Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Rumor] More Polaris "Enhancements" coming May 1, 2018? ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2018, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by EWR764
Word is out on another site (not my post) regarding a company memo about the May 1 "enhancements".

POLARIS SERVICE ENHANCEMENTS
Frequently Asked Questions

1. When do the service updates go into effect?
A: The service updates are effective May 1, 2018, on all long-haul international flights.

2. Why are we making changes to our United Polaris® service?
A: Customers have positively received our United Polaris lounge, and this year we are opening more United Polaris lounges beginning this summer in San Francisco, Houston and New York/Newark and in the fall, Los Angeles. As we continue to add more lounges, we want to take into account the feedback that customers have given us — they’ve emphasized their desire to rest and relax during their journey, especially onboard. The updates to the service flow will allow us to continue providing a premium product with high-quality food, wine, amenities and more, but it’ll be delivered in a more efficient way.

3. What is the new international United Polaris meal service flow?
A: The meal service flow for both first and business class will be the same:
Pre-departure
• Pre-poured sparkling wine, orange juice and water offered from a silver tray, with other beverages available upon request.
Main meal service
• Hot towels
• Linen placement
• Pre-meal beverage cart
• Appetizer and salad cart
• Bread and beverage refills
• Entrées
• Bread and beverage refills
• Dessert and pre-plated cheese cart
• Individual water bottles with hang tags
Mid-flight service (when applicable)
• Display mid-flight snacks on console, self-service unit, fold-down trays or galley countertop.
• Heat and serve hot on-demand items (when applicable) upon customer request.
Pre-arrival service
• Hot towels
• Pre-arrival tray setup with entrée and choice of beverage
• Breads and pastries

4. Will we be able to offer other pre-departure beverages?
A: Yes, upon customer request fulfill other pre-departure beverages in accordance with each departure country’s pre-departure liquor procedures. Refer to the Flight Attendant Policies and Procedures Manual to determine if you are allowed to open beverage carts/carriers that contain alcohol on the ground.

5. Is there still a chocolate offered during pre-departure?
A: Pre-departure chocolates/dessert will be catered on the pre-arrival tray instead for customers to enjoy during or after their flight.

6. What’s changing with the Bloody Mary and wine specialty beverage carts?
A: Wines and Bloody Marys will continue to be available upon request, but the dedicated cart service will change. This was a common flight attendant suggestion for improvement. A new branded cart cover is being sourced to improve presentation in the aisle and will be available shortly after launch.

7. Can we still offer wine tastings?
A: Absolutely. Although the wine arches with the 3 tastings will not be boarded, we can continue to honor customers’ requests to sample select wines.

8. What about the United Polaris first class soup and salad course?
A: The salad and appetizer will be delivered at the same time on a tray setup, instead of having a soup course.

9. What about the turndown service?
A: We will continue to offer the turndown service upon request.

10. Will Express Dining continue to be offered?
A: Yes, Express Dining will continue to be offered and can be requested and delivered at any point during the flight.

11. Will we continue to offer the mini desserts and fruit and cheese?
A: The mini desserts will continue to be offered from the three-tier cart with the signature ice cream service. In addition, pre-plated cheese will be added to the dessert cart. To make room for the fruit and cheese on the dessert cart, the specialty tea box will be removed from the cart, although specialty teas will continue to be available from the galley.

12. Are there any updates to the mid-flight and pre-arrival services?
A: There will be a few updates to both the mid-flight and pre-arrival service.
Mid-flight service (when available) – While we’ll no longer have formal presentation of mid-flight snacks, snack provisioning levels will remain the same and will continue to be displayed near the galley as is done today. Hang tags advising the customers that mid-flight snacks are available will be added to the individual bottle waters distributed after the main meal service. Hot snack items, when available, will also be delivered upon request.
Pre-arrival service – We’re removing tray table linens to reduce trips through the aisle. The tray itself will continue to have a linen liner. The pre-departure chocolate/dessert will be catered on the pre-arrival tray for customers to enjoy during or after the flight.

13. Will there be any new service items introduced to support the new United Polaris service?
A: Yes, there are a few new elements that will be introduced, including:
Cart covers – Similar to some of our competitors, branded cart covers for both the half and full carts will be boarded for use in the aisle on both the beverage and meal tray carts. Cart covers will be available shortly after launch.
Hang tags – To be placed on individual bottle waters at the end of the main meal service to advise customers that mid-flight snacks are available.

