Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Language censorship IFE

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by username
I would hope that your own decency, common sense and courtesy for others will make you stop watching it.

Hell no. I have no responibility whatsoever for the busybody staring at my screen. What’s the problem? If you don’t like it, don’t look for crying out loud. And if you can’t help yourself, then obviously you want to see what you think you don’t want to see. ; )
Gee, what to say to your precious tot when he or she sees breasts? How about ‘that’s a body part that every woman (and some men!) have and there is nothing to be ashamed of”.
As long as United puts unedited R rated content on their IFE then I have a right to watch it.

But my questioned has gone unanswered.
Has anyone ever had the FA tell them to turn the channel? And do they have that right? What happens if I refuse?

And P.S. to whoever mentioned Veep upthread — I just saw the first episode. Thanks!
iluv2fly, JVPhoto and N104UA like this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
They removed the entire scene from America made when Tom cruise puts the plane in a steep turn then claims turbulence after everything goes flying

also I tried to watch kings man golden circle and the editing for language was terrible , killed the movie
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Originally Posted by chermorg
Wow, I have never seen people take so much offense to the removal of words found obscene, offensive, or vulgar by many from a video entertainment system that is available to all on board with little to no supervision. If it bothers you that much, maybe instead of relying on United to provide you entertainment you should provide your own entertainment, at your own cost. The adage of "given an inch, try to take a mile" seems to come into play here - United provides a decently large selection of both PDE and seat-back entertainment (on all but DirecTV birds) and people are complaining that it's censored so it's (for the most part) family friendly?
There are movie ratings and warnings about obscene and offensive language, so those offended have a choice not to watch such movies. However, if someone wants to watch a movie the way it was created, they should be able to, as long as the movie passed the rating procedure. Otherwise, this is censorship.
iluv2fly and chavala like this.

Last edited by FreFly; Mar 7, 2018 at 11:00 am
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FreFly
here are movie ratings and warnings about obscene and offensive language, so those offended have a choice not to watch such movies. However, if someone wants to watch a movie the way it was created, they should be able to, as long as the movie passed the rating procedure. Otherwise, this is censorship.
If you’re also interested there’s a good doc a few years back called “This Film Is Not Yet Rated” which tries to uncover the clandestine ratings process in addition to unearthing sexist double standards (ie women focused sexual gratification gets a more strict rating than male) and other things over the years.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JVPhoto

If you’re also interested there’s a good doc a few years back called “This Film Is Not Yet Rated” which tries to uncover the clandestine ratings process in addition to unearthing sexist double standards (ie women focused sexual gratification gets a more strict rating than male) and other things over the years.
Another great doc is called “Fudge” —- except it’s not Fudge ; )
Interviews with every comedian under the sun from Henny Youngman to Jerry Sienfeld all discussing the origins of the word and trying to figure out why people are so offended by it. It’s funny and quite brilliant.
JVPhoto likes this.

Last edited by chavala; Mar 7, 2018 at 11:25 am
Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Originally Posted by jkumpire
And especially if the IFE is on the seatback screens and someone in your aisle is watching something that offends you, simply ignoring it is not real easy to do.
If I said this to my psychoanalyst, we'll spend the next month getting to the root cause of this.
chavala and JVPhoto like this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Add me to the list of people asking "... is up with UA's version of Three Billboards?" It wasn't just that they bowdlerized the F-word and the C-word, they even overdubbed "crap" and "Jesus Christ." Like, did United buy the Saudia edit of the flick by mistake? I gave up on it 25 minutes in because it was too distracting.

(Disclosure: As a journalist, I sometimes have a hard time lasting six sentences without throwing an f-bomb.)

Update: I see that in a delightfully meta touch, FT's software replaced a three-letter abbreviation in this post pronounced "double-you-tee-eff" with an ellipsis.

Last edited by DCA writer; Apr 22, 2018 at 6:51 pm
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DCA writer
Add me to the list of people asking "... is up with UA's version of Three Billboards?" It wasn't just that they bowdlerized the F-word and the C-word, they even overdubbed "crap" and "Jesus Christ." Like, did United buy the Saudia edit of the flick by mistake? I gave up on it 25 minutes in because it was too distracting.

(Disclosure: As a journalist, I sometimes have a hard time lasting six sentences without throwing an f-bomb.)
I also found this distracting with Three Billboards, although I did get past it and watch the movie through. It was made more confusing by the inconsistency between movies; I had just watched something else before it, The Florida Project maybe?, and nothing had been censor-dubbed.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by DCA writer
Add me to the list of people asking "... is up with UA's version of Three Billboards?"...
The whole thing with that movie is made even more bizarre with the "PROFANITY; please be respectful of others around you" disclaimer at the beginning, because:

1) the other passengers can't hear the profanity, and
2) oh wait, THERE IS NO PROFANITY....because you just overdubbed it ALL anyway??!!!???

Very odd one.
gcashin likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
I can't envision UA censoring anything, as I watched the entire 1st season of Brockmire, and I heard every word and adult situation possible.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Add The Shape of Water to the list of censored movies on UA.
Old May 8, 2018, 2:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I experienced this yesterday watching The Hunt for the Red October on Private Screening. Hearing James Earl Jones say "Jeepers" instead of "Jesus" was particularly weird. They also turned "whale breaking wind" into "whale anomaly". Can't have the kids hearing technical terms for farts now!
Old May 8, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
3 Bilboards on SK in all its glory.
Can’t imagine watching it censored.
Old May 8, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
3 Bilboards on SK in all its glory.
Can’t imagine watching it censored.
If you can't bring yourself to imagine watching it censored, then you need to get your head out of your apple.
iluv2fly, BadgerBoi and JVPhoto like this.
Old May 8, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
I also found this distracting with Three Billboards, although I did get past it and watch the movie through. It was made more confusing by the inconsistency between movies; I had just watched something else before it, The Florida Project maybe?, and nothing had been censor-dubbed.
I watched Three Billboards and it didn't take long for me to recall this thread. It was distracting but I tolerated it. Strange it was censored so heavily but Game of Thrones was not. Typical United inconsistency I reckon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.