Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Language censorship IFE

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Lost
Seems like a simple solution is to include a pop up before the movie starts "This movie contains graphic language, violence, etc, etc. Do you want to continue? Yes or no."
Would this come before or after the Karrass commercial? Would it “work” too?
Old Mar 2, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Originally Posted by sannmann

Would this come before or after the Karrass commercial? Would it “work” too?
It allows people who want to watch unedited movies to do so, while those who don't to make an informed decision.

Honestly, I'm in the "yank the IFE and use your own device" camp, which is where I believe airlines will be headed in the next several years.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by N104UA
I had to turn it off after about 20 minutes as they dubbed in 'fudge' too much. I understand if a movie says F@#k once it twice and UA censors it out but in a movie like 3 Billboards, either just put a warning at the beginning of don't show it (And they do have a warning).
​​​
Also- I believe Woody Harrelson is contractually to swear 50 times in each movie.
Watched it on AA last week fully free of any dubbing/editing for content--as it should be.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chermorg
Wow, I have never seen people take so much offense to the removal of words found obscene, offensive, or vulgar by many from a video entertainment system that is available to all on board with little to no supervision. If it bothers you that much, maybe instead of relying on United to provide you entertainment you should provide your own entertainment, at your own cost. The adage of "given an inch, try to take a mile" seems to come into play here - United provides a decently large selection of both PDE and seat-back entertainment (on all but DirecTV birds) and people are complaining that it's censored so it's (for the most part) family friendly?
When something is right near a dividing line censoring it to move it below that line is reasonable. When something is far from the line censoring it messes it up. Either don't include it at all or leave it alone!

Also, what constitutes "family friendly"? Not all of us have the same beliefs about what is harmful.

The most annoying I have encountered was in a hotel in Utah. The pickings were very poor and my wife's English wasn't up to something too dialog heavy at the time anyway. We ended up watching an R-rated basically comedy movie. Bare breasts everywhere, softcore sex scenes. Despite that, they censored even remotely sensitive words.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

United called me today. A pleasant lady explained that when they license content they have 2 choices, the theatrical version or the censored version. They choose the censored version but they don't get to choose what is censored.

The lady shared my frustration but implied that it isnt going to change.

Interested to gauge opinion on here whether a bleep is better or worse than a replacement. Also if anyone knows of a supplier of content who is more flexible.

Also am I bad person for thinking that UA'S money would be better spent buying both versions rather than buying the versions for the hard of sight / blind.

Finally without knowing anything about this field does it suprise anyone else that UA might have to pay more to get both versions of the same movie?! From the little I know about licensing it shouldn't Matter if someone watches either version.

Old Mar 3, 2018, 5:55 am
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by EWRMAN
United called me today. A pleasant lady explained that when they license content they have 2 choices, the theatrical version or the censored version. They choose the censored version but they don't get to choose what is censored.
Thats interesting. Would be great if they could just have both audio tracks available like they do with the foreign tracks.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum
I agree with the others, the version of Three Billboards that United has is pretty much unwatchable. The overdubbing didn't even make sense at some points and is so ridiculously distracting. I tried watching it on a DirecTV plane first, and thought maybe the the on-demand on the 777 would be a different version since there's parental control on that IFE... but no. Both had the same version.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: AC SE
I'd watched Three Billboards last week, and similar to others, the censorship made it virtually unwatchable, and was quite annoying. I'd started watching it on MH and got frustrated with the censorship, but attributed it to be an airline from a more conservative country. When I resumed watching it on my UA flight, I was disappointed to find that it was just as bad. Guess MH and UA both picked the censored version. It was downright foolish with words including: fudge, frick, shoot, cook (for c-word), Judas Priest.

Hopefully UA sticks to original versions as much as possible with the appropriate warning at the beginning.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by EWRMAN
i don’t think that is quite accurate. A while ago I listed to a story (podcast?) about one of the companies that “puts together” (cut, dub) movies for airlines. Perhaps you can find it via Google; the company name was Global Eagle. In any case, they produce many different versions of the same movie that airlines can choose from. Different airlines have different requirements. Saudia probably would not be happy with the same level of censorship as United.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 11:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Any effort? An airline could avoid the entire "problem" by ceasing to provide any IFE, including movies, TV, music, games, etc.
I don't think there is any reason in today's complaining society that they should be trying to please everyone with IFE. Just yank it all out, put in power ports in each seat or row, and make it the responsibility of people to entertain themselves.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by mr8
Agree. I just have to stop a movie if there is any dialog censorship - completely ruins the experience.

