Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Language censorship IFE

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2018, 2:54 pm

I've missed out on this thread before, but add me to the pile of people who doesn't like the cut of Three Billboards. At first I thought the censoring was actually part of the movie and a nod to Battlestar Galactica's swear words.

Originally Posted by gcashin
I'd started watching it on MH and got frustrated with the censorship, but attributed it to be an airline from a more conservative country. When I resumed watching it on my UA flight, I was disappointed to find that it was just as bad. Guess MH and UA both picked the censored version.
I started watching it on UA and finished it on NH. Same cut. I chalked it up to *A putting it like that on all of their flights.
Old May 8, 2018, 3:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by venomtrilogy
add me to the pile of people who doesn't like the cut of Three Billboards.
I quit the movie after five minutes. Ridiculous.
N104UA likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 6:25 pm

3 Billboards

I saw Three Billboards on the big screen when it was released - after the movie, my only criticism was the amount of swearing - I thought it was a little excessive.

I watched it again last week on an aeroplane and the censorship with over dubbing profanity with other words was definitely worse than the original with a lot of swearing - give me the original any day.
Old May 8, 2018, 11:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I might have mentioned this upthread, so forgive my senior moment, but I remember going to school in Melbourne FL during the late 80s which received its TV broadcasts from the nearby Orlando stations, and those stations would censor everything - and I mean everything. Even the word 'damn' was off-limits, and quite often 'darn' would be censored too - by the time they finished cleaning up the weekly Golden Girls episodes, Blanche looked and sounded like a Baptist school teacher.

On an airplane, especially in business class, with a system that supposedly includes parental controls which block certain content, and given only the language is censored, not the violence, I am still trying to figure out the purpose of censoring the audio channel - but it sure reminds me of that obnoxious Orlando attitude from back then.
Old May 9, 2018, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I find it amazing that language, which is not audible to seatmates or passers by, is censored but guns, and killing people, which are clearly visible to all around, are left untouched.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 9, 2018 at 10:31 am Reason: Posts that are inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative are not allowed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.