14. Will we be changing the domestic meal service procedures to align with the new United Polaris service (e.g. pre-poured pre-departure beverages)?
A: We will continue listening to the feedback of our customers and our flight attendants and will adjust our processes where necessary to deliver the best service for our customers.
Some key points:

- Return of the salad/appetizer cart, although I suspect it's just going to be the meal cart with a fancy cover, to reduce the number of galley trips with hand-run trays
- Beverage carts coming back to the aisle (similar to DL and the former 3-cabin sUA business class service) with branded cart covers
- Soup is gone in Polaris First (so no more differentiation; the product isn't expected to last the full year, anyway)
- Wine tasting arches are gone
- No bloody mary carts (already announced)
- Hot bites will stay
- Bread refills to be offered (return of the bread basket?)
- Pre-departure chocolates returned to the pre-arrival tray

In many ways, this is going to look like the former three-cabin BusinessFirst service with nicer linens and serviceware. Overall, not the sweeping change (or depth of cuts) I was expecting. No word on provisioning of the other items (gel pillows, mattress pads, slippers, PJs, etc.)
Print Wikipost

[Rumor] More Polaris "Enhancements" coming May 1, 2018? ...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, SAS Diamond
Originally Posted by PPM
Last year, I flew 250,000 premier qualifying miles and spent nearly $30,000. I spent another $50,000 on star alliance carriers because of the better premium cabin services. This year, I have 3 international BF and GF trips that will get me to $12,000 spend to requalify for 1K, and the rest of my international travel will be on Air Canada, LOT, SWISS, and Lufthansa. I truly think the combination of poor service products and the 8-across business class seating and only two lavatories in BF make this product a dinosaur. How they get people to pay the actual BF fares is astonishing to me.
For 10 years I've been a 1K, but 2017 was the beginning of the end of flying UA, well, with paid tickets that is. Not one single GPU went through even though I booked flights many months ahead. I'm basically over it with the upgrade lottery.
So my travel has started with NORWEGIAN and more with SAS. Flying from Norway to Oakland or LAX on Norwegian has cost me around $500 one way in Premium. Not bad right?! On the return I just use UA miles..
I certainly miss the days when UA was UA, but we'll see if red nose airlines does it better from now on. Their service is great, yummy meals and you can order whatever you want of drinks on the touch screen tv for free. (unless you're in the back)
Old Feb 11, 2018, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
That's because US airlines don't care enough to properly train their crews, offer recurrent training, and strict policies on compliance - and take remedial or punitive action against non-compliant staff. Mess up a couple times on ANA, JAL or CX - you're out the door - mess up hundreds of times on UA/DL/AA across decades of service? No problem.

The issue starts from the top, because management allows this culture to fester, so we're left with the majority of FA's being either "nothing to complain about" or "horrific", with only a select few that we find so amazing that we need to praise them.

Praiseworthy service should be the standard, not the exception - and I guarantee that if some of these lazy, rude, nasty FAs were shown the door, there would be a line of 100+ applicants waiting to fill each and every vacancy.

Since when did the US airline industry promise employment-for-life?
I think the management of United and AA would love to be able to take remidial or punative action against FAs that didn’t perform to a high standard of service. It’d actually be financially beneficial to have more turnover and a staff of motivated employees. The challenge is that collective bargaining does not give them this flexibility. Changing the management culture or paying the FAs more are not magic solutions either.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
To me, what it boils down to is the old axiom, "You have to spend money to make money". UA seemed to 'get' it when they first rolled out Polaris, but ever since Kirby has come on-board, it has been the exact opposite, Smisek-like mentality of cut first, ask questions later.
The Parker/Kirby America West was also the airline that started charging $2 for water and took out entertainment systems onboard (this was I think 2007 - before the smart phones and PED?). To their credit, they quickly reversed the $2 water decision but I switched to WN for all my shorthaul out of PHX.

Oscar hired Kirby to make UA more profitable like AA and Kirby probably took one look at these things and said they must go Like we want something for nothing (i.e. our loyalty ), they want to make money without spending money
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spin88
off full fare. discounts used to be (pre- "changes you will like") lower, but are now for certain accounts 50+%. And yes, OALs have discounts as well, but I don't know of them offering the kind of steep discounts UA is offering at this point (DL is not, nor to my knowledge is AA, but perhaps someone has seen them).

Let me give an e.g. lets say I need to go SFO-LHR week after next fare is $10,069 on UA, $10,455 on VS, and $10,457 on BA. If I have a corporate rate with Apple (just as an e.g.) then the actual ticket is more like $4500 on UA. (They have a discount with delta as well, but my understanding is that it is not as deep).

However, if I look out at Thursday March 29 - Thursday April 5, I get fares of $3612 on UA, $3850 on VS/BA, but these P fares are likely to only get a 10% or so discount.
Thanks for the outline, spin88 - very informative!

Originally Posted by cricketer
Reporting back from FRA-SFO today:
  • Hot Bites were listed on the menu! One of the FA's said they are gone eastbound to Europe, but available on the westbound daytime flights as most people stay awake. I have no idea what was available for the hot bites because I unexpectedly slept for 6 hours :-)
  • Lemongrass Chicken. Holy Smokes. This might have been better than the spicy chicken udon noodle thai curry soup. I tend to avoid rice (given that I gorge on the dessert options), but the accompanying rice was surprisingly soft and moist. The chicken was tender and cooked just right. And the lemongrass sauce - wow.
Thanks for your feedback! Good to hear the hot bites Westbound are still around. I guess the acid test will be come May.
Lemon grass chicken rocks!