What I don’t get is how some movies are/were NOT censored and others were. Is this a new thing? Cause I think I’ve seen *some* movies without any dialog censorship on united in the past.
I tried to watch Three Billboards several weeks ago, and had to stop after less than 10 minutes. I normally stop watching movies anyways once I notice that dialogue has been censored, but as others have mentioned, the way it was done for this film made it simply unwatchable.

So I then switched over to Blade Runner 2049, which was thankfully non-edited, as least as far as I could tell. And if you've seen that movie, you'd understand how bizarre it is that they offer a censored version of Three Billboards.

Finally, I was able to see the unedited version of Three Billboards on a CX flight last week.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 6:11 pm

I am one of those people who are offended by seeing nudity, sexual situations, and obscene language on IFE. IMO, if you want to watch it, see it, etc, then bring your own device and see or listen to it where others don't have to listen. When I fly United I try real hard to turn off the IFE so I don't have to watch it, but it is irritating when someone has the volume loud enough that others can hear it. And especially if the IFE is on the seatback screens and someone in your aisle is watching something that offends you, simply ignoring it is not real easy to do.

Years ago, because of a strike by UA pilots we were forced to go on an alternate flight from what we were scheduled for. We ended up in IAD for an LAX flight and my kids were split up away from us. My 10 yr. old son got sat next to couple who pulled their copy of Penthouse Magazine out, showed him pictures and were talking about how they would do things. Thankfully the FA said something and moved my son to another seat away from them. It took a while to explain to him what they were laughing and talking about in between kisses. I resented having to put up with my kid seeing something I considered obscene.

As chermog just posted, pull the IFE out, keep channel 9 to hear the pilots talk, and let other people entertain themselves as they wish to.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 3, 2018 at 8:48 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s)
Old Mar 3, 2018, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jkumpire
I am one of those people who are offended by seeing nudity, sexual situations, and obscene language on IFE. IMO, if you want to watch it, see it, etc, then bring your own device and see or listen to it where others don't have to listen. When I fly United I try real hard to turn off the IFE so I don't have to watch it, but it is irritating when someone has the volume loud enough that others can hear it. And especially if the IFE is on the seatback screens and someone in your aisle is watching something that offends you, simply ignoring it is not real easy to do.

You must have super hearing. Jealous
Old Mar 3, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jkumpire

Years ago, because of a strike by UA pilots we were forced to go on an alternate flight from what we were scheduled for. We ended up in IAD for an LAX flight and my kids were split up away from us. My 10 yr. old son got sat next to couple who pulled their copy of Penthouse Magazine out, showed him pictures and were talking about how they would do things. Thankfully the FA said something and moved my son to another seat away from them. It took a while to explain to him what they were laughing and talking about in between kisses. I resented having to put up with my kid seeing something I considered obscene.

As chermog just posted, pull the IFE out, keep channel 9 to hear the pilots talk, and let other people entertain themselves as they wish to.
If someone has their volume so loud that you can hear it from their headphones (skeptical) it's possible they will quickly turn it down once the first announcement from the pilot comes on and blows out their ear drums.
notquiteaff and chavala like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 3, 2018 at 8:49 pm Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit;removed repsonse to deleted material
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I find the censorship not consistent at all. For example, I don't think VEEP is censored at all. I remember years ago, they would censor the word penis but not the F word in Suits.

It seems to me that video censorship should be more important than audio. Sometimes these things get pretty graphic (either sex or violence) or embarrassing. For example, I was a little uncomfortable when Wilfred was humping stuffed animals...

Then you wonder how come they don't just choose things are are less problematic on this front. On the other hand, different things offend different people and there will be someone who complains.

I do like the new warning they put at the beginning of the programs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.