. If I book with UA, I don't have access to the seating plan and if I book with AC, they don't recognize my Gold status. I really don't want a middle seat. Is this a solvable problem?

Any suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks.

-Dan
As mentioned, there is no true E+, although the preferred seats on most aircraft have an extra inch or two of legroom. I am 100% getting preferred seats at the airport if any remain available, and as a *G, you are entitled to a preferred seat at check-in - however, this does not include exit row seats or bulkheads (ie 777) , only seats in the preferred seating area.

Just check-in with an agent at the *G/Elite check-in desk and ask for a new seat towards the front - the nomenclature I use is "do you have any seats for *G at further up?" I've had a couple YYZ agents say I needed to pay, but a quick reminder that *G does not (at check-in) or a request for a supervisor to clarify took care of it.

It's really nothing to be anxious about - AC service in the front of the cabin is just as bad and ornery as the service in the back.

Also take careful note of your departure gate - if you get lucky, you leave from the G gates and can use the UC or the SQ lounge if open, but if you get the A gates, you'll be sent to the AF lounge (unless it recently changed) which serves, at that hour, basically nothing.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 12:44 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by bocastephen
... but if you get the A gates, you'll be sent to the AF lounge (unless it recently changed) which serves, at that hour, basically nothing.
The AF lounge does serve champagne, even in the morning.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I could not find the *G waiver on ACs site. I was 1 for 2 in asking at the gate...though the time I was denied it was a pretty full flight.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 5:28 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
The AF lounge does serve champagne, even in the morning.
While true, it 's not very good. The good stuff comes out later in the day when their own passengers show up. It's an interesting lounge, serving a number of airlines. The far back room tends to be cooler than the room behind the check-in desk.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by aacharya
I could not find the *G waiver on ACs site. I was 1 for 2 in asking at the gate...though the time I was denied it was a pretty full flight.
Asking at the gate has always worked for me too - but it depends if any seats remain. I have Expert Flyer, so I can check the seat map for what I want to ask for specifically, before asking. Usually by the time you ask at the gate, it's too late.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
AC does not have an equivalent to E+.

There are some preferred seats but there is no access for UA elites (although a few have been successful asking at the gate).
I have been consistently given E+ seats when buying W-class or higher ... not sure if there is a correlation or not. Even an OPUP to J the other day from a K fare
Old Oct 26, 2015, 10:15 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
With Star Alliance, booking a codeshare is almost always a bad idea. The only possible benefit is that it may be cheaper - everything else about it is worse.
I find it has great benefits booking a codeshare flight. It is also my first choice if my airline doesn't fly to my destination city or does not have direct flight. Why would you not do this? You get no benefits by booking a flight with no tie-ins to you main airline.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:44 pm
Suspended

Question UA Premier benefits on AC operated flights

There will be 3 on our PNR two of us are 1k. LAX-YVR. Will we get any free checked bags?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
I'm traveling on AC in march and my research says yes you can have 3 but double check
Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
3x70lb bags for all Star Alliance Gold members on Air Canada. Applies to each *G member but no one else on the PNR.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 12:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by eigenvector
3x70lb bags for all Star Alliance Gold members on Air Canada. Applies to each *G member but no one else on the PNR.
appreciate the eigenvaluable info
Old Jan 7, 2017, 3:14 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Bruin1K
appreciate the eigenvaluable info
Old Jan 7, 2017, 4:11 am
Suspended

thank you! and go bruins!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.