Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Premier benefits on AC operated flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Premier benefits on AC operated flights

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
I was on 7615. I saw I had cleared the upgrade list on the app about an hour before scheduled departure, but the boarding pass never changed its seat number. (It still hasn't)

In any event, it was nice that they upgraded a UA*G.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 10:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
I was on 7615. I saw I had cleared the upgrade list on the app about an hour before scheduled departure, but the boarding pass never changed its seat number. (It still hasn't)

In any event, it was nice that they upgraded a UA*G.
Were you on the upgrade list prior to clearing, or did your name only show up once you'd been upgraded?

The AC app's BP won't update for cabin/seat changes made at the gate like that. It's unfortunate.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:00 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
My name showed up only when I cleared. Or rather, I didn't check until an hour before and was surprised to see I had cleared.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Does UA status get access to better seats, perks if on Air Canada?

Did a quick search and came up empty, so...

I'm Premier Platinum with UA, considering AC for an upcoming trip to Canada. I know that as a Star Alliance Gold I get certain perks for international trips, but am a bit unclear on seating perks (if any) or if others apply in North America. So, some questions for anyone who has AC experience:

1. Does my status get me complimentary access to AC preferred economy seats (the ones with a few inches more legroom - I assume roughly the equivalent of UA economy plus) on a revenue ticket?
2. If I use UA miles for an AC award ticket, will my UA status will get me access to preferred economy?
3. If I use Aeroplan miles or the miles from some other program for which I lack status, may I nevertheless use my UA status and thus get access?
4. Does any of this change if I book the AC metal flights as UA tickets?
5. As a Star Alliance Gold, do I have access to lounges if transiting through Canadian airports?
6. Does my status get me early boarding?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 24, 2018 at 1:24 pm Reason: merged into exisiting thread
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:59 pm

For 5 & 6 the answer is yes.

For 1-4 my experience has always been no prior to getting to the airport but it has been a while since I tried.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA/Premier 1K, Bonvoy/Titanium
1/2/3: No access to preferred seating, a friendly agent might grant access but YMMV. Have had some luck asking in the Lounge and at the Gate when flights are not full.
5: Yes to AC Maple Leaf Lounge access and other *A lounges, including on domestic.
6: Yes to early boarding as *G, typically Zone 2 via the priority lane

4: No impact on any of the above
Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:06 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
5. As a Star Alliance Gold, do I have access to lounges if transiting through Canadian airports?
As a *G you should have access to any Maple leaf lounge anywhere (US domestic included). You should also get UA Club access when flying to/from Canada since it would make it an international flight.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks for the quick and useful replies, folks. And thanks to the mod for moving my post to this informative thread.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question A few more questions...

Ok, a few more questions that I think fell between the gaps of my previous questions. I have some SQ miles to burn, but no status on SQ beyond basic membership. If I use them instead of UA miles to book award tix:

1. Does it kill my lounge access, by virtue of the AC itinerary record not having me as a *A Gold?
2. If so, what if I present my UA membership card at the lounge, since that includes *A Gold?
3. Is it possible to insert my UA # in the AC record to use my status to get early boarding, lounge access and (as noted in a few previous posts in this thread) an outside shot of an upgrade?

Thanks again for any help.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:06 pm

Ok, a few more questions that I think fell between the gaps of my previous questions. I have some SQ miles to burn, but no status on SQ beyond basic membership. If I use them instead of UA miles to book award tix:

1. Does it kill my lounge access, by virtue of the AC itinerary record not having me as a *A Gold?
2. If so, what if I present my UA membership card at the lounge, since that includes *A Gold?
3. Is it possible to insert my UA # in the AC record to use my status to get early boarding, lounge access and (as noted in a few previous posts in this thread) an outside shot of an upgrade?

Doesn't matter what airline program you use to book award flights with *A airlines the process is always the same, call the airline or go to manage reservations for the award ticket and update the frequent flyer number to your United one. The moment you do that you'll get access to all your *A Gold benefits. I've done this for LX, MS, AC and UA flights issued by Aeroplan as a UA Gold elite. In the case of AC I believe you have to call them update to do it (can't be changed online) but have done it before, literally takes a minute.

Alternatively, you can use the priority lane to check in, presenting your United card and telling them to update your FF card (can also be done at lounge) although doing it online or over the phone is by far the easiest. As others have noted, you won't get AC specific benefits like preferred seating since you're a UA elite, but you wouldn't get that anyways unless you're an elite with AC.

If travelling to/from Canada you'll have *A lounge (including all UC) the whole way, even if you're on a UA domestic leg like LAX -> SFO since the whole itinerary is marked as International.

Hope that helps.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:09 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold

I'm not very familiar with SQ miles, but if they let you book award tickets for other people (like UA), then you should be able to book it for yourself as another person with your UA MP number attached.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
As two data points, when I flew last year on the BRU-YYZ/YUL-EWR RTs (error fare), I was able to choose and pick the preferred economy seats for free during OLCI, but only on the BRU-YYZ/YUL and YYZ/YUL-EWR legs.

I wouldn't pay $100 for them, as I prefer to spend money on flights versus seats but the bulkhead seats behind Premium Economy on the Dreamliner are the most comfortable economy seats on the plane.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
As two data points, when I flew last year on the BRU-YYZ/YUL-EWR RTs (error fare), I was able to choose and pick the preferred economy seats for free during OLCI, but only on the BRU-YYZ/YUL and YYZ/YUL-EWR legs.

I wouldn't pay $100 for them, as I prefer to spend money on flights versus seats but the bulkhead seats behind Premium Economy on the Dreamliner are the most comfortable economy seats on the plane.
Agree 100% about paying extra for preferred seating. Only did this once in my life on a UA flight from AKL to SFO where arguably the extra leg room was worthwhile as I wasn't Gold at the time.

Just thought I'd provide a data point of my own on this one. In January I flew YYZ to DXB on AC using my Aeroplan miles (with reservation updated to have my UA Gold card on file). During OLCI was offered the standard economy seats for free and chose a seat directly behind the bulkhead row seats. The flight was on a 777 if memory serves me correct. Saw the bulkhead row seats and were not impressed at all. It offered marginally more leg room but certainly wasn't worth the $45 AC was demanding for them. IME AC's Preferred Seats can't hold a candle up to UA's E+ seating which I get for free as a Gold (regardless of fare purchased). In particular the exit row seating on the 777 allows you to fully extend your legs and still not touch the wall. Most importantly, I can book a window seat and get out of the seat and into the aisle without having to step over anyone, a feat you can't even do in J!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:28 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just an added data point - not only will you not receive free access to preferred seats, but you will not have free access to standard seats either. *G or not, everyone must pay for any AC seat at this point.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Just an added data point - not only will you not receive free access to preferred seats, but you will not have free access to standard seats either. *G or not, everyone must pay for any AC seat at this point.
Just to clarify that point. During OLCI you can select a standard seat for free but anytime before check in you'll have to pay for seat selection (unless you're on a Flex fare or better or are Super Elite with Air Canada). I'm waiting for the day that AC actually charges to select a seat at check in forcing me to skip seat selection during check in and play the seat lottery at the gate!

Safe Travels,

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.