Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Language censorship IFE

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Language censorship IFE

What’s going on? Tried to watch 2 movies recently and made unwatchable by the editing of simple words like God and f^%K being changed to gosh darn it and fudge
lhrsfo likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Totally unnecessary PC nonsense, IMHO. It's one thing censoring nudity because children might see it (although I notice they don't censor blood-curdling violence which is far more offensive and concerning), but children can't hear the soundtrack so it's particularly nonsensical.

Last edited by lhrsfo; Feb 28, 2018 at 3:00 pm Reason: Typo
Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:50 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by EWRMAN
...and fudge
Only I didn't say 'fudge'.

Anyway, I've noticed it too, but there doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason to it. One thing is edited on the the BYODevice entertainment, the next thing isn't. Same thing with the AVOD in business class. What would be nice would be for that to be one of the 'language options' in settings.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Agree. Don't think it is PC nonsense more but that IS probably off topic
Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
It's one thing censoring nudity because children might hear it
I'm curious how you hear nudity?

Don't think it is PC nonsense more
What else could it be? That's 100% what it is. Of course, FT is the same way...
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I'm curious how you hear nudity?

What else could it be? That's 100% what it is. Of course, FT is the same way...
Smells like religious, evangelical nonsense to me
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:10 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Smells like religious, evangelical nonsense to me
I tend to think of UA as a company that is anything but, IMhO.

Alaska for sure, but United?
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I am reminded of the time when Antonio Banderas in a roll of a serial rapist who was gay. People asked him if he was afraid of being typecast playing a gay character. Banderas was alarmed the people were concerned that he was playing a gay character. There was no concern that he was playing serial rapist.
In2ishn, MSPpete, rickg523 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Totally unnecessary PC nonsense, IMHO. It's one thing censoring nudity because children might hear it (although I notice they don't censor blood-curdling violence which is far more offensive and concerning), but children can't hear the soundtrack so it's particularly nonsensical.
I'm pretty sure they don't censor nudity, at least not in the Game of Thrones episodes I've watched.

Is it possible this is on e.g. a DTV aircraft and they are running the "cleaned up" version of the movie? I know for some films they will do an official "clean" version with dubs and cuts for TV release and it's not just an airline thing.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:49 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by findark
I'm pretty sure they don't censor nudity, at least not in the Game of Thrones episodes I've watched.

Is it possible this is on e.g. a DTV aircraft and they are running the "cleaned up" version of the movie? I know for some films they will do an official "clean" version with dubs and cuts for TV release and it's not just an airline thing.
Depends on the movie. The version of Wolf of Wall Street I watched on United was nudity free. Which means I missed half of the movie.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

On the new polaris 767-300
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
I noticed this while watching Three Billboards on a recent flight. Made the movie pretty comical. A lot of the censorship was poorly done.
mmayer, StingWest and HoyaSFOIAD like this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
A big giant break of silence at one part of The King’s Speech...this was on BR.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

I wouldn't mind if they pixelated nudity or even bleep Ed the swear words. But dubbing fudge in ruins the movie for me. Watching 3 billboards and a mother is talking about her daughter being raped and the fudging police not doing anything ... Ruins the dialogue.

The scenes of police brutality or the word negro isn't censored however make.of that what you will
In2ishn likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

BTW the 3 billboards film still has a r rating on UA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.