Originally Posted by zitsky
What is service like on the South America flights? I find SA service to usually be inferior. I have two overnight flights in December and probably will eat dinner in the terminal, not on the plane.
In case your destination is Brazil, I found catering quality & taste very out of there poor, especially GIG - a good reason to dine before flight.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Thanks for the outline, spin88 - very informative!

Thanks for your feedback! Good to hear the hot bites Westbound are still around. I guess the acid test will be come May.
Lemon grass chicken rocks!

In case your destination is Brazil, I found catering quality & taste very out of there poor, especially GIG - a good reason to dine before flight.
I'm going RDU-IAH-SCL-EZE-IAH-RDU. We may just use the flight to sleep on what I hope are decent flat seats. Dinner is pretty late both times.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
The gel pillows were above 9A on my 77W the other week. I think someone else a few days later posted the same on their flight.
I'm pretty sure that's where they were on my EWR-TLV flight in August. They were right above my seat so I didn't have to search....
Old Feb 11, 2018, 3:32 pm

Has anyone found where the mattress pads are? I plan to ask for one when I board, but have heard how hard it is to get one.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by spin88
off full fare. discounts used to be (pre- "changes you will like") lower, but are now for certain accounts 50+%. And yes, OALs have discounts as well, but I don't know of them offering the kind of steep discounts UA is offering at this point (DL is not, nor to my knowledge is AA, but perhaps someone has seen them).

Let me give an e.g. lets say I need to go SFO-LHR week after next fare is $10,069 on UA, $10,455 on VS, and $10,457 on BA. If I have a corporate rate with Apple (just as an e.g.) then the actual ticket is more like $4500 on UA. (They have a discount with delta as well, but my understanding is that it is not as deep).

However, if I look out at Thursday March 29 - Thursday April 5, I get fares of $3612 on UA, $3850 on VS/BA, but these P fares are likely to only get a 10% or so discount.
I've seen in the NYC-LHR market all 3 of them (AA, DL, UA) pricing about the same for their big corp accounts - around $4-$5k roundtrip for walkup J.

Back when AA had full 3 cabin service on that route they would routinely confirm those fares into 3 cabin first - an even bigger implicit discount.

Transcon first $999 one way for a walkup biz fare was long a standard for the big accounts - again seen it on all 3. That's how JetBlue approached its pricing - give a 'corporate' price to the little guy which ultimately disrupted the public pricing.

Big corp discounts off the full fare basis are not unique to UA by any stretch.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 6:01 pm

United Airlines Polaris is a joke. How do
you market all these things and then don’t execute any of them? Why is it impossible for United to just have a consistently good product?
demkr likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by fly18725

I think the management of United and AA would love to be able to take remidial or punative action against FAs that didn’t perform to a high standard of service. It’d actually be financially beneficial to have more turnover and a staff of motivated employees. The challenge is that collective bargaining does not give them this flexibility. Changing the management culture or paying the FAs more are not magic solutions either.
I don't think Polaris promised better FA's lol but why not throw it on the list of complaints!?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by adambrau
I don't think Polaris promised better FA's lol but why not throw it on the list of complaints!?
60-70 yr old FA's who can barely move.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:13 pm

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by twkidM3
60-70 yr old FA's who can barely move.
Let me repeat, UA Polaris did not promise better flight attendants. Some of the best flight service comes from the cabin attendants who have flown for decades. Some older FA's are lazy. Just don't see how this is germane to Polaris cuts, or lack of them. Other than being offensive
chavala likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
i attended the Polaris event in Chicago. There was much talk of service improvements. I guess the news didn’t get to the
FAs.

Of course we were also treated to serving stations of the new Polaris chow. none of which in my experience has even made it on board a plane.

All smoke and mirrors.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:34 pm

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by milepig

i attended the Polaris event in Chicago. There was much talk of service improvements. I guess the news didn’t get to the
FAs.

Of course we were also treated to serving stations of the new Polaris chow. none of which in my experience has even made it on board a plane.

All smoke and mirrors.

What did you expect, UA would kill the seniority system that all US airlines use? Relating service levels to age is offensive. Although I know you did not post that - the poster before made the ageist comment. Adding not germane to discussion...
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
What did you expect, UA would kill the seniority system that all US airlines use? Relating service levels to age is offensive. Although I know you did not post that - the poster before made the ageist comment. Adding not germane to discussion...
No no no. Oscar convinced me that there was some hope of setting and monitoring new service levels. I believed him. All fake news.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.