FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Language censorship IFE (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1896248-language-censorship-ife.html)

EWRMAN Feb 28, 2018 11:42 am

Language censorship IFE

What’s going on? Tried to watch 2 movies recently and made unwatchable by the editing of simple words like God and f^%K being changed to gosh darn it and fudge

lhrsfo Feb 28, 2018 11:49 am

Totally unnecessary PC nonsense, IMHO. It's one thing censoring nudity because children might see it (although I notice they don't censor blood-curdling violence which is far more offensive and concerning), but children can't hear the soundtrack so it's particularly nonsensical.

MBS MillionMiler Feb 28, 2018 11:50 am

Originally Posted by EWRMAN (Post 29469673)
...and fudge

Only I didn't say 'fudge'.

Anyway, I've noticed it too, but there doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason to it. One thing is edited on the the BYODevice entertainment, the next thing isn't. Same thing with the AVOD in business class. What would be nice would be for that to be one of the 'language options' in settings.

EWRMAN Feb 28, 2018 11:54 am

Agree. Don't think it is PC nonsense more but that IS probably off topic

mahasamatman Feb 28, 2018 11:55 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo (Post 29469698)
It's one thing censoring nudity because children might hear it

I'm curious how you hear nudity?

Originally Posted by EWRMAN (Post 29469715)
Don't think it is PC nonsense more

What else could it be? That's 100% what it is. Of course, FT is the same way...

EWRMAN Feb 28, 2018 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 29469722)
I'm curious how you hear nudity?

What else could it be? That's 100% what it is. Of course, FT is the same way...

Smells like religious, evangelical nonsense to me

MBS MillionMiler Feb 28, 2018 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by EWRMAN (Post 29469758)
Smells like religious, evangelical nonsense to me

I tend to think of UA as a company that is anything but, IMhO.

Alaska for sure, but United?

zrs70 Feb 28, 2018 12:21 pm

I am reminded of the time when Antonio Banderas in a roll of a serial rapist who was gay. People asked him if he was afraid of being typecast playing a gay character. Banderas was alarmed the people were concerned that he was playing a gay character. There was no concern that he was playing serial rapist.

findark Feb 28, 2018 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo (Post 29469698)
Totally unnecessary PC nonsense, IMHO. It's one thing censoring nudity because children might hear it (although I notice they don't censor blood-curdling violence which is far more offensive and concerning), but children can't hear the soundtrack so it's particularly nonsensical.

I'm pretty sure they don't censor nudity, at least not in the Game of Thrones episodes I've watched.

Is it possible this is on e.g. a DTV aircraft and they are running the "cleaned up" version of the movie? I know for some films they will do an official "clean" version with dubs and cuts for TV release and it's not just an airline thing.

PTahCha Feb 28, 2018 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by findark (Post 29469885)
I'm pretty sure they don't censor nudity, at least not in the Game of Thrones episodes I've watched.

Is it possible this is on e.g. a DTV aircraft and they are running the "cleaned up" version of the movie? I know for some films they will do an official "clean" version with dubs and cuts for TV release and it's not just an airline thing.

Depends on the movie. The version of Wolf of Wall Street I watched on United was nudity free. Which means I missed half of the movie.

EWRMAN Feb 28, 2018 12:53 pm

On the new polaris 767-300

sannmann Feb 28, 2018 12:55 pm

I noticed this while watching Three Billboards on a recent flight. Made the movie pretty comical. A lot of the censorship was poorly done.

JVPhoto Feb 28, 2018 12:59 pm

A big giant break of silence at one part of The King’s Speech...this was on BR.

EWRMAN Feb 28, 2018 1:04 pm

I wouldn't mind if they pixelated nudity or even bleep Ed the swear words. But dubbing fudge in ruins the movie for me. Watching 3 billboards and a mother is talking about her daughter being raped and the fudging police not doing anything ... Ruins the dialogue.

The scenes of police brutality or the word negro isn't censored however make.of that what you will

EWRMAN Feb 28, 2018 1:06 pm

BTW the 3 billboards film still has a r rating on UA